1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What’s your IPS story?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 3 Aug 2011.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Just a little input on my u2410. After about month or so using it I can’t stand TN monitors. Working became literally difficult now sitting behind 19’ TN monitor is a long day of torture. My eyes literally hurt now I lose focus after few hours and have to take break. I really have to try and concentrate on what I’m looking at using TN panel. I checked if I needed glasses, but no that wasn’t it. Putting glasses made it even worse. As soon I come home from long work day, sit behind my system everything is so much clearer and brighter. Also playing games, watching movies and everything in between is so super now. All I can say is WOW! So what’s your IPS story?

2. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Interesting to hear about your story. Can't you ask work to buy you an IPS screen? If it's affecting you that badly then surely your employer needs to do something about it under health and safety laws. 

Regarding my story, I was going to invest in a 3D monitor for gaming then soon found out the colour quality wasn't great. After much research I eventually came to the realisation that the 3D effect would wear off me pretty fast. I then came across IPS screens said to have better colours and the ability to view from different angles without losing much colour. Once I found out there were a couple affordable options I went for the Dell U2311h and have never looked back. 

I mainly use it to game but I do see the difference when comparing to my older 19" TN. 

aNuclearPidgeon likes this.
  3. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Are you using sRGB or Adobe RGB mode?

4. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Same here my old monitor was an old yusmart 19" screen 1280x1024 the colour was awful and response time was 16ms input lag wasnt too bad I guess,I now have the Dell Ultrasharp U2410 REV A05, and WOW what a difference colours are bright and accurate with no colour bleed and I get little-no eye strain even after long sessions of either gaming or video editing. I have the monitor on game mode RGB and it works just fine for everything

Last edited: 3 Aug 2011
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've had several TN monitors over the years but now I use two NEC LCD2490WUXi2 24" H-IPS displays for my photography business; TN simply wouldn't work for this. I had considered getting a 30" display but I much prefer the two 24" screens for workflow.

I'm definitely not in the "TN sucks" camp though; I would be quite happy with a large TN display as part of a gaming system. I used a HannsG 28" for nearly 2 years and I loved it.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my IPS story started out on my iPhone 4 on its launch day. love its colours, love its viewing angle and love every bit of it.

2 months later, got the U2711, and my god what brilliant colours. it puts iPhone to shame with its vivid and accurate colours. my work's PVA isn't down right bad, but now its colours feel dull.

fast forward to a few months ago, where i finally fed up with my netbook and bought an iPad 2. no where near as good as the monitor, but still comparable to iPhone 4's screen.

basically, i've rid of all TN panels from my possession over the last year. it really is a slippery slop.

7. camelCase

camelCase What's a Dremel?

Have you tried looking on an ergonomics website to see if everything is set up right for using the monitor? Check things like distance to the monitor, brightness of the monitor and the room and position of your eyeballs. I know it sounds dimb, but if you have to raise or lower your eyes to see the screen properly, certain parts of the eye that are normally kept covered and moist are exposed to the drying elements of the air and can cause problems.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Found a $15 IPS (original IPS from 2003) NEC monitor. Tried it out, still beat TN monitors of a newer caliber.

Afterwards, got a 19" S-IPS, then a 20" S-IPS and another 19" S-PVA.

I love cheap used NEC monitors. :D

9. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

I'm actually not sure. I didn't really change many settings out of the box. How do I find out?

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Press the menu "button" (touch sensitive) above the power button. When your finger comes close to the power button, or any of these touch sensitive buttons, the menu button will illuminate blue. Press on it, and the monitor menu will appear, and the other buttons will illuminate and instructions on what the buttons do on the screen, right next to each button.

From there select "Menu", and then go under "Color Settings". From there you can pick which color profile you prefer. Use Adobe RGB or sRGB at your liking. Adobe RGB = sRGB with a bit more saturation on the colors. Of course, I am talking here at a non-professional level. A pro have specific purposes for either (then again, pros don't use this monitor, and go for a several thousand dollar monitor of the same size, and of course better (well better be for several thousands of dollars).

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I got fed up with poor viewing angles and "glow" with the blacks, and got rid if it for a S-PVA panel instead. Much nicer :)

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

TN Panels don't suck, I use 2 at work and they are fine for day to day tasks but at home I have my U2711 and its awesome :D

13. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Pron looks great on an IPS panel...

14. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

What about gaming on ips? Anyone found downsides when playing games?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

downside for me with U2711 is that it's too big. i get motion sickness when i try to play console games with incorrectly set FoV.

Sent from a computer that no one else cares.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You find you actually have to look around the screen with your head?

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

:naughty:

Wouldn't know about 2560 x 1440 pron....

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

My aunt is a medical researcher, and she has an HP ZR24w in her office. That was a pleasure to view, even if only to check my email.

/gazes sadly at an all-TN household (though we have an S-PVA Samsung TV). The problem is that it's not a mainstream technology and the home budgets do not allow for extra expense on IPS monitors. Laptops too are an all-TN affair unless you spec it as an option on premium ThinkPads.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

19. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

For those with ips panels, would you say the upgraded colours are worth the price of admission alone? I've got a 2707wfp at the moment, which is by no means a bad monitor, but the feedback regarding the U2711 makes it sound seriously tempting.

20. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Yeah I checked that and got 2 options: RGB or YPbPr, RGB is currently selected. I've been pretty happy with the colours since I've got the monitor and haven't really needed to tweak anything.