1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA confirms 2011 launch for The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm still hoping it will turn out OK.

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

TBH, apart from Bit-tech and a few choice forum members here who say they're beta testers, all i've heard about the game is positive.

Whilst I usually trust Bit-tech's judgement on things, from what i've seen and heard, it sounds exactly like what i'm expecting and/or want.

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Hopefully there will be an OSX version

5. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

Good luck with that... It hardly seems likely, specially since you can just load up windows on your mac.

6. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'm pretty sure dragon age 2 and mass effect 2 came out at the same time on PC and Mac so I don't see why they would not release this on mac too.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

They've specifically stated that there isn't a Mac Version for Launch, but it runs fine on bootcamp.

I can find you the link if you want, but i cba atm.

8. Sonofalich

Sonofalich What's a Dremel?

I've played the beta.. I played up to level 25 and decided to stop there rather than spoil the rest of the game. I have to say I didn't enjoy the first 10 levels of play through what so ever... felt so crap and just a total won clone and didn't feel special what so ever.

However I persisted and kept playing and I found once I got to level 12 I actually got immersed in the story, which normally I don't give a rats ass about...

The only bad thing is in certain parts you really just don't care what people are saying... sure I love the voice acting for main story line quests as it makes it feel epic. But when some guy is taking 2-3 mins to explain he wants me to kill a few dinosaurs because of blah blah blah white noise blah blah, i couldn't give a ****. That's the only down side.

The game itself felt good, and I think it has a lot of potential I think you just have to take it for what it is and realise that Rome (wow) was not built in a day. It has a few features missing but I'm sure they will be added later, people always seem to forget that the polished shiny machine that is world of warcraft was certainly a different game in vanilla with a lot of features missing that people just take for granted now.

All in all I think it will be a good game and I've preordered my copy last night... It was very expensive at £60 for a digital collectors edition which would be the only bad part to be honest.

9. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

I may purchase this as im looking for a game to take me up to dark millennium online (warhammer 40k mmorpg) which wont be out for another year and a half. I refuse to play any more WOW, eve i just didn't get in to and forsaken world just seems to lack depth (crafting and slow start, i'm level 28 hunter and only played for 2 days and i haven't read any story of the story line)

50 quid for the standard package and a month free, what are the monthly sub costs?

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Thought it was £45 for a Standard Package, £40 from Game if you want the boxed edition.

Monthly subs haven't been announced yet... just assume it's the same as most MMOs atm.

11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Cant wait for this game, everything I have seen has been what I want, except the crafting side of things. Nothing beats SWG crafting, and for some reason, no MMO since SWG has had that level of detail and dynamic feel of crafting.

If there is an MMO coming up that will have a role for people who enjoy the economy side of things, gathering, creating and selling for most of the time then I will definitely get it, until then I will play SWTOR :)

12. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Seems Game have taken down the collectors edition pre order, was up yesterday with no price anymore and today the page leads to an error.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Eve Online :p.

It takes a bit of time to actually get into it, however the economy is completely player driven and involves Mining, Refining, Researching and Mass Producing.

Must have sold out :(.

Apparently the USA sold out of both the Collector's Edition and Digital Deluxe in a few hours.

14. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Wow obviously their pricing strategy works then! Though they must be missing huge amounts of sales due to the limited quantities, seems a bit like shooting themselves in the foot.

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Probably, however i've also been on the other side whereby i'm frustrated because "everybody" has a Collector's Edition and it's not really anything special anymore. I mean the price is something to separate people out, but i wasn't surprised when i heard it had sold out.

The limited quantities (in total, over the 3 editions) are because preorders include early game access (by a few days). I'm hoping this will make it so they can effectively stagger the initial influx of players and reduce the amount of Day One hustle/bustle.

16. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Flip side is I bet a huge majority of the orders are speculative purchases to be resold for extortionate prices prior to release. Bit of a double edged sword.
    Also dissapointing they released to only a single UK retailer with such an narrow opportunity to place an order.

I must admit for me personally the collectors had just enough shinies and physical extra's to make it worth a purchase. But I shan't order the regular version as it simply doesn't justify its high price tag when it comes with nothing special. Likely a lost sale but hey whatever works for them, I'm sure they can afford it.

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I hope not :p.

I'm hoping to buy the Collector's Edition at a later date when it comes down in price for the physical extras :(. I saw all the discounted Cataclysm Collector's Edition on sale in Game and was hoping something similar might happen >.>

I'm just really disappointed they didn't do either mirrors for physical/digital and/or do a more "Halo-esque" Tier system.

I.E.

"Legendary" - Current Collector's Edition
    "Limited" - Everything but the statue (or something along those lines).
    "Standard" - Speaks for itself.

And then ideally they'd have Digital Versions, for those who don't need it in physical form, similar to Mass Effect 2's Digital Deluxe Edition - Scanned Artbook, Digital Soundtrack etc.

Basically i'm just annoyed that at some point i'll have to fork out to buy a Security Authenticator and the only edition it came with was the £130 version :(.

18. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This game will be one of the most important milestones in MMO history.

S*D

19. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

What the smeggin' smeg is wrong with these smeg-'eads? £130??? For a smeggin' game???? Smeg!

What kind of total wally would spend a hundred and thirty notes on a single game that then had a monthyl subscription fee????

20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Monthly subs don't bother me.

Nights out at Uni cost way more than a simple £15 a month (assuming worst case).

As for £130... it's expensive yes, but you could say the same about MW2 NVG, BLOPs RC Car and any of the Halo Legendary Editions... and i'd put more hours into SWTOR than any of those.

Tags: Add Tags