1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming World of Tanks Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Jul 2011.

1. NewGoldDream

NewGoldDream What's a Dremel?

Well that was not meant as an insult, but I simply can´t believe that when you played all these battles, you didn´t notice all these obvious game lacks and you never heard of Ghostshells, bad Spotting system and so on?

I have to admit, that I myself also played it a lot for encountering the goods and bads for my own game project (3500 battles), but the fun/frustration ration isn´t get any better as much as you hope for it. No matter in what Tier you are, if the match is against you, you can play as good as you want - you encounter bounces/richchochets, no penetration hits, no damage hits, Ghostshells and so on. Sometimes you even get one-shotted and don´t know why (really hard to bring down 1650 HP in a single shot, but it happens and NOT caused by arty). I have paid now 100+ Euros for the game and still have no Tier 10 in sight (and I am not the biggest payer - more an average one)

For a review note like yours, the game has to be nearly PERFECT! I had a game magazine (printed) myself, and I never reviewed an unfinished game - and unfinished it is. And I never saw a game - yet - that has earned such a number. There is always something which could be made better - in this case it is a LOT that could be made better. In my eyes it is round a 65 in it´s current state, but only for the idea, otherwise it would be much less.

Imagine you bring out COD MW:2 with just one game-mode, a matchmaking system like this, a graphic engine like this and enemies that simply vanish in front of your eyes. You shoot and you don´t know if you hit, enemy´s pop out 2 meters away from you etc. And for that you already have to pay money. Compare this to a game like WoW (which I personally not like) but for your monthly money you get full access and a LOT more to do, to explore in a MUCH bigger world and so on. Here you get only 50% more creds and exp. more for nearly the same costs. Even a premium tank cost the price of a full price game and thats just 1 tank!

If you have that lot matches I asume you played also Beta then.
    Well a lot has changed to the worse since then and it´s a huge difference if I get some gold for free to test it, or to pay with hard earned money for it.
    To develop a game like this cost a lot of money and this WG company surely is no charity club. As much as I would like to believe the game just lacks in itself at the moment, the more I play the more I believe it´s just a money pit which is completly dice-rolled. And evidence for this is more than for the opposite.

The bad thing is - WG makes advertisement with your review, making people believe, they have the perfect game in sight.

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, I have occasionally encountered those issues, but I've found them happening a lot less than they did in the early stages of the beta. That's why, I didn't focus on them in the review, instead focussing my criticism on the matchmaking system - which still does need a lot of work.

Most of those issues are usually caused by bad/unlucky aiming, so I'd disagree that they have nothing to do will skill. Are you using auto-aim? I stopped using that in the beta, as it nearly always results in bounces. Plus, a lot of players forget to change ammo (AP or HE), depending on the situation, and keep firing AP against targets they can't hope to penetrate like stupid robots.

LOL, that's probably me in my Ferdi! Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that. More seriously - you do know that there are critical hits? i.e. fuel and ammo explosions?

3. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

newgolddream, you have to research each tank in ur tier, to find its weakspots, i use a kv2 to earn cash and know almost every weakspot of my enemy, the t29 with the dodgy "ear" turrets for instance !, do ur research on the tanks and it pays off, iv been playing free for 6 months and have no major issues with the game, apart from stupid teammates, lol

4. misterd77

and mr lizard, hopefully my is3 will meet ur ferdi one day, what ur username ?, mines is Macrae.......

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Jump on the bit-game channel (password is the same as the name) and we'll platoon up. My ingame nic is lizardgun.

6. misterd77

thank you, kind sir, xd

7. misterd77

and for the last word....

yes, you will get killed a lot with a stock tank, and yes it takes ages to grind a new gun/engine etc, and yes the matchmaking can be dodgy, BUT, team up with a few peeps over teamspeak, get a decent mid tier tank, and you will have some of the best teamplay game mechanics there is, nothing makes you feel more godlike than a few plattoons teaming up to rush an enemies cap, a well co-ordinated assault or defense is what makes this game SHINE, and the clan war feature just makes the game even better, putting ur rep on the line for gold and terrority, its a dynamic and exciting game, and at only £8.50 per month for premium, quite cheap tooo, WOW subs are around the £15 mark, so it represents great value if you decide to pay, if not, well, stop moaning, you got it for free!, lol

8. NewGoldDream

So you mix uo two different things here. First you say how much fun it is to play in a platoon - then you refer that the game is for free in comparison to e.g. W.o.T.
    Well as you certainly know - Platoons are for max. 3 users only (not a complete bunch as in other games AND you need a Premium account for this what means: paying. So what now? Do I get the game features that make fun in your opinion for free? NO!

quod erat demonstrandum

And you speak about a COORDINATED attack... with 3 people? Even if there are only platoons doesn´t say they are in your TS to coordinate. Due to the impossibility to search for maps and certain games you are put in a game with your platoon randomly. How big are the chances to meet another platoon thats also in your TS?

