1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Are you waiting for LGA2011? Need your feedback on budget.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 25 Jul 2011.

1. KASxxWill

KASxxWill What's a Dremel?

I'm not looking to forward to it, gonna wait a while before considering getting one, if I every feel like getting one...

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

100%.

It'll be the same stuff SB uses: 1.35-1.5V.

DDR4 is slated for 2013 at the earliest.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

So long as it's not 1.65V stuff then, it will be fine. Cool.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So do we have a release month for this yet? If Bulldozer arrives in September I'd guess Intel will drop this shortly afterwards to blow them out of the water in the high end.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I honestly don't think AMD will be blown out of the water.

In fact, BD on G34 ought to perform quite admirably. Possibly to the point of taking SB-E to task on most things.

They're both quad-channel memory, both revised architectures, but BD has a much higher core count-16 in a socket, and quad socket capable. HT=/=cores in many applications. BD vs 2011 for the regular consumer (which is a ridiculous statement, BTW) may look a little different, but I know if I were specing a new business machine, I wouldn't even give 2011 a look. Too high startup cost for not enough returns.

6. wh1pl4sh88

wh1pl4sh88 What's a Dremel?

Ah, i thinks im gonna give my 1155 a chance until xmas and then depending on the budget i will either get more ram, a 2600k possible even move from 1155 to 2011 depending on performance for price and general compatibility. That's if intel dont delay the release of the 2011 chip cpu's or motherboards in the uk.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tbh, I'm surprised AMD hasn't put more into a ultra-high end pro-sumer/enthusiast G34 platform to compete with Intel in the multi-multi-core arena. Sell unlocked but non-ECC single and dual-socket capable parts, then let enthusiasts crank up the MHz while dealing with the TDP in their own unique way.

Also I just learnt AMD's roadmap for 2012, and let's just say I'm considering buying stock if things stay on schedule ;)

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Really? :O it looks good then?

9. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I should restate now - No, I am not going to go 2011 cause I am building a 1155 rig. Bring on the i5 OC!! :D

10. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Is there any pricing for these chips yet?

I am more than happy with my i7 930 currently. I have not even bothered to overclock it. In term of every day use it is extremely snappy (paired with an ssd). I am going to overclock it soon but I am not sure I will notice the difference.

The next logical upgrade for me would be a new graphics card, or a second 5850, but again I rarely notice it holding me back, there arent that many programs/ games that will really stretch my set up as it is.

To conclude - there is nothing pressing me to upgrade. I may be able to pass my computer on to my dad for a decent price, if I did I would look at an i7 2600k at the moment, and would obviously consider a 2011 if the price is right next year. But 2011 systems (including the price of quad channel ram etc) would need to be priced competitively and show strong performance gains in comparison with sandybridge to attract my interest.

11. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

No there isn't, but expect it to be expensive, I reckon the chips will start above the price of the 2600k, but that is just a guess, who knows intel might be nice to us enthusiasts :D :|

12. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

Agreed where are the days of Intel's 775 socket life span :eyebrow:

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I heard on the This Week in Computer Hardware podcast that the BCLK of the LGA2011 might be locked at 100mhz - is this really true?

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

As they said in one of the podcasts, the socket alone costs £20ish, so this is 3-4 times as much as the others, so that alone is adding to the cost... Then if you notice how many SATA ports it has, and the design requirements this will bring, it's added a massive amount to the complexity of the board, so nit cheap is the answer. I'm budgeting £350 for M/B alone...

Atleast we know the RAM will be cheap though :D

15. KayinBlack

G34 Optys support non-ECC RAM. And have no real clocking limits. SR5690 is 790/890FX.

Those of us who know what is to come aren't worried for AMD.

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Not to derail this thread, but is it known if consumer-grade Bulldozer chips will still support ECC memory like their A64 ancestors?

17. KayinBlack

Yes.

azrael- likes this.
  18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Whoops! Just noticed you replied. :)

In any case, good to know, because that was something that really appealed to me back in the day.

19. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Beware the new chips will be HOT!

So... Intel won't be shipping the LGA 2011 with any coolers, even the quad core. Although Intel would make its own coolers but it won't be as great as third-party ones.

Another thing which is important is although the chips are rated at 130W TDP, it might as well be 180W. What that means is the current line up might not be able to handle the processors. So a water cooling setup might be nice if you are going stock and essential if you are overclocking it.

One more thing before I state the source is that the quad core 3820 would arrive later than the hexcore 3930K and 3960X.

Now the vr-zone source...
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusive-sandy-bridge-e-to-ship-without-cooler/13296.html

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That's actually a smart move, save some money (enough anyways, coolers and shipping ain't cheap), some resources and of all waste.

So nothing lost here.