1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Diablo 3 has real money auction houses

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by yakyb, 1 Aug 2011.

1. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I have no issue with it, it's optional and not a required component of gameplay. As long as there's no subscription fees I'm happy. People already sell D2 and WoW items on eBay anyway.

On a related topic, I think all those negative comments about the online-only features are way overboard, people just love having stuff to whine about. I don't care if they refuse to play the game just because of that, I see it as less ******s on my server :p

Haters gonna hate, watcha gonna do?

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't common sense or indeed the correct thing to do. However if someone just paid real money for an object which the next day isn't as good as when it was bought, are you telling me that there would not even be a mere ripple of indignation on the forums? I mean MMORPG forums explode when the servers go down for 30 seconds!

It does however reflect the real nature of depreciation in the real world - but at least what I bought six months ago still does what it did six months ago even if something now does it better.

It doesn't matter anyway. What they are doing is genius. You pay to add something to the auction house, you pay a percentage when you sell it. Then when you come to cash in your chips for real money, Blizzard takes another cut as do their payment partners. I am sure all other publishers will be watching what happens very carefully...

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

An important note: Blizzard ARE NOT taking a percentage. It is a flat fee for all items regardless. They specifically wanted to remove an incentive for themselves to inflate the sale prices. Not only that, everyone gets a portion of free listings on the Real Money AH.

4. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

My problem isn't so much with the AH tbh. I had a chat with a few mates about this and it makes sense if it doesn't unbalance stuff and curbs the gold farming and item eBaying.

I was very irritated by the always online DRM thing when I saw it and I don't agree that is a non-issue neither do I agree that the lack of modding is a non-issue. That wasn’t initially what convinced me not to bother with this game though.

What swayed me to not purchase this was the attitude of the developers regarding the, I’m going to say 'worries', of their fan/customer base. They were very dismissive and especially arrogant about the DRM and lack of modding.

Rob Pardo: "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that,"

That’s the sort of arrogance I'd expect to hear from the likes of EA.

Being so dismissive of people who don’t enjoy multiplayer because of cheaters, whining kids and wooting dick-holes is just as arrogant.

But, hey, if you like being told what you want and what you enjoy by the very people who rely on your custom and support to survive, carry on as you are, that’s your choice and I respect that. I personally don’t enjoy being told how I have to play a game after years of being led to believe it’s about “the player’s personal experience of the game world and their interactions with it” (Paraphrasing various developers from at least the past decade of gaming).

Disclaimer: I’m fully aware that my opinion counts for little, if at all, when everything Blizzard touches turns to gold. I’m not crusading, just discussing the issue and conveying my opinion. If you feel like I’m slating you or your views that’s not my intention.

5. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

With some of the items possible being worth allot of real world money and the fact people will be playing this game for years to come, wont allot of the items need to be BOE otherwise the trade post will be filled with peoples second bests

I had a paladin smiter build and had some really good gear i let him rot with his loot when i was bored of the game but if i could have easily sold it for real money i would have, meaning my gear would still be clotting up the game for time to come.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

According to a Blizzard interview, 99% of the items in D3 will not be soul bound.

7. Gurgulio

Gurgulio What's a Dremel?

Diablo has always seemed to embrace stuff like this, Diablo 2 had bots in every chat spamming links to real world trade sites for in-game gear.

Perhaps this may get rid of people requiring to do? Or vice versa, it may amplify it...

I just want this game to be out already. :'(

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

So the market will become entirely flooded? making having the best items worthless.

EDIT: Sorry, that came off as a bit of a personal attack, not intended.
    It just seems to me like opening up a RL auction house causes way more problems that it creates bonuses. Also, I doubt it will stop gold sellers, EvE still has them after all.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I don't know what you mean by "market will become entirely flooded"? Obviously, there will be lots of items on sale, isn't that the point? And what problems do you think it causes? Aside from taking all the eBay/item/gold websites which existed in their thousands for D2 players under a Blizzard system which will be safe, secure and regulated?

10. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Presuming that RL money is not a concern (as you see a lot with spoilt kids with daddies credit card) Then right from level 1 any item in the entire game is available to you right now.

(You won't be able to equip it right away, but you'll still have it).

You could argue that certain items will be rare, so not many would appear on the AH, but think of all the people farming Gold now on WoW....now think that they are able to do it legitimately, so less accounts being banned e.t.c I cannot see how any item in the game could be considered rare.

Added to this is the fact that there is basically no item sink: because virtually no items are bound to a character (if that interview is correct), the only time items will be taken out of circulation is when someones character gets deleted, or they delete the item and I highly doubt that will balance out with the number of people adding the item to the AH.

EDIT: the only way I can think to help balance this is put bosses on a real time reset timer, but this can still be overcome by sheer number of accounts, which is something to the gold farmers/sellers favour.

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

No one forces you to use the real money AH?

12. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

no, but if it's an option people will. I mean look at all the people who paid £25 for the different looking mount in WoW.

Or all the people that pay for items in micro-transaction games (not that there's anything wrong with doing that, but it's more or less the same thing)

13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I know, but I'm asking why you care if other people chose to buy some items when you aren't forced to? Its not a competitive game so you won't be competing against people who have bought items.

14. J!n

J!n That's aperture science

Thats another thought i hope they dont have boss encounters on timer. They had that in age of conan had to wait a week for a reset and went to about 20 raids in a row and got F all, then all the guys with fully suited raid gear would say "its not all about the loot dont complain" lol :clap:

Its exciting seeing all the loot drop in D2 with all the diffrant types of colours. A sense of progression and fun is why we play. But i doubt they will have a timer :brrr: TF

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

well if it's anything like Diablo II then I would imagine it will have a fairly big PvP base.

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Blizzard said in a D3 interview that they will not be balancing the game for PvP at all.