And yes, I played in these small tiny platoons and yes I know how to aim, and not use auto-aim since Tier 2. You believe I got 3500+ Battles done with auto-aim? I even wrote a "How to play game basics guide" there.
    I got 11 kills in a STUG and shoot and hit from 300 meter in full drive with my T-54, but thats not the point here. The point is it is review like the nearly PERFECT game and that quite isnt the case.

Just take a look into the forum of W.o.T.
    These cases are NOT about skill, these are about game failures that have to be cleared (in fact I dont think they will fix them, because as said - this model makes you pay from one time on and they wont change what brings them money.)

-The spotting system IS bad, bush or not bush. If a KV-5 can just vanish in an open base just by stopping 50 meters away there is something wrong there. Even my Grandma could see it with bare eyes.

-The MM IS bad and doesn´t even consider the slightest the configuration of each tank, which is essential for the ability for penetration, damaging and so ergo the battle outcome.

- The Graphics ARE compared to what I have seen e.g. on the demonstration on the E3 of BF3 below average. (Before that I would say average) You not even see attachments on you tank, you have no visible destruction model, you have 1 first person view (compared to ANY racing game way below standard) etc. pp.

- The gameplay IS unfair due to the intransparancy of the game system itself. You don´t know how much damage you cause and why e.g. Could be you hit everything without even aiming, could be you hit nothing by stand still and pinpoint the target at the exact weak spot.

- The gameplay also definetly lacks in the calculation routine cause these bounces and else are sometimes not possible. (e.g. when I´m in the Tiger 2 with the big gun and have a PZIV on his side shooting him 3 times there what is there to bounce? Even an unskilled crew with the lowest gun sould be able to hit it wherever, but direct in the side?)

- the game Physics ARE just average. I got stopped with a 60Tons tank by a small heap of rubbish, I got stopped by a small 50cm cliff, when I shoot with a 12,8 PAK at a house theres not even a whole and so on. That things like this are standard you can see e.g. in BF BC2. when I shoot at a balcony it comes down, when I shoot at a wall it comes down and so on.

- And the gameplay lacks by most of the stock tanks in higher Tiers. When you speak of the Ferdi. Tried to get on a hill or even a small slope with Stock? It´s game over before you get there. Tried to turn with it? And you have to go like this for 50+ Battles. Fine for guys with much time, unplayable for part-time gamers. And even more: part-time players without a Premium account. How long should they play for a competitive tank? months? A review has to also consider this in my eyes. If you give it a 95 this counts for EVERYBODY hardcore players and fun-players for in-between.

And have you never considered that this unfair gameplay is made by intention to get the money from frustration to speed things up?
    You reviewed an unfinished game, compared features that you have to pay for, sign it with "for free" and put it in eye level - if not above - Retail games like COD MW2.

I can´t even select a map so what´s the use for having to research all these guns and configurations? What good is a HE gun in a wide open range map? So I can´t fix my tank regarding to the upcoming battle - definetly worth a 95?.

Again this game here has only 1 game mode - it is not even possible to train and explore maps on my own. No single player mode, nor game modes at all. worth a 95?
    Again the graphics are average not fitting todays standard more the standard 3 years ago. a 95?
    Again: the game main center the Matchmaker is absolute crap and the grind is horrible. a 95?

I can understand in a way that you had some kind of enthusiasm cause the basic idea is very good, but a review is a CRITICAL eye for all and everyone and should be as neutral and fair as it could be and should show a clear comparison to every other game on the market - viewed from todays standard and possibilities in my opinion.

If you can testify that this game has the same - or more value - like COD, BF3, BF: BC2 or alike in ALL cases, like the above mentioned then I can understand a note like this.

95 in my opinion is for a nearly perfect game that is hard to get better no matter what you think of. It could be improved only in a very very slight way and range. Everything else (EVERYTHING!) is near perfection and couldn´t be made any better. They are nearly no features that else could be implemented - thats a 95

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Have you not heard or/tried the company battle mode? It allows you to form teams of more than 3 players.

The spotting system is far from perfect, but in the thousands of battles I've fought a tank has never disappeard out in the open that close to me. 500m yes, but never 50m.

So your complaint is that a game that is out now isn't as good looking as a game that hasn't been released yet? Sorry, but that's a ludicrous complaint :duh:

Yes, you can't see binoculars and camo nets, but you can see damage effects (holes in armour/flames/tracks blown off.

