1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

It was medical super glue. I'm afraid modern super-glues use more potent chemicals. Bandage and tape should do it.

Edit: apparently if you use ethyl-cyanoacrylate or butyl-cyanoacrylate you will be okay.

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

*double post*

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I usually work better under pressure :D. Time for an early night and an early morning I think.

I have used super glue to seal a wound before when I was out hunting, worked fine until I could dress it properly.

4. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

Getting 70 posts for market place!!!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if thats all youve come here for then expect to be chased out of town

6. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

What's ruining your life right now? it was exactly that, now its warm weather wheres the thunderstorms! to clear the air

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Life has been great lately. I've worked on some aspects of my life and it worked :thumb:

The only thing that has been plaguing my life for over a decade now is that I'm faaaaaaat. I realize now how miserable it makes me feel inside but it seems like it's just impossible to overcome. Has anyone here ever lost a considerable amount of weight ?

8. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Back pain: I need another visit to the Chiropractor but can't afford it.

Lack of sleep: Back hurting made falling asleep last night(and most nights) feel near impossible. When I finally did fall asleep last night, I woke around an hour later screaming, not sure if it was the pain or if I was dreaming. Maybe both? Got back to sleep a while later, dog decides that's a good time to pounce on the cat. Dog goes in her crate for the rest of the night, I get back to sleep - thunderstorm...

Lack of money: There's lots of things that need to be done. Repairs and work on the house. Repairs on our cars. I'm needing a visit to a chiropractor as stated above, ideally a real doctor to fix my back would be better(old injury - fracture and 30% compression of L1) but there's no way I can afford surgery. And then there are the usual bills and mortgage to pay. Difficulty: wife quit her job so she can't hold up her portion currently. I don't blame her for quitting, I would have done the same in her position. The situation is just horrible right now.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

This is so stupid... People shouldn't have to pay for surgery. I know I could have had an aneurysm last year if I had to pay for mine

10. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Yep, it sucks. Even with insurance, I had about $3k worth of medical bills a couple years ago just for a damn kidney stone.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Due to me being of average muscle composition, I can't say that I've lost huge amounts of weight, but because I usually tend to work out here and there all I can say is this: Dedication.

It's fine to start small on workouts, but if you want to slim down, do cardio. Running, Swimming, hell jump rope is an excellent workout (though I don't do it, I've tried). But the key is to watch what you eat (just make sure it's not all sugars and sat fats and you should be fine for the most part) and progressively ramp up your workout.

I used to not be able to even do 25 laps in the pool. After a few weeks, I can pull off at least a 50 to 80 depending on the time I have availiable. Mind you I haven't lost weight (gained rather) but I do have more muscle and slightly better conditioned muscle so no loss. :) Cheers on your expedition to losing weight. :thumb:

As for what's ruining my life? I'm starting to lose sight of my actual future goals. That and I realize that it's been a ****ing lonely summer for me.. :hehe: Well at least I've gotten in a huge amount of excercise and made a small spot of cash. Still need to find me a decent girl though, it's been a while since I've been in a proper chase (the previous pursuits being rather me continually crashing through here and there for 2 years), how I miss it.

12. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

My anal german boss is making my life miserable :p

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

....Wut?

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

tbh I'm not really on an 'expedition' yet because it just seems so freaking impossible that I don't know where to start. The biggest issue I have is to eat properly. I was raised during the 80s and early 90s when it was the norm to eat processed, sh!t food. Since I was always kind of a ***** I never wanted to taste anything new, the fear of having something I don't like in my mouth just putting me off of ever trying anything. This resulted in a limited menu and terribly bad habits, which I still live with to this day, even though I don't enjoy any of it.

Up to 260pounds I didn't really feel fat. I knew I was fat but I was still very agile and I could still do anything. Now, though, I don't even want to go play badminton anymore because I know I'll be pathetically slow and bad

Anyway, back to studying math. Tomorrow is the final exam and I will pass the class this time :thumb:

15. Elton

Well knuck honestly it's a matter of putting yourself out there. I mean I was horribly embarrased at my physical capabilities when I started jogging (I had about 0 endurance and -100 speed). But after a while it becomes easier and easier. Hell I swim like a maniac now. (I'm not that fit).

