1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No new Nvidia GPU this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 8 Aug 2011.

1. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

I love how everyone acts like 1080p is "full HD" when talking about gaming, I've been playing at 1200p for over 4 years now. Also there is nothing wrong with the GTX 480 as long as you aren't worried about power consumption and you are using after market cooling. The card was not a "mistake," they just couldn't use a single SM unit to increase yield, big deal. A heavily OC'd 480 can break 6000P in 3DMark11, something a stock 580 can not on the same CPU (this should show the little difference between the two.) Of course the 580 is the better card with a vapor chamber and better power consumption plus the single missing SM unit. However I'm playing with a Q9550@4ghz + 8Gb DDR2 1066 + GTX 480 850/4000 on a 24" BenQ FP241W (1920x1200p) and I have yet to find a game that would even make me think about new hardware. If a game does run poorly and you check the forums, guys with 580s and i5/i7 are having the exact same problems.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm running a HD6850. Once the new generation is out, I think I'll actually go crossfire for once. It's about time, and plus it looks facking sexy.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Running on a 5870, probably going to buy at the same price point with the next gen. Crossfire may look sexy, but the 7970 has an awesome looking and sounding name.

Because as any true PC enthusiast knows, performance is one thing, appeal is another. :D

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you could have sold the 480 awhile back.. the cards are way too power hungry for what they do

5. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

whats the point of rushing? theres nothing that can challenge THIS gen graphics cards and SB chipsets!

Its like saying i want a twin turbo v12 in my car to go down to the shops to get some milk. WHY?

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

BF3 may change things :p

7. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

I actually got the GTX 480 from a GTX 295 RMA, so once I bought a Zalman VF3000F, I decided to stick with the card for a while. The GTX 295 was very power hungry for what it did and only in certain games with profiles made. Now I have one of the top 5 single GPU cards available and I have pushed the card over 950mhz on core; the card is a cherry and I have no need to sell it just to save a little power. If I wanted to save power I would upgrade my Mobo/CPU/RAM.

8. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

oh and at least the 480s are solid, unlike the GTX 570 which have a high failure rate.

9. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

Dam it GTX260 is beginning to really showing its age and was hoping for an upgrade. Guess I’ll have to do with GTX580 but I’ll wait for price drop ^__^'

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Already know about those thing's but that still leaves me unable to use my DVD Recorder and Laptop on it, without buying TV card's etc to do it all.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

3D is a fad and guess what 4D is coming out now as well.

3D was brought out simply because the tv manufacturers were not making enough money so they brought it in to your home to make, everyone suddenly think "oh my shiny new HD tv is old and useless must buy 3D"

I have tried 3D and didn't like it, simply because I ended up with a headache after using the Nvidia 3D glasses etc, and to be honest it's fine at the cinemas watching film's as I don't get a headache but it's add's nothing to the film and I actually think it's makes films and games worse using than not, because you see the 2 images overlapping each other constantly as in tearing around people and object's.

3D is no where near ready yet for home use or at the cinemas in my oppinion and until it is I will not spend the money on it, as I might as well just set it alight and watch it burn.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Dell U2711:
    1 HDMI + 2 DVI for PC and laptop (or HDMI to DVI cable) + VGA connection + Scart (well, the video yellow port is there) + Displayport for future proof + component

you are just not looking hard enough.

get 3 U2711's for nvidia surround. and i'd like to see how your system do, at 3x2560x1440.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not gonna spend £1800 on 3 monitors when I only have room for anything from a single 32" to a single 42", I will wait for 4K Monitors

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

This. 3D is a horrid fad-tastic tech. 4K will be the next big step; shame it'll take 10 years to see free to air in 4k broadcasts!

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

'Hmm, well if I can get rid of the HD6850, then I'll get another card. I'm still wary of driver support however good it may be.

16. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Doesn't give me a headache, maybe you need glasses.:thumb:

The fact you actually mentioned 4D in relation to Nvidia 3D Vision automatically made me stop reading what you were saying.

17. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Would you like me to tuck you in under that blanket statement?

Tags: Add Tags