1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SpeedLegion, 22 Jul 2011.

1. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

YGPM! ;)

Zeus-Nolan and wyx087 like this.
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

huge thanks! everyone, give this man lots rep!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2011
  3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Think yourself lucky Wuy, my good Samaritan has not PM'ed me yet :(

4. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Pm sent.

Sorry, I live in the U.S. and it's morning right now and I just woke up.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate, didn't mean to sound pushy. That's an amazing act of generosity.

6. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

BALLS! that is all, finally found out what email my account was linked to and I have a Code from Dice for the alpha.. just my luck to find out now 3 days before it ends :L

either way Dl'ing now :)

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Wait, the Alpha ends in three days? :(

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Yeah. Ends on the 1st of August.

Don't fret though, you'll get a good taste for it. Then only a few weeks to wait until the Betas start turning up.

9. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Well luckily for me I've got the weekend off work so can play alot :)

Only way for beta access was the preordering of MOH right? (just to make sure)

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Damn, I'm working this weekend! So annoying.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Having played it a lot over the last few days, I have to say I think I'm going to get this on Xbox instead.

Having played BFBC2 on PC and Xbox, I promptly sold my PC copy because the Xbox platform doesn't give anyone an advantage, unlike PC with the mixture of hardware, monitors and peripherals to gain the edge.

Even though I've got a fairly meaty computer and a decent setup, there's clearly people out there that are either playing on the Met Office's supercomputer or they have keyboards for hands and usb ports in their ears.

Either way, sad to say - Xbox seems to make the Battlefield experience more accessible to everyone, even if the L33T kids whine <--- mute em all.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Really... ?

13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Erm what?

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I knew I'd get some stick for posting that but I wholeheartedly believe it. Don't get me wrong, FPS games are much more fun on PC. I grew up on Half-Life through my Uni years...

..but when it comes down to frame rates and the difference between them deciding a match, or the quality of someones gpu and it's ability to render sharper images at higher resolutions, then there isn't an 'even battlefield' is there. Just my thoughts! :)

15. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

But your rig is fine for the game, If it was crap then i would understand going for the console version. At any rate, if it chugs then it's probably because the game is in alpha.

The only peripheral on PC that i would say gives you a noticeable advantage is a higher quality mouse. The $200 keyboards, flightsticks or rumble chairs don't give people god like skills.

Besides, on xbox, you have people with modded controllers who can't be kicked. You have the framerate chugging along at 30fps and the low resolution and lack of AA will make it hard to spot enemies.

But it's your choice. I just wanted to give you some insight :thumb:

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Oh I know your points are valid, and I agree with you. There are pro's and con's for every platform. Yeah, my pc can handle it just fine, as it did with BC2.

My main point being that on PC version, you have a near infinite number of different hardware configurations being used worldwide. Each providing a different gaming experience to the player.

Consoles, not just Xbox I hasten to add, level that out a bit in that the only different experience you get from the next player is based on the screen you play on. The 'hardware' is the same. If one console pumps out 40fps, they all do, therefore no hardware advantage.

See my point? I know a lot of you wont and I'm dusting off my fireproof suit just in case :D but this isn't a troll. It's a genuine belief of mine. Feel free to put me in my place. I love a good debate.

17. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I get where you are coming from with this, but have to disagree!

[insert argument everyone else is thinking here :p]

I will probably get this on both, PC because I prefer it and XBOX as that's what my friends have, but that is the only reason.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

let's get back to BF3 rather than the age old PC vs console debate.

just been playing, awesome. although i found that with fullscreen on 2560x1440, the screen seems to have been cropped. radar and ammo counter been cut off, only shows half.

and i want to remap use to F and knife to E :(

also, wtf is up with hold R to swap weapon?? and crappy spawn menu?? consolfy much?

19. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I don't mind the key mapping but I agree on the spawn menu issues and not choosing squad... but again alpha?? May change :)

20. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I understand what you are getting at here, but its all a matter of relative value. I switched from BC2 on Xbox to PC recently, after sinking a solid 250 hours into the Xbox version. I've only got about 45 hours played on PC, but I tried playing it on 360 again last night and it's been absolutely ruined for me. 30 fps looks like a slideshow after the buttery smoothness of 60 fps, and the lower player limit, low res textures and inaccurate (relatively) controls make it damn near unplayable in comparison.

I guess what I'm getting at is that as far as I see it putting up with a few deaths due to hardware imbalance is worth putting up with for the ability to play with 63 other players at 60 fps, with higher detail, on larger maps. Your point is valid to an extent, but it also seems like a very small part of the overall picture that you decided to latch onto.