1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod of the Month Mod of the Month July 2011 - vote now!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Claave, 11 Aug 2011.

?

Which is the best mod this month?

Poll closed 31 Aug 2011.
  1. Lian's Spirit by Bumbeldi

23 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Phantom Noir by 23RO_UK

27 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. ROG RAMPAGE by nhenhophach

95 vote(s)
    42.4%
  4. Silverstone TJ11 Carbon by kier

87 vote(s)
    38.8%
  5. Watercooled CarPC by Angel OD

75 vote(s)
    33.5%
  6. WCC: a Present from GlaDOS by thechoozen

49 vote(s)
    21.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Great choices this month! And I'm glad that we are getting an increase in votes overall too. good community.

I vote on creativity and how much the project inspires me or wow's me. Sponsorship doesn't matter to me when voting. Sure I would like sponsorship on my future projects, but we'll see what happens. Components also don't mean too much to me, as computers have varying purposes and don't always need the biggest, fastest, quietest, etc part. Components also get outdated quickly.
    All of us have different balances in our lives on how much time and money we put into everything: home, work, school, family, modding, other hobbies, etc. We don't need to feel the need to match the balance (or funding levels or equipment) that the next person has... As long as we get some fulfillment and enjoyment out of this activity - isn't that the purpose of a hobby?

Waynio and Gentleman_Dingo like this.
  2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I voted for for all this month :clap: they are all great projects :thumb:.

3. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

+1 rep. and beautifully said.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Absolutely mate :) +rep :thumb:.
    Before my latest project I used the same gear in all 3 of my first scratch builds :D, just changed the gpu once or twice & upgraded to an ssd, first for me it started with just wanting a case in a more optimised form that costs less to make rather than a regular type which I think is a bad design (for air cooling at least) I was in the belief that case manufacturers were purposely avoiding making the perfect design for a case so they can carry on selling them with tiny improvements as time goes on :lol: & pretty steep prices then I started actually enjoying the learning process a lot & then the creative side & completing a nice project it's just awesome :), so kept getting a new tool now & then so I could do things I couldn't imagine on how to do before with the most basic tools, I'm comfortable going into this slow & not trying to wow people & focus on new tricks with each build instead so each one just gets better than the last & I've said it before & here goes again, modding is like an awesome RPG game to me :D you start of a bit rubbish (well I did :D) & you just get better the more you do or practice, so as long as I can squeeze a few hours a few times a week into it then I'm happy to be doing something fairly unique, computer modding is still a bit of an obscure thing to be doing in many peoples eyes but I kind of pity none modders :lol: as they have to buy everything from stores rather than let their imagination cook something awesome up that isn't available anywhere commercially & if it was it would probably cost a fortune & mass produced, in many cases it's unrecognised art but functional art so it's my favourite art & I never held much of an interest for art but this is combining art & computers & I've really grown to like it, the only kind of art I used to like & still do is Anime or really excellent paintings/drawings, it doesn't end at computers neither, whatever I make from now it will be art that functions in some way, but if I start getting pretentious people please do say & I’ll go dunk my head in cold water :D.

I've said I was going to have a time out to practice various things to add to my skills but I'm actually going to after my latest so I can keep making better than the last :D.

5. enzu

enzu What's a Dremel?

Truly amazing job done by all, it was very tough to vote for just one :)

6. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

That's some tough competition this month! Each one would be a worthy winner.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

this is not fair as I like three of them

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well... That's why you can vote for more than one mod! :p

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

:duh: Yep you have multiple votes now people. Remember for next time!!! Even so, this many voters on just day two is an awesome turnout!

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

oops

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I don't believe for a second that sponsorship sways many of the votes, BT forumites are more likely to vote for quality modding and ideas than high spec machines. To reiterate I will leave a few pictures here.

2 MOTY winners and a MOTY runner up, all three don't have great hardware.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. lucifer_az43l

lucifer_az43l What's a Dremel?

I LOVE it. Good Luck

13. SooChip

SooChip What's a Dremel?

Definitely, I vote for ROG RAMPAGE by nhenhophach. I have met him in reality. He's such an artist:))

14. nhenhophach

nhenhophach Bit-tech

Thanks Bit-tech for the nominee and members for voting
    I just update my complete build.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Mind going a bit lower? :rolleyes:

One thing I forgot from the original post was that the community size and number of voters evens things out even more. "Ooh shiney parts" gets some voters' attention, but there are also plenty of people voting for the other projects based on other reasons.

