1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Audio looping after game crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 12 Aug 2011.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Maybe just a waste of time asking here but I want to at least want to try and ask you guys first.

My sound system right now is a Asus Xonar DX hooked up with a Logitech Z-5500 with the latest driver for the sound card.

The problem is when games crash (notably Fallout games, but also any other game every one and a while) the sound loops and there is no way to stop the loop but restart my PC. Normally it's not that big of a deal but when playing games like Fallout I'm forced to restart every half hour near enough. Seems trivial but it's bugging me now, and I can't find any solution via Google so is there a solution or should I just bear with it and find a non broken game to play?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you mean a full system crash (BSOD) or a crash to desktop? As I only get this when a get a BSOD. If its on a CTD then I'd try reinstalling the Xonar drivers and software. Eitherway you shouldn't be getting that many crashes, Fallout is buggy as hell (the bugs with the latest DLC have effectively stopped me playing as it crashes whenever I fast travel) but other games should be fine.

3. SmilerAl

Just CTD, I close the .exe but the sound still loops. Most other games never crash, certain other buggy games like Stalker crash too and have endless loops. Once I get into them though the crashes become very more apparent and in the end is the reason why I give up on them. I will try and reinstall the sounds software now.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

When did this start happening?

5. SmilerAl

Months, probably since I've had the sound card, only recently has it got on my nerves though with the games I'm playing being buggy.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just try uninstalling it completely and using the 7 default driver and see if it clears up. Otherwise try removing the card and seeing if that sorts it, as there may be a conflict with the software or a fault with the card maybe.

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

It's a known Xonar driver problem, we all suffer from it - Call it the price of having good quality audio.

Some say trying the custom Xonar drivers solves it, but the third party/custom drivers lack front-panel audio support so I can't use them to test...

TSB

8. SmilerAl

Oh thanks, glad to know it's not just me then. Might just try these custom drivers then.

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I had this problem with my Xonar in the past, particularly with Oblivion and Fallout 3.
    I can't remember for certain but I'm pretty sure I resolved the problem by disabling GX mode and never using that abomination of a feature again.

It's glitchy, messes with upmixing, is known to cause games based on the Gamebryo engine to crash frequently (Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc ) and I'm almost certain it was the source of the looping-buffer issue that you're experiencing.

The only reason I'm not 100% certain is that it's been so long since I fixed this problem that I can't recall if there was something else I did.
    I started using the custom drivers sometime after the issue was resolved, so I don't think that's the solution but I feel they're worth using anyway.

10. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

ive been getting this aswell with my xonar ds on fallout new vegas and you guessed it, oblivion.

I have custom drivers installed and it still didnt fix the problem. ill be trying the "Disabling GX Mode" and see if that fixes it. I actually thought i was the only one with this problem, seems im not.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I never get it with my Xonar DS though... odd :S

12. SmilerAl

So far I've not had it sound loop on me since I turned off GX. The game used to crash when I died too but after taking off GX I've killed myself 5 times and no crash. Hopefully you've just fixed my issue good sir.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ooooh, maybe this is whats bugging out fallout for me too then :) T'll have to give it a go later...

14. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Original thread - here

TSB