1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide July 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 11 Jul 2011.

1. lizoron

lizoron What's a Dremel?

I am getting the LGA 1155 so i can overclock the 2500k i5. what is so bad about these boards that you dont like.. im actually getting the GD55 for only $99 which seems like a very good deal compared to the online market.

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I've got a bit of useful advice for you: think fully before posting, or, alternatively, use the edit button. 4 posts in a row, then 2 posts in a row then another two. Great way to get your post count up, as well as annoy many.

3. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

Firstly why would i care about the amount of post I put up here. Secondly the truth hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Jul 2011
  4. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

I have a question: if you budget the same amount (£90) for a PSU in both the Gaming Workhorse and the Premium Player why not recommend the superior PSU in both cases instead of two different models? :confused:

5. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

not getting into a flaming war but how can you say the truth hurts when no-one actually no's the truth yet?

6. timevans999

what i mean is the sandybridge is good at x86 32nm quad should have come out over a year ago and they held it back for marketing, but because of the rumormill we all knew this and refused to buy. And what matters is that the speed of the bulldozer could be slow but i still wont have a sandybridge. really what im saying is that intel bring out more sockets than you can shake a stick at and the sandybridge was an excuse for them to have another. The sandybridge will be old hat in 2 months does that truth hurt?

7. timevans999

The way to buy psu's is to over do it for example if you think you need 650w get a 1000w when you start adopting this policy you will notice a marked drop in psu temps and overall temp drops.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But you're not operating in the right efficiency gap. PSUs are generally designed to work in the 50-75% power range. Who cares if it runs hot if it runs silently? Seasonic achieved this with its X-series two years ago.

This is simply not true. It's what you want to believe, sorry.

As an ex-moderator here - staff will ask you to condense your posts into a single one rather than post several. It's forum etiquette.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The high end SB processors (i5-2500k, i7-2600k) will not really be outdated for ages (for most of us - those with seriously intensive work programs are still going to need to keep upgrading at the same rate). Even when they become outdated they have shown a remarkable ability to OC. Add into that the fact that they run reasonably cool and I reckon mine is going to keep me going at least for the next 3 years.

Neither of us really knows the tech behind the sockets, but the change from the 1366 to 1155/6 socket seems to have been a positive one - and maybe one of the reasons why Intel keeps drawing further away from AMD as it gives their devs some extra freedom.

10. parrais

parrais What's a Dremel?

I'm keen on building something that closely matches the affordable all-rounder, but in a microATX case (e.g. Fractal Design Arc Mini) - is that likely to cause any problems?

11. Mr-Tucker

Mr-Tucker What's a Dremel?

Is it worth waiting for bulldozer over sandy bridge? I'm tight on money at the moment and want the best bang for buck and if that involves waiting, I will. (I've been waiting for a year, every time I get ready to buy hardware, new components release and I wait it out. So I need a 3rd party opinion.

Also any recommend a 1080p monitor? (As Bit-Tech hasn't included any in the guide).
    A keyboard and mouse recommendation would be good too.

As you can tell, I haven't bought hardware in a long time, 7 years actually and with myself being tight on money, I don't want to mess it up.

12. timevans999

Relax man.

13. parrais

parrais What's a Dremel?

Is an August guide expected?

14. bosko

bosko What's a Dremel?

hi bit-tech

have u some stranGe buzzinG or Coil Whine in Premium Player sytem?

my system:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz cl8 KIT - 1.50V
    ATI Radeon 5850
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB
    1,5 TB WD black
    current PSU Enermax Liberty 620W Modular. it works fine, but is litlebit outdated.

i have bought corsair TX850 V2, and its helll buzziiingg!!! i have tried all what they tell me, still no luck. have XFX PSU the same buzzing/coil whining?

Ty

15. lizoron

lizoron What's a Dremel?

im thinking of getting a gtx 550 ti OC instead of a 560 TI to save some money... anyone think this is a bad idea in terms of performance?

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

That depends on what resolution you're playing at. 1920*1080 will really strain the 550Ti in a lot of games, but I'd imagine you'd be ok for a while at 1680*1050 on most games. Depends on how important gaming is to you.

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

A Radeon 6870 outperforms a 550 Ti yet is cheaper than a 560 Ti. Try that.

There is of course the 560 non Ti to look at as well.

18. lizoron

lizoron What's a Dremel?

Yea gaming is very important to me however, my budget decreased more than expected now, so im not sure. My system will be:
    intel i5 2500k
    GX 650W
    4gb corsair dominator 1600mhz
    thermaltake frio
    msi p67A-GD55 Mobo

i will keep my eyes out for the 6870 if it seems like the right price for me now.

19. Chriscogley

Chriscogley What's a Dremel?

we all love the invention of the SSD it was a true jump in the right direction :)

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Don't bother getting dominator RAM, for that price you could have 8gb of Corsair Vengeance, or just save £20 and get a normal 4gb kit.

Tags: Add Tags