1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: '3D offers very poor returns'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Just bought 23 inch 3d monitor. Will be buying 3d glasses soon. Nothing new for me. Used Elsa Revelators with CRT monitor for gaming more than 5 years ago. The technology is finally reaching a point where 3d becomes a natural evolusion despite what all the negative grampys say because they hate change.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

3. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I don't think 3D will really take off in any form until we get 'HoloDecks'. :D

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I conclude that the average PC gamer is an unadventurous complainer who doesn't like change. I don't know why it is that the average pc gamer thinks a mouse, keyboard, speakers and a 2d monitor = perfect gaming setup.

The reason 3d didn't take hold before now is simply because we didn't have the technology to provide HD 3d imagery. Auto-stereoscopic 3d is progressing. 3d mobile screens are emerging. Gimmick? Not at all. A natural progression of technology. Although most bit-tech gamers have 1 eye and see mono imagery. I prefer to see depth. The technology isn't perfect but then it doesn't have to be. It will continue to improve. The same can't be said for some of you.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

No it's: Does the Pope **** in the wood

It's funnier :D

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Actually I wonder if it's more a british thing? I guess in Japan they tend to accept new technology more. In the UK it seems almost as if people are competing to be the most narrow-minded. It seems as if you're all competing to fit in with each other by rejecting something. I've seen it here on bit tech every time there's a 3d article written and I saw the same mentality when Crysis 2 DX11 was reviewed. I for one don't want technology held back by those who hate anything other than bog standard pc gaming hardware,

7. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

do anyone play games in 3D on their 3DTV?
    i dont think there are many atm, most will just use 2D due to the faster framerates, smoother gameplay and less eye strain

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The biggest issue is still the lack of full 3d compatibility of most 3d games (especially shooters with target sights). Lazy programming means the crosshairs are not rendered in 3d and thus aiming becomes impossible. Nvidia 3d certified games will have proper 3d functionality but the list of certified games is very small at the moment. I tried Bad Company 2 last night and it renders fine in 3d. No problem with the crosshairs. Serious Sam 2nd Encounter HD allows you to disable the crappy 2d crosshair and the Nvidia 3d crosshair can be displayed. The games looks great in 3d it must be said but then the original did back when I had Elsa Revelator or PC3d head mounted display.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

3D isnt even 3D in any sense of the word. Its improved clarity and depth to a movie or game. Unfortunately "3D" tech requires glasses that are fing expensive.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I hardly call £100 expensive for 3d glasses. If you think that's expensive then I guess you're still using a 15 inch CRT and a mouse with a ball.

If I see depth in games and movies and objects can extend in front or behind the monitor with a 3d setup - That is 3d regardless of what you say. I never heard so much bollocks talked in all my life.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Serious Sam 2nd Encounter HD in stereoscopic 3d = lot of fun. End of.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I have my 23.6 inch Acer 3D monitor, i love the 120mhz refresh... i cant afford another $300 for nvidia glasses.

And who knows, maybe pc gaming in 3D is real 3D. I know PS3 gaming in 3D isnt. And movies in 3D arent. All movies gain is extra depth between whats behind them and such.

13. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Sorry but you're not making any sense. If you have a stereoscopic camera (which can be a real camera or virtual depending on the content you're producing), it creates 3d by rendering a left/right image a certain distance apart. Each eye sees a slightly different view. That is no different to the way your eyes work. The 3d is the same 3d we see in real life. Negative Parallax projects the image in front of the display so it appears to be floating in space. I've played PC games where objects cross into the negative parallax and emerge from the screen. I've also done stereoscopic modelling with 3d max to create such images.

If the stereo separation is too small then the 3d tends to look a bit flat or compressed. Too great and it gives objects a stretched toy-like appearance. It comes down to common sense really.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was cautious about buying anything from LG since the KM900 phone they made was absolutely awful. I also had a DVD burner which failed after a year. Since this monitor got such a good review at a certain 3d monitor test website (and based on buyer feedback), I decided to purchase. It was delivered last week. It makes my old samsung pebble 20 inch look tiny and when the desktop is set to 120hz screen lag is non-existant. Colours are vibrant and the overall picture quality is impressive. Viewing angle is certainly acceptable.

Counterstrike source at 120hz looks incredible on this monitor. Crysis 2 however has a bug in DX11 and won't stay in 120 unless I guess you're running 3d glasses.

Bad company 2 allows 120 to be set in game and it looks stunning.

16. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

If you're inviting some friends over to watch a movie or play a game, it's not fair to expect them to shell out £100 for the privilege.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Ehhh? What friends? I don't have any friends... I'm a social outcast.

I will get a second pair of 3d glasses for the GF but that's it. I'm not buying for anyone else.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

feathers can't you NOT double post for like, 5minutes ?

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I'll get if a try and see what happens.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I managed 36 seconds.

Sorry.

Tags: Add Tags