1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit-Tech Digital 3D Render Gallery

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scooby, 6 May 2009.

1. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

Cheers.

Playn around here, bit lazy...

[​IMG]

LooseNeutral likes this.
  2. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

[​IMG]
    some quick little i think i did yesterday :)

Last edited: 2 Aug 2011
  3. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

WOW Dark~ What a bizarre and wonderful render. Out done yourself with this imo. might have a go at scanning that bar code on the book :p :D damn... the little rep guy won't let give you any more yet! it's deserving +++ :hip:

4. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Sorry for the late reply, been in Paris all week! Thanks LooseNeutral! You can get around the time thing in 2 very simple steps :naughty:
    1. Use a material override, so everything in the scene (except windows etc) are a grey/clay material which cuts down your render time allowing you to fiddle with the DOF more, also really cut down onthe render settings, jagged lines dont matter when you're adjusting your DOF!
    2. Use a zdepth pass, if you don't know what that is look here, this allows you to have more control over the blurriness etc!

HERE are the shader settings I used for my scene, however I've found you need to fine tune the material for each different scene - adjust the shader according to the scene setup :lol: Yeah 1 to 1.5 hours to render, mainly because I ramped up the AA and SSS is a real PITA when it comes to render times :( I use THIS guide when creating shaders, in order to understand what effect each parameter has and how I can use this to my advantage!

I use standard VrayLights and shoot them onto reflectors/planes, giving the reflection a soft "falloff" rather than a harsh rectangular VrayLight in the chrome :clap:

I must admit I don't really know the difference with the different formats! :hehe: I save the raw render in .PNG then just fiddle with it in photoshop and then create a post processed .PSD file and then a matching .PNG file - I will have a read into other formats though, thankyou!

My latest creation! A slight rework of the Zebrano Rock I made a few weeks ago, much happier with the outcome of this! Don't you just love 2k x 3k textures! :p

[​IMG]

5. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

There are some really great artists in here, awesome.

I've just begun to work in 3D and am about to complete a 8 week Cinema 4D course. I would greatly appreciate thoughtful critique and suggestions on my project for this class:

[​IMG]

I am also working on a recreation of the 20th Century Fox logo for the same class. I will post it in a few days. Thanks everyone.

6. LooseNeutral

@Mystiik , haven't tried textures that large in C4D yet... have some big'ns for Thea Studio I've tested though ... wow long render times... btw have u heard the news C4D R13 WOW! search youtube or cineversity http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/index.asp?cid=45&ssp=CINEMA+4D+13 for sneak peeks
    @microsoftPerson Really nice work there too... what class you taking? online Fxphp type or? Need detail at base of bottles to floor though. Also what did u use for reflections in bottles. HDRI or some light boxes. They look really good. :thumb:

7. microsoftPerson

Thanks LN, I appreciate it. The class is an intro to 3D animation and we use Cinema 4D. It's not online. I lucked out getting a teacher who's spent time working for Disney, production companies, and I guess spending time consulting with and selling for companies like 3D Max and Maya. He's about 80.

I used an HDRI for the sky to get that detailed reflections on the bottle, but then I used some white cubes with luminance to get that light-box like effect. I also put a dark blue light way off to the left of the scene which helps add some depth, you can see it if you look.

*Edit* and you're right about the bottom of the bottles. I'm on it.

Here's these as well, just trying different placements/cropping:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Aug 2011
  8. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

I would an a little bevel where the dull plastic parts meets the glossy upper ring and maybe change the floor material to something less shiny aswell.
    The glossy top ring has some sharp edges which need to be broken.

9. microsoftPerson

That's not a bad idea about adding a tiny bevel to that area. Looking at the bottle itself I can see it also has a small divot here. I'm not sure what you mean by the sharp edges on the top though. Thanks for looking, I appreciate the critique.

This is my first time dabbling with DOF controls, do you guys think that aspect of the render looks okay or is it too blurry in some of the renders?

10. microsoftPerson

There are plenty of improvements I would like to make to this video but I am out of time as it is due in the morning. I'd be happy to get your guys opinions/thoughts on this one.

