1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HTPC build help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kylevdm, 31 Jul 2011.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Hey all,

Well as many of you will know I have not been around for a good while! I have been working, studying, moving city, country... but cutting to the chase I have about £500 (can go higher if needs be) to spend next month on an HTPC for my new flat. Will need to be able to play 1080p video.

I am basically looking for suggestions for a motherboard, cpu, gpu and psu as I have no idea what I am looking for anymore... I have no need for hard drives or optical drives.

Thanks!

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I was thinking of building one of these myself. Small (16GB) SSD for my OS and a 2TB NAS for all my media.

I would definitely go for a Mini ITX board. The AMD E-350 is a good low power processor for it... you can get a lot of Mini ITX boards with an AMD E-350 and a Radeon 6130.. which apparently performs really well with HD video at low power. You shouldn't need more than 2GB of RAM either.

For Case and PSU the Antec ISK 310-150 is a really nice, discrete little case with a 150W PSU included which will power all that hardware and then some.

Basically.. I've just told you to get what I'll be getting... except I'll have a Blu Ray Drive... :p

Oh... and I did a preliminary "shop" at ebuyer.com and it all came to < £300.. including P&P

Kylevdm likes this.
  3. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Cheers dude, will definitely keep that in mind. I am currently living at my parents in Brussels for the summer so will only be ordering this when I return back to Glasgow. I was thinking about getting a blu ray drive but I own no Blu Rays in the uk...

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

You can always buy some. ;)

You would have to buy PowerDVD Ultra or Total Media Theatre, though.

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again