Start small. Incorporate say, 30min of Jogging a day into your schdule. Then move up. Or do 30min worth of sprints. But know where your limit is. And work from there. Nothing like good old testing! :D

The food part, just start eating whole wheat. :p Seriously whole wheat pasta and perhaps a good sauce will fill you up and is tasty. Or just start making salads sans dressing (worst part). Or look online. XD

But on the excercise part, it's about progressively building up. No one can do 50 pushups from the get go. I'd alternate strength and cardio every other day. one day 30min-1.5hr of running/jump rope/swimming. The other 200 (sets of however many you can do) pushups or weightlifting.

I'd just start with the cardio for a while and thin down first. Cycling is a fun way too.

16. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Back problems suck big time. I've had an issue for 3.5 years that has seen me go from being the fittest I'd ever been to an ageing sloth. And it's not even that I have it bad like you do - I don't have pain so much as constant niggling and aching. But having to go to chiropractors/osteopaths sucks so much - you just can't trust so far as I can see, as there's little incentive to get you better any time soon. I got desperate last year and went to an osteo but after 5 x £38 with no improvement I gave up. I'm now back on a waiting list for NHS physio.

I wish you all the best, it does sound like you've got it rough right now.

17. Elton

My shoulders have been knotted since last year. They're flat out solid.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Thanks

I know I won't do it though :hehe:

And the worse part is I actually know how good I feel after exercising. I just hate the mundane task of lifting weights or running in a straight line. It's boring as hell. Swimming would also fall in this category but I haven't seriously tried it so I can't tell. I also won't try it because I'm way too self conscious to go swim in a public pool.

Yes. It's pathetic, I know.

Despite all this I feel good because the moral is good. The past 3 months have been excellent. Especially when I think that a year ago (in about 2 weeks), I was in the hospital

:thumb:

19. Elton

Music helps. And Running Uphill makes it somewhat less mundane. I just end up watching TV or Top Gear while lifting weights subconsciously, burn through at least 300reps an arm quite quickly.

Don't run on a treadmill. Just plot out your destination on google maps (somewhere scenic) bring a bottle of water, a MP3, your wallet (perhaps for an extra drink) and run there and back home. I don't run too often anymore due to having a pool (i'm a rich Californian kid :p ) but I used to do that. Very effective.

Do it man, you know you want to. Plus it's good with the ladies. ;)

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

First things first - if you haven't already, get and watch the Rocky films - great instant motivators to make me get down and some press-ups. Also, Rocky III as the most important motivational phrase I've ever come across:

"There is no tomorrow".

So many people, myself included, spend years of their life telling themselves they'll start the diet/exercise regime tomorrow, as they dig in to another tub of Ben & Jerry's in front of the TV. Before you know it you're where you are now, looking back on years of regret for not being as happy as you would be if you were physically fit.

Stop reading this now and get down and do as many press-ups you can in a single burst. Just do it.

If you've just done it, well done, you're on your way :clap:

It doesn't matter how many press-ups you can do. If you work to your max then rest then repeat when you've recovered then you'll achieve two important things: you'll break a lifelong habit of low activity; and you'll speed up your metabolism.

Before you know it you'll have doubled/trebled the amount of press-ups you can do and you'll realise that getting fitter doesn't have to involve gyms, weights, even going outside (although its much more satisfying when you do). It will also give you some upper-body strength & tone in your chest, which will make you stand taller and prouder. Which will help your body confidence and inspire you to do other exercise too.

I made deals with myself when I was younger. Every time there was an advert break in Ally Mcbeal (man I Loved that show) I would get down and do some press-ups (which would last less than the ad-break, so it's infinitely better than just sitting there watching the ads in a stupor). At the end of each episode I'd have done 200-300 press-ups.

Similarly, every time I lost a game in Football Manager I'd get down and do a set (press-ups or sit-ups).

So instead of my metabolism slowing to a crawl on the sofa, I'd still be doing all my lazy-boy activities, but I'd actually be raising my metabolism and getting fitter during it - win:win.

Just do it. When you do you'll be kicking yourself for not realising how easy it can be before now.

Oh, and when you realise it's better to be fat and running in spite of what onlookers might think, rather than fat and sitting at home worried what strangers might think of you, you'll realise most onlookers are actually thinking 'Good on you, I wish I had your guts/motivation etc.'

And when you do go running - please, please, please, start SLOWLY. You'll feel a pressure to run faster than you should so you don't look so unfit, but it won't do you any good. You'll fail quickly and lose motivation to try again, plus your ankles, feet, knees and muscles all need time to get used to the sudden change in your lifestyle. Be fair to your body and it will be fair to you (unless you get back problems inexplicably like I did, but that's another story).

/pent up fitness coaching rant