You already get a gunners view (good for sniping) and over the shoulder view (good for driving). What other views do you want? It's not a console game where the views are fixed either, you can pan and zoom easily with the mouse.

Again, that's just ludicrous :duh: The game already tells you graphically (the % health of the enemy drops) and audibly (your crew tell you what sort of damage was done). What else do you want? A print-out?

Have you ever played a computer game before? They all include some randomisation, otherwise the game would be the same every time (boring) and incredibly frustrating for new players.

That is true, but BC2 is pretty unique in the amount of destructable scenery it has - there's a reason we awarded it our Technical Innovation Award of the Year 2010.

Well, the Ferdi is a tier 8 vehicle, so I hardly think it's appropriate for casual gamers; besides, as so many of the Lowe commanders keep demonstrating, they wouldn't know what to do with such a potentially powerful vehicle.

A competitive tank? Every tank is competitive. I strongly suggest rebuying a tier 1 or tier 2 - they'll still competitive, despite being less well equiped than higher tier vehicles.

The reason states there is only one game mode, but you can train and explore with friends in a risk free environment - simply select 'Team Training' in the battle menu.

Anyway, enough of this forum malarkey; I'm off to play this great game we're debating :D

10. NewGoldDream

Good that you pinpoint some fragments of sentences to underline your review and rip them of the context. If you would just take a look at all the complaints made in the forum, then you might change your mind. If I would be the only one who recognized these lacks - o.k. call me crazy, but there are 1000s and 1000s of posts reporting all the same - strange isnt it? Are they ALL stupid and only you have found the golden key?

And as I can remember you dont get any exp nor creds in company mode or did they change that?

These vanishing tanks e.g. - there are tons of picture proofs (and 50m is far away for some of them) and even the devs admitted that this "could" be the case, but can´t be fixed easily - but you of course NEVER encountered this and because of that it doesnt exist and worse: it dont have to exist.

These Ghostshells e.g. There are at least 500 people who reporting this alone. I encounter these in nearly every third game. Just had one were I fired 15 shots with a Ferdi and NONE of them hits - all bounce, richos etc. and I had the top tank and enemy had a lot of one-shot preys. Game was lost 14:1. Right before I had a game fired 19 shots - ALL hits - not even a critical. Game was won 13:4

And BF3 was just an example - COD:MW2 has also much better graphics - compared to this even COD: United offensive had similar or better graphics and that is a couple of years old.
    You say this every time the same animation of falling tracks and this little tiny bullet hole is a destruction model? Ye a tank hit by a 12,8 PAK looks certainly like that after it.
    And it is a perfect game that make the Sniper view for all the same - no matter if you drive a Tiger or an A-20?
    So you say this is the Top-Standard and nearly couldnt´be made any better?

And yes its really good if I want to encountr a map in training and NEED another one for that. I said I want to encounter it, check the spots and so on and not battle in a training map with a Maus...

And as you said BF: BC2 was awarded 2010. What was the actual year again?

Only thing Im sorry off is that you obviously has lost a neutral and also critical look at this game, if you defend this that much and doesn´t even countercheck with other opinions in the forum there, to see if something of this MIGHT be true in the end - even if you are one of the few people who never came across these things.

Im even more sorry that people that rely on your review expecting the perfect game. They will regret it after spending the first 100 bucks on an endless grind.

By the way I never said that I dont like the game at all. Its fun its kinda addictive and it might have a lot of potential. But a review for a 0.6.5 version could not be based on potential alone.

11. NewGoldDream

I forgot why it can be why you never had these spotting problems - they fixed it with the 0.6.5 patch - for the worse. So you will certainly see vanishing tanks very soon.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I quite like it.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's a lot of points NewGoldDream, but as someone who's never played it, the fact you've played it so much and have dumped €100 into an otherwise free game just makes me think it's worth every bit of that score.

I mean, if someone like you who writes unending paragraphs about its problems still invests that much time and money, that's makes me think it must be one of the best games ever made.

14. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian is a good read, maybe I should be saying this to the company of heroes team. Also another good read recently was Masters of doom by David Kushner. Gaming related publications could be a nice extra for this site.

15. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

If you enjoyed those books I can thoroughly recommend Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck and By Tank Into Normany by Stuart Hills.

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

17. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

My next world war 2 book is Tigers in the mud by Otto Carius. Guderian witnesses development of some of the best tiger variants.

18. Panos

Panos Minimodder

The game is great fun. Enough said.

19. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

It's actually odd that angle of hits was never used really, since it's a known entity as part of most all game engines you would think, and for many years, so all they had to do is use the info.

Tags: Add Tags