And the Attila's and Slipperyskip's builds are a great example of what can be done with creativity and skills with hand tools. Sure, they get some sponsorships, but it's not like you couldn't afford the stuff they get for free.... And either way, they sure deserve the stuff. :clap:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

186 & counting, nice :D already a new record woo hoo :clap::rock::D.

Again I have no regrets voting for all this month :D all excellent mods, I know it's a sign of indecisiveness but my mind has been bogged down the past week thanks to some BS in my country so I'm glad the option was there to prevent my head getting more pickled :D.

And sponsorships & winning prizes to help take some weight off the overall cost of a project are awesome for the modder & the companies, you don't ask you don't get, you mod bad you don't get, proven track record you might auto get if lucky (only seen this a couple of times) or if ask you might get & the companies will be glad to sponsor as long as you do them proud :D just going off what I see but got my first sponsor on my latest kind of accidentally which I'm happy with especially with the sponsor being 1 of my mod idols :D.
    But as Antony said somewhere I read fewer companies are putting as much budget into sponsoring at the moment which to be honest is no surprise with more & more getting into it & economics etc, I still haven't gone to ask any companies for the help, the case feet from Bill MNPCtech was kind of by accident :D, I'm used to really scraping by to support my interest in modding so if I see a glimpse of possibility to do it all myself I do, just don't like relying on others to get parts I actually want & specific parts as it's for my own use as my main rig & not just for show or to win comps to gain free hardware.

The only thing that disappoints me in modding & only slightly is when the modder doesn't actually make it & pass it off as their work which anyone could do with money & or contacts but many circumstances that doesn't bother me at all but if it does I just leave it, end of the day people who let others do the skilled work for them they won't learn the skills it took to do it & will remain a newb modder & I'll see them as such, that's a big part of the fun with modding having little to no skills & working through it gaining/developing skills then anything that comes to mind as an idea you can just go & make when you are ready & not wait for someone else or have a big bill for it :), but still that doesn't take much away from a finished awesome mod :) so just a little nit picking from me on that & just my personal opinion really :p no different than people who buy pre assembled PC's at a premium with iffy specs or custom part PC's with exact wanted specs & much nicer price, hopefully I said that right where it doesn't bother anyone :D.

I said a while ago I'd love to see some mods from the world where language kinda blocks communication but in modding the awesome modding can pretty much speak for itself, I've enjoyed seeing filimons mods a heck of a lot & he rarely says a thing so it's fun & pleasantly shocking when he actually does have something to say :D so thank you nhenhophach for sharing that sweet mod if I was to share my mod over on 1 of your local forums I'd be like filimon without words or if I tried, failed with bizarre funny translations :lol::D anything you had to say was understood nicely :thumb:.

I could make case after case all year but I don't see the point if I already have 1 I like & can't fault :D unless I was to start selling them so after my latest I'll be practicing & learning new skills & making some nice furniture to take a break from modding for a bit I think.

OMG I can woffle on & on sometimes & I don't know why, I doubt anyone reads it :hehe::lol: now I need to grab a cattle prodder to give myself a whack with it to get me in gear to finish my mod :lol::D.

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I just like the fact that if you add up all the % in the vote, it's about 162%! :lol:

nhenhophach, Kier and myself have 124% of the votes... :lol:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Much less blah & more modding from me when & if I get the real motivation, really had my karma mucked up the past week. I'd have probably been ok if I avoided the serious discusion threads :D.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2011
  19. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Great mods this month as usual and a very difficult decision!

Regarding the topic of whether a build is sponsored or not -

This should not matter if you are looking at the case itself and not the hardware. We should be judging on the creativity of the mod, the building process, and the overall finished look and quality. This is a "MOD CONTEST". Not a "most expensive looking computer contest".

I have seen amazing mods win that have had less that $300 into the whole thing.

Should we start saying it's not fair because someone has more money in their wallet? Or, that they have more experience so that's not fair? Or that they have a higher IQ so it's easier for them?

The answer = NO

The only way to make some people happy would be a contest where everyone starts with the same exact case, the same exact tools, the same exact IQ, the same amount of time, etc., etc.

It's not a perfect world. Never will be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some modding to do....:cooldude:

20. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

C'mon! Let's get to 200+ votes this month :rock: