1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Alcoholic Beverages Suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by Jake123456, 25 Jul 2011.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've never even tried alcohol. The smell turns my stomach. If it smells that bad (and it ALL smells that bad, thank you) how could you dare to put it in your body?

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree with this for the most part. I've tried every bit of alcohol that's ever been offered to me, and most of it just tasted like, well, alcohol. Not only does it taste vile, alcohol consumption seems to aggravate my deviated septum.

In some ways I wonder if my completely unrefined tastes have made me miss out on what is supposed to be one of life's great pleasures: good drink.

I will say that I've had a couple of beers that I actually enjoyed, but I much prefer tea and coffee.

3. MrBobandy

MrBobandy What's a Dremel?

1) What was the temperature of the beverages you didn't like the smell/taste of? For me, any warm alcohol is just disgusting, but as soon as it's chilled, it's like a completely different drink for me.

2) Have you tried the lighter flavoured alcoholic beverages? Sometimes to get into the big wide world of one thing, you need to ease yourself in. Just like with different activities like swimming, you can't always just jump into the deep end. Companies like 'Brothers' and 'Rekorderlig' produce flavoured ciders, which are actually really pleasant. Kopparberg pear cider is also really nice tasting in my opinion. Other things like flavoured cocktails and other light drinks
    can ease you into the flavours of things like regular cider and even beer.

I'm not the biggest drinker myself, I don't like beer at all, but ciders of all kinds are what tend to tickle my tastebuds (as you may be able to tell). Before I liked cider though, I just didn't like ANY alcohol at all. Really what I'm trying to get across is that you shouldn't absolutely rule out ever drinking alcohol- you may just end up liking it.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This.

I don't get why people need an explanation when I say I don't drink.

Anyway, enjoy adulthood Jake123456. But enjoy sensibly ;).

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Some of them I have tried....such as Leffe....That drink should never ever ever make it out of the production line...And Budvar, my mate is hooked on it, I can't really see the big thing about it tbh...

My mate at work wants me to try a Handgrenade....Sounds kind of cool...But deadly....

EDIT: Also changed the name of the thread to make it suggestions to everyone ;)

Let all be known that this is the Alcohol loving thread ;)

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I didn't picture you as a Laphroaigh guy - good man. Cheers.
    Personally I just ordered a bottle of 18 year old from the Laphroaigh friends webshop, and I hope the norwegian customs won't give me too much hassle. :thumb:

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Right off the bat: There's some quality advice in here.
    Quantity vs Quality is an obvious point of contention, and really only boils down to the budget and how hammered you want to get.

Some obvious choices from my side:
    Tequila. So long as it's not the bottom-drawer-cheap rubbish, you'll be fine. Be careful, though. It hits you when you get up to go pee and think you're fine after the 5th one. And that hit is like a freight train.

Double Tequila + Red Bull.
    Dangerous combo. Most alcohol is a downer. Hence Vodka/RB being so popular. Tequila is more of an upper in my experience. Two T/RB's and you're on your way to having a good time.

Jack Daniels.
    Opinions on this differ. It's NOT a scotch, so don't drink it like one. Drink it in shots. Or with coke.

Black tooth grin
    All forms of this. The 4 shots of booze (various) and some coke. Have fun.

Tequila and OJ
    Yes... it works. Better than Vodka/OJ

Red Wine
    The better, the better :D. Unless you're plastered, quality>quantity. So start with the good stuff and work downwards. After the seconed bottle it's all juice anyway. ;)

8. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I really need to start devolping into Wine...I just haven't had good experiences with it XD

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Drink what the natives drink, and you're not off half bad.
    Vodka: best sold premium Vodka in Russia :Russian standart.
    Whisky:...I settled for the scottish whisky (appearantly) most sold in scotland. Glenmorangie ...can't go wrong, but you can always specialize ;)
    Wine: large, large field. I France, you can drink anything directly bought from a "Cave"...mostly this is table wine though. In Britain wine is prohibitly expensive. Here in Germany we get a very nice selection of wines that won some unknown prizes in France, for instance the "price of the french ministery of agriculture". Again, can't go wrong there ;) (and they're dirtcheap)
    Comments on previous posts:
    Jack Daniels...is a bourbon and not a whisky ;) yes, there's a difference, it has it's own fans though.
    Stroh 80...isn't meant to be drunk uncut, it's for mixing and setting things on fire (no really, see "Feuerzangenbowle")
    Becherovka...drink frozen. Well, it doesn't freeze, but when it becomes like sirup, you've got the right temperature (well below -10°C) ;)

Russian standart definitely passed the test (blasted at night, no headache in the morning) :thumb: we had the gold and platinum variant...nice
    There's supposed to be a very good ukrainian vodka one with pepper (or was it chilli) can you advise?

10. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Becherovka...That sounds pretty nice... What type of drink is it?

11. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Godfather
    Jack Daniels, Amaretto + Coke. Yum.

Jägerbomb
    Jäger, depth charged into redbull

Skittlebomb
    Similar to Jägerbomb but with Cointreau.

Skittle Vodka
    Not done this one yet, but have been meaning to for a while. Get a bottle of vodka, and lots of skittles. Separate the different flavours, and put each into a seperate bottle and fill with Vodka. Shake the bottles well and leave them to sit for a few hours. You then filter out the white crap from the middle of the vodka (kitchen towel over a jug will do), put the filtered vodka back into bottles, and then throw them into the freezer. They'll be near pure vodka, and sweet as skittles, so you need to be careful with how much you drink. Here's a picture of the finished product:
    [​IMG]

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Skittlebomb sounds VICIOUS.

EDIT: By "vicious" i mean "Really really tasty. Probably tasy enough to have a few in a row and go down-downs on that stuff..."

Caointreau is an EVIL drink. Especially on ice and an empty stomach... sip away. you'll feel it after the third one.

13. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Holy crap....That skittle vodka looks so nice....Oh God, I'm going on holiday in September and I am deffo getting some of them made up, how long do they take?

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If we're going for cocktails/mixes...

The Four Horseman

into a glass put one shot of the following [in order]

Jack Daniels
    Jim Beam
    Johnny Walker
    Jose Cuervo [if you like tequila... Jamesons if you don't..]

i forget the name of the next one but it's a mix [usually 50/50] of cider and calvados [or other apple brandy]

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  15. Xir

Xir Modder

Czech spirit...well it's a Digestif really, which is why it's bitter.
    The point is, the warmer it gets, the more the bitterness comes out.

16. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Is it best drunk with something? Or drunk neat?

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yet another thing to try! The candyvodkas over in Finland usually include salt liquorice and tyrkisk peber which is.. you guessed it, salt liquorice, but of different variety :D

Oh and something I just thought if is Habavodka. That's on my list of "never again", as the name kinda says, it's habanero chili in vodka.... Just imagine the combined burn of the damn chili and the cheap, nasty vodka, when you had no idea it was a trap and took a good long sip.

EDIT: and from my experience it doesn't really matter if Becherovka is warm, cold, straight or mixed, it's going to make me very sick.

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I would try ease into spirits tbh, you can drink them fast and nothing will happen then it will just hit you like a shovel..

I learnt all this the hard way.

19. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I used to drink Vodka alot when I was younger, well I say alot, it was just the cheapest option to get drunk then.

I only ever had Smirnoff, which is yes cheap, but at the same time its decent chilled.

Now the worst tasting Vodka has to be Glenns, that stuff tastes like Methonal..

And is there any certain Vodkas you would use for Skittle vodka? Cause that really has taken my fancy

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Cheapest :p