1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer desk... which out the 2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pac-man, 15 Jul 2011.

1. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I have a relatively small office space area and am in need of a new desk. Because of the space available to me, (maximum table size I can fit is L:110cm and W:78cm) I'm looking for a dining table as opposed to a computer desk. This is because comp desks tend to have hardly any length to them and are pretty much all width. In short, I'm trying to make the most of my available space :)

I've been searching for a while now and have whittled the choices down to 2.

Table 1:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNITY-Black-G...rniture_SM&hash=item1e64a6666c#ht_1136wt_1139

Pros:
    + Black glass (I think black glass looks slick)
    + Good length and width

Cons:
    - I can't get information anywhere regarding the tables width measurement from inside leg to inside leg. I understand the table width is 74cm end-to-end but considering I'm going to be sitting on this side, I need to take the inside leg measurements into account. I don't want to end up feeling cramped
    - IMO, the Silver legs look tacky though this is a minor gripe - I guess I could spraypaint them black

Table 2:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40116051

Pros:
    + Flexible due to drop-leaf
    + More leg room and width

Cons:
    - I'd have 1 leaf up and this would give me 89cm versus the others 110cm
    - More a subjective con but the material is wood and I'd prefer black glass... (though I know practicality is more important than looks!)

Some advice would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

P

2. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Did you look at the Ikea Vika System tables? Some of those might be contenders too, like the Vika Veine. A little more expensive, but there are other Vika options that are half as much. The big plus with these are the extras you can add on, like drawers, shelf parts etc.

4. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Puzzu:

I've looked at its specs and it's a good length but it's too narrow :( (60cm).

@lysol:

Similarly, good length of 99cm but a width/depth of just 60cm is too narrow. I'm aiming for at least 70-75. However, I do like the possibility of being able to bolt on add-ons. Certainly a cool concept

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I have a Vika system table that is 74cm deep, but it's also 148cm length. Perhaps they make something shorter, but the same depth. I don't know about UK, but in US they often only have a very small selection of things available online compared to in store. You might have to go around to the shop and see.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S19836972

There are a couple of people that have seen my office and ask them it is very small now this desk just fits but you can expand this unit or make it smaller.

It is so sturdy as well. If I was you take measurements then go to ikea and check this out

7. j.col

j.col Minimodder

its expensive, but that is one nice desk, i want it ;)

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

if you carefully below there are other ones of the galant range

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

10. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the GALANT range is certainly nice. Just wish I had space for the table. I did actually go to IKEA last week to have a look at tables and wanted to get this - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60119826

However, it was out of stock. On second thoughts, I'm glad it was because at a length of 120cm, it would have been too long!

Those dimensions look decent. The pic looks like one of the larger models?

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It probably it, they all look like that though :) The double cable manadement holes are really useful too :)