1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Water & Wood - 99% finished - photo shoot (8 Oct)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by miahallen, 17 May 2011.

1. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

Here is the time lapse video of the window etching process :dremel:....sorry my big fat head keeps getting in the way :hehe:

2. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

cool.

3. miahallen

Thanks Gary :)

TOC added to the OP :thumb:

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  4. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

nice job on the video. I've never done etching before. How deep did you do the etching?

5. miahallen

Thanks, first time for me too :dremel:

I'd guess 1-1.5mm deep...the plexi I'm using is 3mm thick.

6. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

looks very nice from what i saw, the last half of the pics were broken... for now...
    also, i dont think there should be a problem with the res being supported by the tubes, and, the parralel waterblocks, in my opinion, would be slightly less effective, but the difference should be negligible...
    </edit>
    i mean, the second half of pics on the first page... thought there was only one for some reason...

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

You have some skills there bro!!! Excellent job and really nice video!! :) Mod on!

8. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

9. miahallen

Is anyone else having issues with the pictures, I just checked and I'm not sure why you're having issues....everything seems OK on my end :confused:

Also, you "thought there was only one" what? :confused:

Thanks for the comments anyhow :thumb:

Thanks guys :dremel:

10. miahallen

Good news! My 30" monitor arrived, as well as my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultas :clap:

On a sadder note, one of the GTX 580s is dead, it went out for RMA yesterday. :duh:

11. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

I love the etching video! Thank you for that post!

12. miahallen

Yeah, I know....it's been a little while since my last update. I ordered some tools, including a Jigsaw and a finishing sander from Sears, and its taking a bit to get here.

So, I've had a little time to setup my new monitor and speakers, and also work on some of the details.

I've already bumped the rads on the inside a couple times and do not want to continue banging them up, so I had ordered a few fan grills from jab-tech. While they arrived over a week ago, I just finally got around to putting them on. The problem you see is these non-standard M3.5 holes on the Swiftech rads. Does anyone know where I can order some of these online....I've already spent several hours scouring 5 local HW stores to no avail :(

I've got a temp solution in place, but if someone can help me find a better solution online, I'd appreciate it. Black M3.5 screws are preferred :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday I remembered I had an extra pump sitting on my shelf that had never been used. It's an OEM 10W DDC from bmaverick that's never been used. I also have an old XSPC pump top that was not in use....I realized that an additional pump in this build would be nice for redundancy, so I hooked this one up at 7V for that purpose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also worked on rewireing and re-sleeving some of the accessory cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Including the SATA power connectors for the two drives. I also got my Vertex 3 drive cloned, and its running great!

[​IMG]

Like I said before, I've also spent some time getting my new monitor & speakers set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what the other side of the room looks like tonight.....that's my benching station, workbench & storage area.

[​IMG]

13. miahallen

Sheesh, over a month without an update....whats the deal?!?

Well, I ordered some tools from Sears.com and they ship to APO addresses via USPS "Parcel Post", but fail to mention that in the shipping info. Anyhow, I just finally got my package from them, which included a new jigsaw and some router bits. Which is whats been holding up progress on this build.

So I set to work on the front door again, cutting out the window opening to the desired shape & size. I used a ruler to guide me on the straight parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then threw it up on the desk to make sure I was happy with the result :D

[​IMG]

After taking it back down and removing the hinges so I could start routing it for the window and disaster struck! :duh:

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I'll have to start over with the door later :wallbash:

But, I also had a nice little package arrive from Portugal....

[​IMG]

Whats this :confused:

[​IMG]

:baby: Oh yeah! My new fan grills slash dust filters :clap:

Coldzero Team saw my mod earlier and offered to send me a few things. For now, I'll just show off the filters, I'll save the other goodies for later :D

Thanks Coldzero Team!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These things are amazingly nice quality. Its a two step process getting them fitted, step one you attach the bottom piece to the fans, step two is to sandwich the filter material with the top piece which screws into the bottom piece with countersunk hex head machine screws (yes, the bottom piece has been tapped for these screws to attach). Anyhow, really impressed with the quality and simplicity of the design. The shot below gives you a good idea of the process. I had to attach the lower piece with zip ties since the holes had already been drilled out as detailed earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm headed out for a vacation next week, so my next update won't be until mid August...until then, happy modding/overclocking :D

Last edited: 29 Jul 2011
  14. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Ouch! Sorry about the broken door! At least it broke now, instead of waiting til the final mount after the finishing is done and the plexi and lights are attached.
    I do really like the fan covers/filters. What company is that? I may consider buying/making something similar for an upcoming build.
    Have fun on vacation!

15. miahallen

Hey Karrek, its a Portuguese company called Coldzero - www.colzero.pt. They are working on an international website now, it should be online soon. Really nice stuff :thumb:

16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice mod ! and also very nice room, i love such architecture ! :clap:

17. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

Finally the stuff arrived :) and i'm really happy you liked them.
    Also, looking at the pictures, why don't you put the fans on the inside? and leave just the grills outside? i think it might look better, since the filters are a bit bigger than the fans :p

btw: don't forget to peel of the protective foils :p

18. miahallen

The fans are placed on the outside to allow the wall to be a "duct" of sorts to improve the efficiency of the fans. I'm working on a wood facade to boarder the fans which should improve the appearance a lot!

Oh, I won't forget to peel the film off...the mount pictured was just the 1st step to test fit the stuff :thumb:

19. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

yeah... that is a nice point of view. :p
    looking forward so seeing that wooden frame ;)

20. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Looking Good, thinking of incorporating my computer into my desk somehow to remove the tower from my floor some nice ideas.

Subbed