1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This is ultra tidy.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Fixed & completed the tut so people won't knacker their fans ;).

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Jase :)

Holy moly I need sleep but believe I need to edit the tut wherever I posted it :duh::hehe:.

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Cover the fan stickers with a circular piece of copper.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Someone else just said that on another forum :hehe: & I agree it could be good :D better than the stickers, cheers Achron :).

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Heh, right.
    Stickers would have ruined this ultracool scratch build, so you did the right thing. A crazy idea: sandblast (or just sand) the PSU case for a metal look?

7. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice work Waynio its all brushed up and lacquered very nicely :thumb:, sorry if its already been shown but do those fans have LED's in, it would look sweet seeing a glow through the letters on the side of the fans.

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I have thought about getting it down to the metal & polishing but I'm unsure if I want to risk it, never opened a PSU before :blush::D we'll see, I mean if I have to order more copper at all I'll order some mirror polished copper to make the cover or add bits of trim to where the stickers were, I do have a dremel engraver but never really used it, could get some practice in on it & add the name of the case :hehe:.

Thanks mate :) the lacquering went well overall mostly but there are some areas that need stripping & lacquer reapplying it dripped a little & it doesn't look nice in the spots where it did, I'm surprised no one noticed it on the cable side of the mobo but should be an easy fix :thumb: I'm surprised how hard wearing the lacquer is though for such a super thin coat, who needs anodising honestly :D I believe I could use that ink stuff I used early in the project but not for black as it looks a bit purpleish.
    But lighting :confused: I still haven't made my mind up about lighting, think I need to experiment a bit to see what I'd like to do about that, the only lighting so far that is in the build for sure is the enermax apollish fans in the hdd area & the mobo lights & the power switch :lol: so yeah I need to experiment to find what I want in there for extra light :thumb:.

:hehe::clap::D Cheers Alex :).

11. KidMod-Southpaw

I've tried it like that, the frame doesn't fall out because a haven't pushed the clips with a needle, so the frame stays in place.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I updated it mate & can't see anyone mucking up their frames now ;), luckily they aren't silly expensive like the apollish fans :eeek:.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

£7.18
    That's still a lot for me to buy 3 or 4 more.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

You didn't break 4 did you :eeek:.

15. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

the fans look awesome with the copper strips.

Hell, it all looks awesome.

This is so much fun to watch, it just keeps getting better.

And thanks for the tutorial, this just gave me some ideas... :D

16. KidMod-Southpaw

No! Take a look at my new log, I have 3 in my haf 922 at the moment, so I need 3 more the 360mm intake grill I have got for the new scratch build.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks jokkos :) things are going a bit slow again, been stripping some bits of the lacquer down & re-applying to get it done better before I move on to other bits of the mod.

:D Ahh I subbed ;) interested to see what you do for your first scratch build, you need any help at all giz a shout mate :D.

Just got an update on the scroll saw blades & they were out of stock of one of the items & they are using a quirky courier I never heared of before :lol: so I guess I won't be able to do the front copper piece until next week :duh: unless the delivery comes on a Saturday which I doubt.

-------
    I said about how I was having a little trouble with the metal lacquer, well I got most of it sorted now but a new problem has come :duh:.

When I stripped off the lacquer I figured I needed to use the satinising mop on the patches but on the right side I made did it wrong & the brush finish doesn't all flow as it did when I did the so called final brushing, instead it looks like 2 different finishes, look at it from 1 angle it looks good on the top end & different bellow it & vice versa so I think I'll have to re do the right panel but hopefully not completely, I'll take some photos tomorrow, to be honest it's an easy fix really but a PITA with all the drying time required :D.

-------------

Got the right angle ATX plugs but both ends are male :duh: so they will need modding, the scroll saw blades came also & made a start on the the front bottom copper panel, should have that made today it will take a while to do since I'm cutting the pattern out on an angle so instead of cutting 2mm copper it's more like 4mm or 5mm, got 2 pieces cut out so far :D.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2011
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The right angle ATX plugs & scroll saw blades came on Saturday :clap:.

But, looks like the right angle ATX plugs are for soldering to the motherboard with both ends being male :duh: I aint soldering anything on the motherboard :lol: so those 5 bits are heading straight to the random bits box probably never to be used, probably :D.

So I've ordered a male & female ATX plug & I'll make a custom extender that wraps around to the rear of the mobo panel so it doesn't obstruct air flow, this isn't a bad thing really as I'll be able to make the 24 pin cable go in the shape of the curve with the extra slack I'll gain from this.

I started out on the front bottom copper panel & was my first go at cutting on an angle with the scroll saw, quite difficult really as it turns a 2mm sheet into 4 or 5mm & it catches easier so got through quite a few blades & I had to press a lot of force downwards to stop it jumping around (wasn't that bad all the time but I'd say 50/50 so just did piece by piece spreading it out over the day & finally got the rough cut done, now it needs a good sanding session on the bevelled edges to get rid of any jaggies, things have moved forward that bit more :D.

The metal lacquer I had some trouble with, the first time I lacquered it all it left some drips & some blobs, I stripped those areas down, re-brushed & re-lacquered & all is mostly fine except the right side panel where the brush finish got messed up & the top right area doesn't go in form with the rest so I'm thinking of stripping all the lacquer off, re-brushing & re-lacquering, PITA but needs doing really if I want it as my best effort, I'll just have to be more careful when I lacquer it next.

Also since the perfection thing has got a grip of me I'm going to try to mill drill some of the side panel windows a little more because some aren't quite flush to the alu & it's irritating me whenever I look at it & see a glare from the windows that are sunk in by 1mm or less :D.

Got some nice shots though with the morning light, enjoy :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]