1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oc summit 2011

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by brave758, 30 Jun 2011.

1. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Haha i said to dave we should have popped his 580 in there :dremel:

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Oh and suffice it to say i didnt go on the pull round london in that Thermaltake T-shirt

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Glad to hear you had a good day, it was a pleasure meeting so many bit readers face to face.

Unfortunately, Asus HQ didn't allow any LGA2011 boards out of Taiwan for the event, but you did get to meet Andrew (the Taiwanese guy), who is one of the leading product managers on the Republic of Gamers motherboard series.

4. RayWitts

RayWitts What's a Dremel?

True but Andrew Wu is ROG product manager ( nice guy and his English was good ) was a pleasure to speak to and hope he got some good feed back and ideas to take back to the design engineers

5. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was awesome to finally meet some of the guys whose articles i have been reading for years.
    Think some of the guys will be picking up some sandybridge kit after that.

Would have loved to see a pro overclocker with some LN2

6. RayWitts

RayWitts What's a Dremel?

Would like to get into LHe/LN2 Cooling but don't have the hardware or cash for it at the min

7. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Wait..... You wore the Tattoo???????? Maybe that's where I'm going wrong....

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

ahh shame i missed this - sounded good!!

Tatty ygpm by the way :)

9. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Lol chickin' obviously didn't drink enough.......

10. Tattysnuc

Hi Guys

Those of you who selected motherboards as your prize, were there any of them that were Socket 1155?

Tatty

11. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

I got an P8P67-M Pro - which I believe is what the overclocking competition was based on.

12. fir3x

fir3x fir3x

Has the write up about the event been done?

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's nearly finished, we're just waiting for the final edit of the video to come through. All being well, we'll publish it next week.

14. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

We going to see the write up soon? I want to see it beofre I go on holiday and have not internet connection for 2 weeks :(

15. Tattysnuc

16. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

17. Tattysnuc

You sure? It said P8P67 printed on our board.... I didn't see an M, but I do conceded that they do look VERY similar.

The ONLY reason that I looked at what was on the board was because we were going to look up the details on the forums, but couldn;t get a siganl in ther :( Didn;t need it anyway :)

18. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

It was an m-atx board.

I think one of the problems we all might have had with the RAM overclocking was that it was in the wrong slots! The RAM was in the furthest away slots and actually it should have been in the closest ones (according to the manual) for the first set. How much difference it would of made I don't know, but by not having a manual available we definitely lost out on a potential winning piece of information.

19. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, so long as your pairing across C1 or C2. One of the first things we did was going in an reset the ram timings down from 9-9-9-24-T2 to 8-8-8-20-T1 and increase the DRAM voltage. I suspect that we might even have got a bit more than that out of it but didn't want to risk frying it :).

20. Tattysnuc

It doesn't look like an m-ATX board in the video - see 49 secs in - 5 PCI/PCI-e ports not the 4 of the m-atx baord. Additionally the article says P8P67 motherboards, but that could be a generalisation for the range. Maybe there was a mixture of boards, after all, Bit-tech do very highly rate the p8p67-m for it's overclocking and this was an overclocking event... :)

As for the manual, it was in the motherboard box under the desk. Nathan dug ours out...:) Our RAM was installed in slots A2 and B2 which is what the manual says - I've also not found any advantage on my P8P67 pro board from switching the ram slots around to date, but TBH I haven't pushed mine passed 5Ghz for fear of killing my 2600k... My room also gets too hot from the exhausted heat........ I wish it was :brrr: again.....

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011