1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Massive jump in GPU temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Canon, 7 Aug 2011.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Ok, I recently moved some hardware over to a Cosmos S, in the Cosmos I installed 5 new Enermax Magmas before installing any of the hardware, also a 200mm monster fan blowing cold air into the case, onto the GPU. The top 3 fans are also blowing air down, mostly towards the GPU as I have a sealed watercooling kit setup for the CPU.

However, since the move of hardware my GPU (XFX GTX275 XXX Core edition) has been getting REALLY toasty. Even as I am typing this, with no other programs running but 1 window in google chrome, I can smell it. It has melted (blackened) the sticker on the fan and is heating up everything in the case, including my water loop. I've installed push/pull fans on the rad, I've even mounted a 120mm fan on top of my HDD cage to try and push some more air onto the card.

This repeatedly results in games crashing, even things like shockwave in a browser will crash. Any idea what on earth has caused this?

The GPU is @ the standard factory overclocked settings. I've also got a couple of bluescreens due to my overclock, which I have levelled out now and no longer appears to be an issue, however some heatspreaders are nastily warm.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2011
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What do you have as an exhaust? As there's no point pumping cool air in if the hot air has nowhere to go. I'd change the top fans around to an exhaust and see if that helps...

thehippoz likes this.
  3. Canon

Canon Reformed

I was exhausting out the bottom as I don't really mind my desk getting warm, but I will give this a try. Can't see much coming of it though as the heat this thing is kicking out is beyond belief, i'm sure it will be dead soon :hehe:

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

heat rises, so exhausting from the bottom wont help

Canon likes this.
  5. Canon

Canon Reformed

Yeah but it doesn't tend to be the cause of burning, the card is hot even compared to when there is NO fans near it and in a hot room.

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

The Cosmos S is a very good case for cooling. You shouldn't be getting temp increases, even if you have the fans installed in an unconventional airflow setup. Sounds like there's something wrong with the card if you ask me. I'd take the stock cooler off and clean it all up before applying fresh TIM and give that a go.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

maybe the thermal paste has cracked from being moved

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why not just WC it...

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Canon - have you screwed the 200mm fan back onto the side panel?

10. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

if its that hot to melt the sticker it sounds like a card problem, not the case! Also have you considered the weather? it has been allot hotter ;) Imo, take the card apart & clean it re-apply tim etc and boot up MSI Afterburner and set some custom fan options to keep it cool!

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sounds like a stupid question, but are the fans on the card spinning? If not, I'd suggest the cards faulty, and yes, it will soon be dead

12. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I'm thinking the same as parge check the gpu fan is working

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

If it is running as hot as you say the fan should be running full whack and making a right noise, you dont mention this so I am guessing the fan is on its way out or something is a miss with the drivers.

Afterburner and manual control fan see if that helps.

14. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

What temp is the card running at ?

It cant be the case sounds like the gpu fan is at fault, if its totally dead you could try to get an old 200 series custom cooler but there's not much point you may as well get a new card

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I was about to say, why has no one asked, what are the actual temps?

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well if its melting the labels and causing a burning smell its going to be circa 100C

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

Yep, it's back on.

Weather hasn't been that good over here :)

The fan is running at 40%

Higher, or lower? :p Sensors are knackered

[​IMG]

I know it isn't the case, it's an issue with the card itself, I just can't imagine why the card has decided to give up the ghost after only a couple of months LIGHT use.

I'll be taking the cooler off at some point this week to do a couple of things and will re-apply everything then.

18. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

If you have only had it a few month why not get a refund/replacement rather than risk trying to fix it yourself?

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

It was purchased from another bit-tech member..

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Well if the card is as hot as you say it is, then the fan should be running at way over the 40% you say it is - which says that there's a problem with the card...