1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dremel 300-30 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Xir

Xir Modder

the flexible shaft costs as much as the dremel itself...which is quite steep.
    For prolonged use (and for cutting right angles) you need the shaft though.

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Makes buying the next dremel up all the more worth while! Custompc mag.. but 4 weeks ago! Come on bit-tech :(

4. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Somethings wrong with me, I kept seeing 'Flexible Shaft' and giggling to myself... :s

Well, got the score I'd expected give or take so no complaints here.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Really? The shaft is around £17 here in the UK, but the Dremel 300 is usually around £35.

6. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Need more reviews of modding stuff, in my humble opinion.
    It was good to see this.

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Water cooling stuff please! (And not though pseudo-water cooling Corsair things)

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I managed to get this one or the 400? Forgot all the model names now.
    Along with the shaft, massive box of accessories and a carry box thing for £40 & free p&p from Amazon a while back. Never looked back!

9. Xir

Xir Modder

The shaft is 30€ here :grr:
    a no-name is 10€ (I have one and it fell apart quite quickly)
    the Proxxon (not bad) is 25€

The dremel 300 as tested here is 50€

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The dremel tested here is will cost about 64euros here in Norway... :sigh:

I have one of the earlier generation Dremels. The machine itself is nice enough. A bit underpowered, though. I really want one of the 400 series. Those looks nice. My next dremel will be a version with a proper case. Now I keep the attachments in a plastic bag that always tear open and spill out over the floor, and the cable on the dremel itself always tangle into every single tool in my tool shelf... :duh:

I must say, though that the attachments from dremel really suck. Thinking especially of the drill press and router attachment. There is way to much slop in the mechanisms on both of them. Especially for something advertised as "presicion" tools. For the same price as the router attachment i could buy a small router that is more powerful and precise than the dremel version.

11. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

How close are we to having rotary tools with brushless motors? Does such a thing exist, or is it a case of it just doesn't give as much torque?

12. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

Was wondering if the welding (Versatip) tool is any good/worth buying?

13. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I must comment on the safety on these tools. Even though I haven't hurt myself yet, I think it's strange they havent included a "deadmans switch" or something. Diamond cutting-disks rotating at 15000 rpm migth do some damage if you skimp and you loose it on your face for instance, like when working under the car etc. Safetygoggles are a must!

comment #2: Never buy battery operated stuff like this, unless you get two batteries. My dremel lasts for about 7-15 minutes depending on usage, but I mostly cut metal on full rpm. Then it's back to the charger and work is done for the day.

PS: great reviews on stuff we care about here at bit-tech :):)

14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

ROFL

Brushless motors put out vastly more torque than a comparable brushed motor, and last much longer due to having no brushes ( only the bearings to wear out eventually ). The problem is that BL motors of this size are 3 phase and require complicated controllers, just like r/c BL systems- cost, size and weight of the electronics make BL power tools very rare and expensive ( I've seen one BL cordless drill to date ).

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

great article! I liked it!

What about a comparison of the major brands? like b&d dremel and some other?

I know I have an old dremel and a B&D and I prefer the the B&D tbh (quieter, better torque, and compatible with dremel attachments). But again, my dremel is old.

16. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Great Article and quite pleased with this novelty! Didn't notice the previous review for the Everise tool. Keep them coming! I would like to see some B&D tools in here, not as advertising but to see how they compare to Dremel's

17. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

I've got a lathe with a 240v 1000w bl motor in it, silly money for the motor but has a huge amont of torque from it for its size.

18. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

I would like to add, yes this Dremel to me would be a great buy, why ? Its simple, it plugs into the wall.
    Not sure if any of you read into Dremel reviews in previous years, but one thing they forgot to mention, is that if they are battery powered, they find it difficult to cut butter. Thanks for letting me find out the hard way.

19. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We have tried approaching B&D but they haven't come back to us. Several other companies have though so watch this space for more reviews!

20. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

Oh, so that's what a Dremel is!

Tags: Add Tags