1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA's Origin to delete inactive accounts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2011.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What?

Like i said when you posted this in my thread, that's just a random blog claiming that EA said something. It's not even an unofficial EA statement, let alone an official one.

"If they come back to BT with the same" assumes that the update on the blog post is in fact based on an actual response from an EA representative who has the authority to make such statements on the company's behalf, which is the part i'm having doubts about.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If someone takes my money, then takes away what I paid for, I'd call that theft. I would call "retiring a game" theft also. I've still paid for it, so it should be up to me and me alone to decide, if and when I no longer wish to play it.

3. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

But the T&Cs cover all this.

"license that can expire at any time" etc etc etc

It's not theft.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. And really, I should know better. When Big Business does something it is NEVER a crime.

Come to think of it. Shouldn't my payment be able to expire at any time as well?

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What about rental services? They take your money for a movie/house/car/prostitute and then take the product back as per the terms you agreed on. Is that theft too?

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Good thinking EA, screw over those who purchase products you publish :) Thank god for the pirate community who I can fall back on if you ever screw me over.
    Why do this at all EA? Aside from an evil attempt to get those you have screwed over with this to re-purchase the game? Why even delete an account, not like it takes up a huge amount of data on your servers.
    Think EA is just trying to take back the title of most evil publisher back from Activision.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Regardless of whever this is true or not, I wouldn't trust EA to handle even the expulsions that come out of my backside let alone my games collection.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I certainly know the distinction between renting and buying. And I consider buying a game on STEAM, Origin (very unlikely, but for argument's sake) etc. as being *bought*. Take away said game and a theft has been comitted in my eyes.

What amazes me is how nonchalant people seem to be around the concept of buying in regard to online services.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

But thats the point of software, you aren't buying the software, you're buying the right to use it. Just the way things are.

10. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Steam don't sell games, that's the whole point.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This clause was always in there, not really sure how it took this long to hit news websites. This to me was the biggest reason why I've been dead set against Origin.

@Blanx3_Bytex

You've replayed every game in your collection in the last 2 years? You really want to set a precedent of games requiring a repurchase if you didn't give them enough attention at some point?

12. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

And this whole fiasco has been public knowledge/arguement since EA started plastering Origin everywhere in E3.
    The arguement is the same everytime.
    'They shouldn't be allowed to delete my games'
    'Steam can delete your account for any reason and when they feel like it'
    'Yeah, that only really happens when you have actually DONE something against their ToS'
    '24 months? If you haven't played it in that long you probably won't play it anyway'
    etc. etc.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Because it's all optional. I certainly won't be taking adventage of the service in its current state, but i see no reason to get angry because of what they offer.

14. Zorndar

Zorndar What's a Dremel?

Still getting my games as hard copies on DVD, still my DLCs are from the inet. I´m never trusting EA or Steam enough to get everything online. On the other sides its much more fun for me to get my hands on a fresh arrived package including my newest bought game.

15. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

I download games through EADM and still have them in origin haven't played half of them.

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Steams ToS are much more vague, and imply you'd really have to be doing something wrong that they hadn't thought to protect themselves from. Origin puts a definitive timer on your "entitlements" which is much more foreboding. If at the end of the day they have the same outcome, that's EA's problem, because they need to look at least as good as Steam, not worse.

17. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

You can turn it round and say that EA guarantee you at least 2 years while Valve don't even guarantee you 10 mins.

Either way, I can't see EA going through with it just like they didn't go through with cutting access to your downloads on EADM 1 year after purchase.

Until it happens, it's a non story for me.

18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I presume that this is also compounded by the EA traditional "we can pull the online portion of a game at any time with 30 days notice posted on EA.com".

It's the pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you thing about online/DLC that makes me spend most of my time playing offline.

I think the outright loss of content you've registered/paid for is cheeky - perhaps they should reset the validity of it, so if you do decide to go back to play something that is magically "no longer yours (if it was in the first place, with the way most company's view selling products to customers)" you can simply re-register it to a recreated account.

...Or better yet, don't delete old accounts in the first place.

19. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Yup this isn't really news, we've bin talking about it in the forum for a couple of weeks

20. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Aye, but they should make it a little clearer that they can do this than to bury it in their terms and conditions. Also there should be a 'rent it now' sign instead of 'buy it now' or 'purchase', that way it'd serve to highlight that it's essentially a right to rent over to use indefinately.

I have games/software from a time before digital distribution and you know what? They can't stop me using it unless they come and break in to my house and take it from me.

...........pretty sure that's called stealing.

Tags: Add Tags