1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Mionix Naos 3200

[​IMG]

I've fancied one for a while but decreasing availability in the UK lead me to buy one off Ebay quickly! I reckon they may have noticed Naos 5000 sales drop dramatically since introducing the 3200 (lets face it most people just want the body shape, not all the bells and whistles.)

Technically i could have just bought new feet for my Roccat Kone but tbh i still have a few niggles with it. After 3 years, i still find the scroll wheel pretty useless.

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

27" iMac, 3.1Ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 & AMD 6970M 1GB.

Pain in the ass to carry back from Covent Garden when temps are hitting the high twenties.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Out.

Get. Out.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Wah wah wah. Grow up.

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I think he is just jealous ;)

Funny story I went to look at a mid 2010 imac today, which in the advertisment was priced rather aggressively.

Turns out it was a 2008 20" imac.

I left.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I partook of HE discount for my purchase, getting the iMac + AppleCare + £65 iTunes voucher for under £1500. Bargain for the spec, it's a speed demon with a lovely screen.

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You were doing well up until the 'bargain' bit. It may be a bargain for an Apple computer of that specification, but (as the owner of more Apple products than some Apple stores) it's categorically not a bargain for that specification.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well obviously, seeing as well over half of the purchase price is the screen. However I'm not getting in to a pissing contest over Apple's pricing, I know what I'm buying and relative with home-build PC cost.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for all the reply's. I haven't driven her since Saturday morning now, and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms...Roll on Wednesday night!!
    LMAO!

Cheers,

Simon.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3

[​IMG]

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That is one nice, stealthy looking motherboard.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It really isn't a bad value IMO.

A 27" IPS LCD will eat up most of that budget, the U2711 is £839 from Dell.. It's CCFL backlit as opposed to LED, but we won't go into that issue here.

That leaves £661.. The specs aren't bad. The 6970M is equivalent to the desktop 6790. Good enough for casual gaming, or some older games at that monstrous resolution.

The CPU is a modern quad core 3.1GHz i5. The RAM is alright at 4GB, upgrading probably won't be easy if it's even possible.

I don't know what price you can tack on due to the all-in-one ness, the great aesthetics, and the fact that your SO will never complain about it being in the house, but it's probably significant.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Apple's screen is £899, or £750 on education, which is exactly the same as the iMac one. So LED and all that. Your maths is pretty reasonable though - you're getting a pretty decent computer for £700 (Z68 board, SB i5, etc). I'd also definitely put a price on the design, lack of space it takes up...and the fact that it gets the other half off my computer(s)!

RAM is currently a 2x2GB configuration, with two free slots for an incredibly easy and cheap upgrade to 8GB. Access is through a door at the base, so it's nice and easy to do.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Often overshadowed by the Ender series of books:

[​IMG]

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

With this one, I can access to my wildest dream....stealthily invade RUSSIA !

Edit: the oder has been shipped ! YESSSSS

Last edited: 2 Aug 2011
  16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Over the past few days I have purchased the following;

D3100 + 18-55 kit lens
    Lowepro Nova 140 AW bag (I wanted something small for the time being)
    SanDisk 4gb SDHC
    Accidental damage cover for 3 years
    A bunch of prints for my girlfriend

All of the above with staff discount from my brother's friend so turned out to be very reasonable.

My little bro gave me some lens cleaning stuff, a bunch of filters, another SanDisk 4gb SDHC, and use of a teleconverter and 70-300 sigma lens, but the auto focus motor is dead so manual focus only. He also bought me a UV filter today :)

Ooops almost forgot: I also bought my brother's U2311H :D

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

HAHAHAHA about the Seasonic I purchased, 1 week ago.... I did the right choice !! I plugged the old PSU in my brand new PSU Tester, no green light + I saw an electric Arc dancing inside the frame :s I could have killed all my rig if I had pushed this crap a little bit harder.

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

The thing about the screen, is that for paying £839 from Dell, you can use it on your next 10 computers (or however long it lasts).... not so for the iMac (or any other all-in-one for that matter, let's not single out apple :p) You can use the iMac as an external, but it can't just be a monitor, the whole unit has to be on....

All-in-one units might be "nice" depending on your views, but they are just more expensive without many gains.

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

A pair of Shure SE215s in clear.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Is this one of his preachy Mormon books? I've read all of the Ender series, including the most recent, and they're all pretty good. The Alvin Maker series starts good, then deteriorates into some really weird Mormon-based stuff..

How about resale value then? Have you seen the prices of used Apple equipment? Selling your custom built PC a couple years down the line is extremely difficult. Not so with Apple computers.