1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Bulldozer, AMD give a sniff of a launch date

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nikols, 24 Jul 2011.

1. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

3. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

lol yeah decided to let the dice roll one more time with bulldozer... They have to roll a six at some stage, right???:idea:

4. bulldogjeff

Deep down I'm hoping they do what they did a few years back and smash Intel into the floor. I can't see it happening though. My i7 940 rig was good enough for what I needed, so if Bulldozer can out run the 990X and come in at a good price, that'll do for me.

If you listen to some of the gossip Bulldozer will be better than sandy bridge.
    If the release dates are true, we'll be finding out in about 6 weeks time just how good it is.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Sauce please, only benchmark I've seen so far shows Bulldozer barely keeping up with 3 years old Intel tech, let alone SB.

I'm with you with the floor-wiping wish though.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I thought the only benchmarks saw it keeping up with the 980x?

7. bulldogjeff

Thats what I was referring to when I said if it can beat the 990x I'll be happy, which when you think about it really is a powerful beast. When I look back it's not really that long ago I was overclcoking my E2160 to 3.6Ghz and feeling really smug about it. CPU tech is coming on so fast these days we've all gotten a bit complacent and just expect every chip that hits the market to slaughter last weeks latest and greatest chip.

8. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

that is nothing compared to what this leak shows

[​IMG]

should notice the 10 core processors coming out next year, as well as the presumed date for the HD7xxx series graphic card (ie its not coming out this year :( )

it is also interesting to note that "budget" processors would be included in the quad core family

vr-zone link:
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-2012-desktop-roadmap-leaked/13081.html

9. Marty7n

Marty7n What's a Dremel?

iv just bought a quad phenom 955,im building to encorparate the bulldozer lol so im and like a lot of other people around puting faith and money in the underdog.hopefully they pull through strong and smash intel but as they say its a leap frog buisness intel will always retaliate like amd :lol: all part of the computer buisness.thats a cool leak but whether its true or not is a different story,hopefully it is and a 10core cpu will be realeased!

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

While everyone's sitting here so smug about Intel performance, there are things that a 1090T can beat a 990X at. So please, please, PLEASE go let the dead horse beat you somewhere else.

Last I've seen, BD will have quite a nice showing, and the piece of paper that I sign yearly or so means I can't say any more.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Tbh I waited for SB for 2 weeks bought it straight away and was happy... For a month until I had to send off the mobi and still haven't got my system running yet

Moral: never wait for tech :)

12. Marty7n

Marty7n What's a Dremel?

Iv been using intel,but switched to amd recently and just as impressed as i was with intel,its a leap frog buisness,one will always try out do the other at the end of the day!

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You speak the truth. It's more than I need what I have already. But what if I wanted to do more eh? I'd be pissed!

One thing that confuses me is why there isn't quad channel or triple channel memory with the amd stuff. I mean, they are missing a trick here surely?

14. bulldogjeff

With 4Gb sticks readily available and getting so cheap that even I'm thinking about going in for a 16Gb kit it's not totally necessary. The server boards and stuff like that have been kitted out with multiple channels for ages. I shoved 12Gb in my X58 rig purely based on price, when 6Gb was fine.

I'm sure that as time goes on we will see triple and quad channel boards hitting the mainstream, but price could well prove to be the prohibitive factor.

One things for sure an Octocore CPU on quad channel would be some cruncher thats for sure.

The other thing that AMD might be planing is to save that sort of stuff for when DDR4 comes along.

But it's all speculation and I might just be talking a load of bollox...lol.....Or do I have a crystal ball...mmmmm :naughty::naughty:

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You know Interlagos has dual mem controllers and quad channel, right?

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

As much as I want AMD to be competitive I just don't want to get my hopes up. AMD is what got me into the enthusiast PC world to begin with. Athlon 64 was the first CPU I based a build around.

17. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

Back in the day it was AMD all the way for me, particularly around the time of the P4 (which could happily replace your central heating system). Unfortunately when the cores started multiplying, AMD dug themselves into a hole and haven't managed to get back out yet. I know there is still a market for their CPUs, but in the end for a general purpose gaming/work rig you don't want to be looking anywhere other than Intel.

On the other hand, of course, the market has swung from Intel to AMD and back to Intel, maybe it's due for another swing back to AMD.

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I really hope amd can pull something off. Would be great seeing them make a comeback at the higher end again.

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

In another thread I posted a benchmark where the 1090T beat the i7 980x... so I agree in some scenarios the 1090T is better that the i7 equivalent (puts shield on)

20. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

I am all ready to go BD, everything is in as far as other HW parts but no CPU.....so still trashing the 1090T.....

Tags: