1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Are you waiting for LGA2011? Need your feedback on budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's more to do with a disclaimer that I'm not endorsing anything I said, merely discussing what you wrote ;)

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I dont know about 2011. If the prices are right (around the i5 2500k and 2600k). But that would be a stretch I think. Anyway, my current rig is kicking ass still and if anything an SSD is worth the speed increase. But if i5's drop down in price significantly I would probably try and build/upgrade.

3. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm interested in the return of old school clocking-I still hold records from back in those days and I think it would be a lot of fun to come back. This stuff is a different breed altogether. But 250 1:1 on a 35 dollar board back in the day took volt mods, liquid cooling and binned chips. I took that chip and did a 275FSB on a DFI later, but that 250 1:1 on a Shuttle AN35N ultra still stands, as do my S423 P4/5950 Ultra scores. Back when overclocking really was a dark art.

I'd like it even more if it goes that way with BD, but if 2011 is actually a good platform, we'll see. Let's see what scores I turn down with my 860 first.

If it turns out to clock like that, and I start feeling nostalgic, I'll come talk to you, Bindi.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We'll be making OC how-to's for everyone, as well as promoting OC records and noteworthy achievements on ASUS kit :) So just give me a buzz :D

I won't get to play though :/

6. KayinBlack

I owe you pics of what you sent me in action-fully watercooled mini-ITX, I need to pop a block on it but my EK VGA-Supreme had stripped threads on a screw, and I need to get to my bench vise to fix it. As is, the card looks good on air with the CPU, NB, and RAM liquid cooled-and all on a Lian-Li spider.

I'll be running the demo of my game this weekend, so I'll get some action shots for you. It's why I asked for an ROG mITX board-because my current build would be my last full ATX. It offers what I want with a much better footprint (except those bloody legs...)

I should go pick it up tomorrow if you want a few process pics of me wiring it for LEDs and making the custom pump connections...

7. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

this format is for the extreme people out there lga 1155 is the curent choice for sensible people.

8. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

tbh if LGA2011 lives up to the hype (im sure it will) ill just skip straight to it as the rig in my sig is defiantly starting to show its age, i have had it 3 years though i think?

and sorry for being a bit unaware but when is it expected to be releaesed?

9. the_kille4

generally it seems to be pointing at a 2011 release... so should be here by end of year.

10. the_kille4

I have a question regarding why the quad channel memory is placed that way on the motherboard...anybody know why?

11. KayinBlack

The memory channels are arranged thusly as I understand because trace routing is shorter and latency is lowered.

G34's quad channel is made with four channels all together because it's an MXM, and therefore two separate dual channel controllers. You're taking a hit anyway, but its quad channel setup (dual duals) is pretty blasted nice anyway.

Bindi, correct me if I'm wrong on 2011. I know the G34 info is correct. Dave Graham (I think that's the correct spelling) posted that when G34 was released.

12. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

If anything i'll be pumping more money into X58, like a m-atx board so i can actually move the damn thing to LANs without getting a hernia :p

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

With all the unclear notions of when soc 2011 will be released and the fact that I would have been interested only in the performance version that comes out much later. I just bough my upgrade.

I got a ROG Z68 motherboard. i5k and H70, so how bout that OC guide :D

Edit: Z68 Maximus IV Gene-Z

Last edited: 4 Aug 2011
  14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You will want to buy an R3G very soon then!

15. the_kille4

Have you forgotten? R3G still uses the X58 chipset. So wouldn't the X79 version be the Rampage IV Gene or is it V?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

He said he wanted an X58 mATX board, not X79. I doubt R3Gs will be on sale much longer since they are a year old.

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Bindi... I know you can't reveal anything, but how certain is it that LGA2011 will use DDR3? From what I can gather, it's pretty certain, but I wondered if you had any insider info.

I need more RAM and I was gonna buy a 16GB set of 4 with 2011 in mind... and just use 12GB in my X58 for now.

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

ddr4 is rumoured to be another 3 years away so id say its 100% certain to use ddr3

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Cool. I'll pick up a 4x4GB kit and stick 3 of them in this for the meantime.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

still running a Q6600 here, but its ma birthday end O august so was thinking of a CPU+mobo+mem upgrade.

Honestly i had been thinking of a AMD BE Hex due to cost, but also to test it as a platform as i want to build a new render farm, small 6 node build now that i have decent funds rolling in.