1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Did you work really hard to make such a cable mess ? :D

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

AMD e350
    2x 2GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    2x 160GB 2.5" Seagate in RAID1
    3x 2TB 3.5" Hitachi in RAIDZ1
    180W Fortron PSU

Running NexentaStor 3.1.0 + Squeezebox Server

[​IMG]

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it was a failed white/orange Antec 300 mod. The white turned nicotine-yellow when I applied the lacquer so it was shelved in the basement. It's very good for being the server. Has two 140mm fans in the front, a 140 in the top and a 120 in the back. My next plan for it is 2x2tb HDD's to bolster the storage space a bit. I'm down to 400 gigs of usable space on it.

Well, it's a non modular PSU and since the computer is hidden for 99% of it's life I didn't really bother much with the cable management - though I should do it if my OCD kicks in any time soon. It's also easier to add stuff to it this way. You don't have to worry about keeping up the cable management as it is butt-ugly anyway :D

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

Top box. Bottom box is my gaming PC/work PC when the missus kicks me off our other one to do work.

Takes too long to open up because Lian decided to use 8 Philips screws on the side :rolleyes:

Inside is 2TB JSOD array made up of 'old' hard drives - 500GB 2.5 inch disk, a 1TB F3, 500GB WD Green and a 30GB craptacular Kingston SSD. Running X2 250 at 2GHz, 1.1V with 4GB of ram, J&W 890GX mobo (4 SATA!), Seasonic 400W PSU, Passive CPU cooler and Win 7 (because it runs uTorrent and Dropbox better and I can remote desktop to it/media center stream from it). I've got everything on it backed up on my main PC anyway so if the JBOD fails it's no trouble.

Yea both of them are ex-Review kit, but I emailed Lian Li, J&W and Kingston but none of them wanted their stuff back and none of the people I know needed these bits (they use laptops) so I ended up making use of it then have it sitting in a box. The bag next to it has personal kit I still can't find a use for and will be selling soon: that was my old Atom server.

It runs absolutely silent. I literally cannot hear it on and have to check by looking at the Ethernet port on the back. The only thing it's slow at is decompressing RARs and integrity checks.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Aug 2011
  5. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Synology DS209 w/1Tb Samsung F3 drives x2

Have it connected up to the media center, I'll take some pics this weekend. Just finished moving into my new apartment!

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ah I see, I think I remember that from the project logs forum. Mine is in a very early edition plain black Antec 300 which has had my usual chassis mods done on it for cable management and PSU ventilation, and the chassis was powdercoated satin black. It houses a mini ITX Socket 1156 board at the moment and a cheap 4 port Adaptec RAID card that I got second hand off eBay - it's over half full of drives - there are 8 in there, 4 on the storage controller and the rest on the 4 onboard ports of the board. The first 4 are in the stnadard 3.5" bays and the other 4 (the array) are in the 5 bay vertical Icybox enclosure that's mounted in the 5.25" bays. The array is 4x 2TB drives in R5 and the JBOD discs are 3x 1TB and a 160GB, 7200rpm laptop drive as the system disk. I plan on liquid cooling it once the Mini ITX board is replaced with something bigger and capable of handling the rest of the stuff I plan on putting in it - a much higher capacity and faster storage controller, a dual gigabit NIC and a mid spec graphics card to allow it to do a little video rendering from time to time.

I designed a whole range of PCs around that case, how do you think I feel?! :hehe:

Nice setup though :thumb:

7. faugusztin

There is a huge range option between good cable management and direct A-to-B cable management (your case). Retracing which SATA cable ends where or where is the end of this power cable ... For example your 8-pin, fan cables and especially the red SATA cable gives me nightmares. :D

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I have one of these in place of where the optical drive normally sits.

9. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

What I would also like to ask is what do you use for monitoring your server, disk space, CPU loads, network usage.

I'd like to be able to call up a page on my server locally (192.168.0.#) in my browser and see a statistics page, its possible for Linux but I haven't seen anything for Windows :/

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You are perfectly right - I am just trying to talk my way out of cable managing it. I might get to it whenever I have some spare time. Might be when I upgrade the disks.

11. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Just a DNS-323 here with a pair of 1.5TB drives, but It's been full since day 1, so I'm eyeing an old celeron 356 sitting my shelf shelf. If I can downclock it to the point that it idles under 30W, I may just make a NAS server out of it.

12. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I have a Nagios server at work that I use to monitor all of my customers equipment, So it's just an additional host on that, (that's propably a tad overkill though)

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

Great thread and timing, I am just thinking about redoing my storage solution.

I currently have my main machine with an ssd, storage and backup drive, which is backed up to one drive on my nasbox (d-link dns320) which then backs that drive up onto the other, basically faux raid so I don't need to worry about raid array failing.

But I also have a now spare mini-itx machine which would be quicker and quieter than the dns320; when the fan kicks in, even on the lowest it is annoying loud.

All I need to work out is what is the smallest case I can get 4 hard drives in. I have an sg05 at the minute, which I could probably get 4x3.5" in with some modding, but I just don't have the time, also the power supply isn't the quietest.

Any suggestions for the smallest case that can take 4 (or more) hard drives? Oh and it has to be quiet... I know, I am not asking for much :D

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  14. faugusztin

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=42

Above that... You should think about Fractal Array 2 and Lian Li PC-Q08.

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

Holy thundercats that is awesome! But unless I change my gear I can't use it, my board only has 2 onboard sata ports, so I am using the pci-e slot to give me more, I think the card is too wide to use with a 90 degree riser :(

16. Unicorn

Mine is one of these :)

At the moment I just log into it via a secure logmein or VNC connection, but in the future when it's a proper host server I will be able to login to the control panel remotely and view statistics etc there.

Nice idea - mine is a SB i3 2100T, producing 35W total power. Plus the newer drives etc - I'm not sure what it's loaded power usage is at the moment but I've been meaning to meter it to find out. With the all-JBOD setup that I had before, and the i3 540 CPU, it was burning over 100W almost every time I gave it something to do.

17. faugusztin

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Here's my setup:

[​IMG]

A drobo with firewire 800, connected up to my old MacBookPro, which is now running as the server up in the study:

[​IMG]

Between the two of them they handle all the backing up and network storage for the GOO household, and also shares all three printers.

I'd like to replace the MBP with a new mac mini, as the MBP only has FW400, so it's not running at full speed. Anyone want a mint 2006 15" Core Duo MBP? ;)

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Three printers?! Why so many?

What are you thinking of for the MBP?

20. Unicorn

There are 3 printers here as well... Two in the office and one in the workshop. A B&W laser and colour photo inkjet in the office and a colour printer/scanner/copier inkjet in the workshop.