1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Anyone ever benched in the cold?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Xeb, 31 Jul 2011.

1. Lord Xeb

Lord Xeb Derka Derpa Derka Derp

Any of you got some stories to tell of your benching shenanigans in the cold?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Last winter when it was f**king cold in the UK, I opened up my patio doors in my room and got the load temps of my Q6600 was 14C :D

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I can do better, I left my laptop in the truck last winter. Fired it up and CPU temps on my i7 640m was -5.

4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

During a cold spell I got my i5-750 to 4.6Ghz, the cpu temp was about 2 or 3 degrees. put it outside and had the monitor cable go under the door. Good fun!

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I done the same thing with my i7940 @ 4.4Ghz and on load the temps were about 10 degrees cooler.

I can't remember if it was on here or else where, but I remember seeing a build where the guy mounted the entire cooling system in a box mounted outside. Similar to the desk mod on here with the cooling mounted in the basement.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This is the thread bulldogjeff is referring to, the dude had to turn his radiator fans off because the temperatures were getting too cold and he was risking condensation...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=194025

Journeyer is his name and he is from Norway.

7. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

in shanghai winter i put my corsair H50 out to the 1-2C i overclocked my phenom 2 955 to 4.2 :D

8. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I once benched 200 kilos in -40..

Sorry I had to

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I get mild winters here in the "Bowl" that Dav sits in the middle of, but I do tend to open my windows, whack all the fans in my case to max, and then go hammer and tongs at the settings during the winter.

4.3Ghz booting. :3 Took me 1.65 volts to get it to do so, though. I do suspect I could get it stable at that, but it'd take 1.7 volts, or more to do so. I'd have to be running Water cooling to be able to justify that much voltage.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I always do most of my benching when it's cold outside - last winter was bliss, with the temps dropping to -11C at one point, allowing me to do some benching at 4.74GHz with 1.6 vcore and 1.6v QPI on air. My CPU is a real dog but scales quite well with voltage...but I could never do it in warm weather; my rig would probably catch fire lol.

One cold night I set myself a silly challenge - Prime for ten mins @ 4GHz with HT on, and keep the CPU below 50C.

Here's the vid :D

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It was odds on some one would...lol the thought did enter my head.

12. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Did you enjoy your hurricane, Lenny? :p

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I have four of these fans; hurricane is an understatement :D :D :D

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Reading this thread I'm wondering why Bit-tech is horribly under-represented on HWbot. I'm still ranked #1 on our team out of 17. 17! Any ideas why?

15. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I've been meaning to for ages, as nighttime lows exceed (in the wrong direction :( ) -25C fairly regularly in jan/feb. I've never had a place to set up, but we moved the corvette to a friends storage hanger, so this year there should be some space in the garage.

16. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Whoa.. really? I've been told never to fire up a desktop if left in a freezing car because parts on the motherboard need to warm up first. Plus, I'd worry about condensation from the cold air inside rapidly heating from the components. Maybe laptops are better off in this scenario or maybe the person who told me this was misinformed.

17. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I was under the impression that the only problem is condensation, although if you have a mechanical hard drive you could destroy it fairly quickly, i read stories of people checking laptops on planes and them getting a bit cold. Having retrieved their baggage, firing up the lappy and the heads on the hdd sticking to the platter, ripping them off! Although it's been many a year since I read that.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well its still running today, as I'm using it right now typing this.:p