1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Anonymous Facebook threat a bluff?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Aug 2011.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Im okay with this, my hope is that the game side is soooo screwed up that it will take facebook a long time to fix those annoying games.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

They want to take down FB in November? And the point to this would be, what exactly? Just another load of ******** excuses to cause trouble. When will these hacker groups just piss off and die..

3. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

we need one of those partitions, but saying we want this to happen and if you could delete my account along the way please do so :D

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'd rather they go for Facebook than anything with my bank details! Break it, steal all my data, whatever, just keep away from my dwindling funds!

5. Canon

Canon Reformed

For the love of god, these juvenile morons just need to stop watching 'V for Vendetta' and thinking "I'm a revolutionist". No, you're a stupid **** kid that thinks he's a real badass. Just like when I let my nephew watch a kung fu movie, for the next week he is running around 'karate chopping' everything within reach.

So you can run a DDoS or get access to accounts and sites, because there aren't a million 12 year old American children offering 'tutorials' on this all over the web, namely youtube..

6. Fujukami

Fujukami What's a Dremel?

+1 there!

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I like my FB account :(

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so they plan to hack a database that users use to share data?

meh, hack away i say. that'll teach people who post every detail of their life on there.

(i don't use facebook like most other people, i only share links via twitter, which gets reposted on FB automatically. no personal stuff are posted on my FB)

9. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

This would be hilarious if they achieved it, fb culture has got out of hand. I have Facebook but only use it coordinate events with my friends. If I want to contact someone I have this little device called a mobile phone. It would be great not to have xxxxxxx just had a dump ( or something of that ilk) all over my news feed every 5 minutes :)

10. knarF

knarF Noob

The problem is with Anonymous that absolutely anyone can do something like this and decide that they are part of it, this has been suggested on Anonymous forums before and always laughed at, this will backfire and make Anon look stupid for suggesting it.

11. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

+1 :clap:

12. Denzin

Denzin What's a Dremel?

I'm kinda amazed they got Hawking to front this.

Seriously, meh, who cares? If it's genuine, they'll take it down, the peeps who own FB will then probably say its gonna be off line for a short time whilst some extra security measures come in (if at all) and then it'll be back up.

13. jimchalmers

jimchalmers What's a Dremel?

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Oh the wonderful "that'll teach 'em" logic. :rolleyes:

And all the people who don't lock their doors should be robbed, and all of the people who don't check their smoke alarms monthly should have their house burned down, and all the people who eat fast food should get diabetes, so and so on because I don't like when people aren't like me and bad things should happen to them as a result of our differing behaviour.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the original logic behind my point (which wasn't written out correctly) was that those shared information are pretty much public anyway. there really isn't much difference between "extended network" and "public". hackers is only a very small group of people, much smaller than extended network in most people on facebook.

no harm done IMO. may be a few password been stolen, just change it.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There are actually plenty of ways for users to restrict access to what they post on Facebook, the fact that a large number of users are oblivious to them doesn't justify harming those who are careful about what they post.

Speaking from personal experience, the large majority of information I post on Facebook is restricted to actual friends, people I know in person and keep regular contact with. The various security settings in place do a fine job of making sure those on my friends list (and those that aren't!) who I don't know as well aren't privy to information I want to keep restricted. Short of people hacking through these settings my personal information is safe.

It's a similar sitaution to online purchases. You give out sensitive information under the presumption that it will be safe, even information given out of Facebook is given out on the conditions that only those allowed under the user's security settings will have access to it, most certainly not the public. The only real threats to that are a) the holder misusing the information or b) hackers accessing it. Surely you wouldn't think it would be fair for hackers to take addresses and credit card numbers from online stores simply because users were willing to part with their personal information and place trust in an outside party?

It should also be noted that these hackers are notorious for not simply taking the information for themselves, be disseminating on torrent sites. Again, far more public than even the largest Facebook friends list.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hacking is neutral if anything.. there's a legit use for the hacks that are found by regular folks

what's so cool about hacking is, if your passionate about it, you'll find tricks to optimize the hack.. or in some rare cases find a hack by yourself.. how you use it is another thing

now hacking a persons bank account or personal data- that's another deal imo your messing with his money and credit

people who put down all hacking is pretty harsh.. it's really interesting stuff.. like take for instance 2wire routers around here.. almost everybody and their grandma owns one

at&t sells them with their dsl service.. the problem is- default they come with a 10 character numeric password and in the gui setup- it defaults to use this password with a radio button

so most young guys and gals, they'll set wpa2 and think ahahha and run around with a wii remote in their hand after they dropped their iphone into the toilet and then used it (possibly rubbing it all over their face).. from what I've seen that is the basic setup in a lot households.. a wii or playstation 3, or both.. 2 phones- usually iphones and a couple of computers wit laptops that connect in and out of that network

the trouble with a 10 character all numeric password is.. to have a 100% chance to break that pass only takes 30 hours with a dedicated server running one 6970.. you can script it to resume or do it all at once.. all routers sold have a weakness such as this- just that one is pretty hard to forgive.. so instead of having around a 50/50 chance with a good dictionary, you have 100% chance to break into a guys lan

the techs at at&t setup all the routers wep to add insult to injury.. so it turns 30 hours into 2 minutes to get into a wireless network.. if everyone just sat back and said- oh were secure stfu! these big companies would never change the error of their ways..

in at&t case, I don't believe it's an error- I think they like leaving people's networks open on purpose.. I think guys like lolsec who do these things publicly are helping the general public out big time.. they are forcing these companies to fix gaping holes that otherwise some chinese guy is sitting there with your cc in his hands buying blow up dolls- get it from lack of women :D:D

ok bad joke.. but basically your mad at the wrong people

like there's a guy running around right now with your cc getting a mustache ride jumping out of an airplane.. and you wouldn't find out about it till you went to buy a house.. when this generation gets older, it will be mustache rides all over the place and I will hopefully have croaked

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  18. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

If it isn't a hoax, it may be the first time I cheer a hacking group...

Tags: Add Tags