1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Fan For Megahalems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 25 Jul 2011.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hey guys, currently running a push pull setup on my megahalems with two Gentle Typhoons (1850rpm 120x25 57.6cfm 28db) with an overclocked i7 950 (4ghz). Temps reach the high 70s with Intel Burn Test (82c was the max which happened on the first core). So I've planned on buying a new fan to help with the temps and a few I've come across are

Ultra Kaze 3000rpm (133cfm, meant to be extremely loud)
    san Ace 101 (can't find it on any uk site)
    rexus/panaflow (114cfm, can't find this on any uk site either)

I've heard I would only need 1 of these rather than using a push pull setup with them. Any advice on better fans (or ones with similar performance) or any other means of cooling my rig (Don't think I could afford water cooling just incase anyone suggests lol). Cheers :)

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think your hitting limitations of the heatsink rather than the fans. A better investment would be a better cooler, like one of the Hxx series coolers...

Failing that there's always the 5000RPM GT's, but they are loud :p

3. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

A better cooler did cross my mind. hmmm just wondered if any of these coolers in the top 5 would do any good from this site http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm or would I be better off with a H70 or H80?

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What case do you have?

5. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

In my sig mate, Cooler Master HAF 922

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Does that have a side fan?

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The only way to lower temps any further would be to put something really noisy on your cooler, like a Delta or Nidec.

These coolers actually do scale very well when you put more powerful fans on them, because the fins are packed very close together and the cooling performance improves with better airflow - eg. when I ramp up the speed of my CPU fan to 4000rpm, it knocks at least 10C off LinX load temps... but it's too loud to use all the time.

If your IBT load temps are 82C, what's the problem? You aren't going to run it every day (or are you?) and general PC use, even gaming, shouldn't push the CPU much beyond 65C.

8. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

The HAF 922 is a beast of a case, to which fitting a side fan is an option but it's designed a little oddly for it (you have a big mesh that the fan would be sitting in the middle of). I don't remember exactly without going home and checking, but I believe the side mount will only take a huge fan also. It's the case my girlfriend has - comes with a front, rear, and roof fan.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It's not a beast, I moved from my HAF 932 because it was too small...

10. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

If you don't mind me going off-topic for a moment, what did you need the extra space for? Was it the water cooling loop?

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, and I'm prepping for skt 2011, and something tells me those boards are going to be massive...

12. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

No side fan, just stock case fans and my two fans on the cpu. Nah it hasn't pushed 63 in any game I've played (Crysis 1-2-warhead, gta 4 with graphics mod). Hmm It's more to do with me wondering how bad my idle/normal cpu temps are (at the moment real temp is showing 46-41-45-41 with max temps at 58-57-51-49

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nothing to worry about - my CPU idles 40-45 and frequently goes over 60 if I'm gaming.

IBT temps are extreme and not representative of everyday use, so I'd say you are absolutely fine. These i7s run very hot! :thumb:

14. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

cheeers. so my last question is that I'm worried about my qpi/vtt voltage being 1.415 to run stable. anything lower and I bsod. I've seen some saying don't go higher than 1.35 but I'm only stable at that volt with a bclk of 180 max

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There is A LOT of misinformation regarding "safe" QPI voltage, so take what you read with a pinch of salt. QPI is related to the integrated memory controller on your CPU, and if like me you have a CPU which has a crappy memory controller, then you'll need to compensate with high QPI voltage.

For 191x21 I need 1.4v QPI
    For 200x21 I need 1.5v QPI

1.415 is fine. Are you at 191x21 or 200x20?

16. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I would just say remember prime95 and intel burn test are worst case senario benchmarks, even in heavy video rendering/editing the cpu's don't get anywhere near that hot, but i digress. If your still thinking of purchasing a new cpu cooler, I would seriously suggest, the NH-D14, its a monster of a cooler, I got the same temps you hand on your 950, on mine when i had it (it was a crap chip so I got rid of it) I had to use about 1.4v to get the damn thing to 4Ghz, To my mind nothing matches the Noctua, and for a plus, its bloody quiet too!

17. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

cheers mate, im running 200x20 at the moment :). The noctua aye, think ill have a look at that too, thanks

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Also worth mentioning that these CPUs prefer odd multis, so you might be able to considerably lower voltages by going for 191x21 which is what I did for 4GHz :thumb:

19. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

:) i actually tried shooting for that before hand however, I then can't run my ram at its rated 1600mhz. I THINK it hits something along the lines of 1440+, any noticeable speed loss running the ram at a lower clock?

20. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

not really, unless your doing something quite ram intensive, it shouldn't make that much of a difference, put it like this it won't hinder you in gaming :)