1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays "3d" pc monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Podge4, 28 Jul 2011.

1. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I was wondering whether the tech in a 3d tv and 3d monitors are similar or totally different.

The reason i ask is there are more 3d blu-ray players and films coming out and Nvidia has 3D Vision, so if you plug a pc with 3d vision into a 3d tv i would assume that it would work. So, if you plug a 3d blu-ray player into a 3d pc monitor would that do the same job?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Generally same thing. Any display with 120hz can do 3d really. Some old stuff like dlp or plasma screen can even, but depend on how much ghosting one can suffer.

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It depends upon the TV. All 3D monitors (that I know of, at any rate) are 120Hz-capable screens that flash alternate images to shutterglasses, much like NVIDIA's 3D Vision. Some 3D TVs are also alternate-frame-sequence, but there are other types too - Toshiba has demo'd autostereoscopic screens (which obviously don't need to use frame sequencing) that use lenticular sheets.

Be aware also that while there are a few displays that can do 3D - including some CRTs, old DLPs and old '3D-ready' TVs - not all can do 3D at the full resolution.

3D BluRay players output over HDMI 1.4/1.4a and at present only support shutterglasses, so if you can find a monitor that supports HDMI 1.4/a then in theory yes, it should work just fine. However, I think you're probably better off just buying a Blu-Ray drive for your PC (£39 from Scan) like NVIDIA recommend.

4. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

Waste of money in my point of view

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

+1 ips panels are way more useful tech for same money.

6. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

if i ever did decide to go down the 3d route then it would be more a occasional thing and novelty rather than a necessity. it was more just a query weather the 2 types of screens used similar tech. if the price of a 3d tv drops like a stone and is good i may consider it but when you can get 42" screens for about £400 (and cheaper in some cases) is it worth it, probably not.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011