1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Happy 30th Birthday, PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Aug 2011.

1. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

My first PC, that's interesting because i was lucky to have a computer enthusiastic father, with knowledge in both software and Hardware.
    When i was born my father had an Atari 800 laying around and he never let me use it afraid that i was going to break it. Eventually i broke the Atari by revenge.
    Then he bought an IBM PS/1 with 386, mathematical processor, windows 3.11 and 80Mb of HardDrive (wasn't enough disk space), Sweettttttt. But he still didn't let me use it that much afraid that i broke-tit again.
    When he bought the PS/1, i asked to have a computer of some sort, well, i was lucky this time, Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k with the floppy disk reader on the right of the thing. Many games to play, played 6 and 8 hours strait. Getting older i begin to experience some coding on the spectrum, then my father let me use the PS/1 to code.
    Many machines passed thru my hands since then, wich since around 1997 i build them witch a pricipal in mind Money/Performance. Now i just need to read bit-techs hardware guide to now what to buy i no much effort.
    There was a good thing having my father forbidding me of messing with his computers, (the forbidden fruit is the most desired) and that i thank him, now im a mediocre sucessfull Program Writer, lol.

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

This article makes me feel old.

I am a little surprised by bit-tech staffs first PCs - P133? 486? I would have thought they had gotten in to PCs before those days.

This article makes me feel old.

3. JJW

JJW What's a Dremel?

Herman Holloway? I think you mean Herman Hollerith.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

To be fair a PC is quite expensive for a child to buy themselves

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I came in at just the right time with my very first being a P75. Had to upgrade my 8MBRAM to 16MB in order to play Quake, I remember that much. Also accidentally clicking 1280x1024 in Quake 2 using Software rendering was a bit of a mistake

6. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

My dad used to bring home PCs to do work on in the early 90's. We would play games on them of course. Our first computer was a Mac Performa 5400 that we got for Christmas in '96. I would have been 5 at the time. Most of my memories of that machine involve Doom. It's still in the wardrobe.

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Read my entry again - my PC was the first PC.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

1st proper PC, Amstrad 5286, 286 @ 16mhz, 40MB HDD, 1MB Ram (640k conventional, 384k Extended) VGA 256 colours @ 320 x 240 or 16 colours @ 640 x 480.... what a beast!

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That's not a "convertible" - that's a sentry gun control unit from Aliens!

Well, OK, it's not, quite. But it very nearly is.

10. TheDitherer

TheDitherer What's a Dremel?

In paragraph 1, the inventor of the punched-card system should be Herman Hollerith. Great article, though.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My first 'PC' was a 286 with 2MB of RAM (upgraded from 1MB). I had previously been using a Commadore 16+4 to play games though.

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Oops, fixed now :)

13. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

I have the same birthday as the PC, awesome!

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

First 2 computer were an Acorn Electron and an Amiga 500. I was then donated an old IBM XT PC by my cousin. From then it went to a Pentim 4 (early Time Machine) and then laptops up to my current i5 13" Acer laptop and an i2600k beast :)

I remember copying out code from an Acorn magazine and saving it to a tape drive - happy days!

15. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

ahhh windows 98 :) Haha, that was my first PC- Dont remember the specs properly as I was still relatively young! Cost a fair bit though, and played Unreal and Turok very well...

Just to add, I was born just after the internet was supposedly created (19 years ago for me, 20 for it) ;)

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Excellent little article BT. I built a 486 DX2 with my dad out of spare bits and bobs he had. I was maybe 8-10, so you can guess who really did most of the building. Built everyone of my own from that day since.

17. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

One of the best articles I've read in recent years. Well done guys. My first PC was a White toshiba laptop running windows 3.1, played lots of educational games when I was about 3 :)

Then had a Black Higrade laptop running windows 95 on a 1.25GB HDD. loved my Roller Coaster Tycoon. Loved that machine, managed to melt the underside of it :(

Then got my first desktop, a K6 600Mhz, 128MB, 4.3GB HDD, Win 98SE, and a Geforce 2 GTS. lovely little machine.

When that died, I built my first machine aged 11. She was an Athlon 3200+ 939, 512MB RAM, Gigabyte board, reused my Geforce, etc etc.

History of PC's is amazing, let's hope the future is just as interesting :)

18. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I remember having FIFA96 in floppys, and to load them one by one... I remember my frustration when one broke down, cd's were a "myth", too expensive...

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

In 1996 I threw away an IBM XT as shown in the photo, monitor and all...it still worked as I started it up before binning it!

It would probably be worth a bit now as a collectors item...

20. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

That was awesome, and its amazing how technology has progressed in the last 30 years (im 30 soon) so i cant wait to see whats in store over the next 30 years, long live the PC.

Tags: Add Tags