The project for this class was to recreate a well known logo animation.

Oh, and if you are comparing to the original I used the 1994 version as a reference for the model but grabbed the sky concept from the newer, 2011, edition of their logo (the anniversary edition).

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  11. LooseNeutral

Now you pissed me off.... GREAT VID DUDE! Again what classes on line are you taking cause I haven't seen these tuts!? And btw are you really modeling in C4D? The bottles show a lot of stepping at the base like SKU would do. :D

12. microsoftPerson

THANKS! I wish more people came to this thread so I could get more feedback. Yeah, I'm really modeling in C4D.. I made the bottle with a lathe nurb and created the spline in Illustrator. I guess I'm not seeing the stepping you mention, and shouldn't really since I created the curviture with Bezier Curves... though I'd be the first to admit the bottle could use some improvements on the bottom in terms of detail. When I started the model the teacher told me not to model the bottom because it could not be seen. But with proper lighting, it seems it is more of an issue than we had thought.

Sorry, but it's not an online class and I did not use any tutorials otherwise I would point you towards them. I do like grayscalegorilla.com, he has great C4D tuts. The class is at a local community college in Colorado. The guy teaches at all the community colleges in the state and he is really good. I think I mentioned this earlier but he used to work for Disney, 3DMax, Maya and he is almost 80 years old. I can officially say that I have never learned a single thing from someone that old about computers before taking this class.

If you have any questions about the modeling I did I'd be happy to answer, though I imagine there are plenty of people with more experience than me on this thread. I've only started with C4D about 8 weeks ago and it is my first experience in 3D. Oh, and the teacher also provided us with a great book (only like ~$60) that covers about everything we've learned. I can give you the title/author if you want.

BTW, what's SKU? Sketchup? I haven't used sketchup since I was in high school but from the looks of these boards they have seriously improved its capabilities.

13. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

SKU has a lot of capability, just have to find the right tricks. Have to use a standalone render program though (kerkythea is free and awesome)

14. microsoftPerson

Nice, I was very impressed with SKU in the past it but I probably won't go back from C4D now that I have been working with it over the past couple of months. Of course the 'free' thing is a huge advantage nonetheless, so I might re-evaluate when my student copy runs out.

15. LithiumDesign

@microsoftPerson - Fantastic work, for 8 weeks work you've really done well! I know very little about C4D, does it have it's own renderer? Have you tried other renderers if it does? I recommened VrayforC4D, produces really nice results! Some 'critiques' would be, as previously stated add some stepping ot the bottom of the bottles, also try and work on smoothing your models (maybe this wasn't part of the class), but it really adds to the realism having a smooth model! Finally I'd recommened you start to look at creating studio scenes to produce realistic renders of your models! :D As the guys have suggested, SKU and kerkythea is a great combo and can produce some really nice stuff! Keep it up :rock:

A friend of mine made some lego models, so I've had a little play with them! :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can find my gallery here - I update it more frequently than here and it's got some stuff I havent posted up here bedore :thumb: :D

Mystiik/LithiumDesign

16. LithiumDesign

everyone dead?

17. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Been busy w/ life lol. will have a stack of renders after the weekend. need some products design for my website launch soon so need to get some concepts on a roll.. also considering a 6 core cpu to make rendering a lot faster

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

haven't been here for a while, but here's my latest render. As ever I'm using Cinema 4D to model and render.
    [​IMG]

Some seriously impressive stuff from all of you, Dark's house was amazing, mystic is putting out some kickass renders now, and conic and confusis are doing awesome stuff as per usual. :)

stonedsurd likes this.
  19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Hello Kitty Viper? I APPROVE! :clap:

EDIT: But the weaponry is a bit weird. AIM-9s should be on the wingtip rails, AIM-120s on the inside rails, GBU-12s have no propulsion and at that attitude, the fuel port would be closed.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  20. LooseNeutral

TANGSTER... a F'N PINK'N FIGHTER LOL....... man diaper time! Mystiik.... Pinks Fighter Jet almost killed me ..... oh hell it's got kittens on the wings.... why not pink missiles?