1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

That's useless for the kind of fine, detailed work seth does. He uses a hand nibbler. ;)

Thank you. I think some of you are confused about the curved plates I showed earlier. These are for the rear of the case. I'm in the process of making the front intakes now. They will be much prettier with lots of room to breathe. ;)

2. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

That just sounds painful and tedious. I condolences to your hands and joints.

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Aaah cool. Can't wait!

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^ Me too :D.

5. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I've managed to scrape some stuff together for a decent update, so here's what I've done over the last month or so.

The following details the work on the front intakes. These are the large intakes directly in front of the radiator. Some smaller 'grilles' will be made, of different design, to sit below these and some 'headlights' will be made to be placed above. These will be the power and reset switches.
    Some expanded mesh will be placed behind the intakes and painted either matt black or body colour, not sure yet.

First some side pieces are cut from 4mm stock, top and bottom cross pieces from 8mm and the 'blades' from 6mm.

[​IMG]

The front curves are just roughly shaped.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the edges that are secured to the side pieces are made exact with reference to a template.

[​IMG]

The parts are laid up and then the drilling and tapping is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we end up with one............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then two assemblies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the lower strut needs to be remade (again) due to a miss calculation. But this is OK. I'm very good at these now and it only takes an hour or so. :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the intakes. Once all the parts were made, they needed to be shaped to fit the curve of the front. Firstly the side pieces were marked up and shaped to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then all the cross pieces were cut down with reference to another template.

[​IMG]

The very top piece doesn't have a lot of room for screw holes, so this part had to be re-made with the outer most drilling made very shallow.

[​IMG]

Gradually we end up with a set of parts.

[​IMG]

The whole assembly is put together to finish this part of the shaping. It's always a good idea, when putting together something with this many parts, to get all the screws started first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just playing around here. There is still a lot more detailed shaping to be done, but this can wait till much later.

[​IMG]

Then the second side is done, one blade at a time.

[​IMG]

And we end up with some parts that are, perhaps, ninety percent done. Don't worry about the screw holes here, each part can only go in one position, and these will never be in view once the case is complete. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I think it's going in the right direction. :)

[​IMG]

Back when I can. ;)

Marcos_Viegas, Razer2007 and Waynio like this.
  6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

That is amazing. How do you manage to think of these cool grill designs?

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's got a very robotic look about it and the front sort of reminds me of the front of a building.
    Looking good...Top modding

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ooooooh Attila you rock :D brilliant work as always, I've been thinking of tig welding but who needs it really when you can do stuff this excellent & be able to take it all apart whenever needed +rep this is shaping up already to be your best so far I'd say, incredible all those unique parts to form that truly kickass front, the last photo is pure pure awesome & that must make you grin every time you see that :D.

State of the art factory in your shed & mind & hands :)[​IMG].

bit-tech please get a bow down emoticon on here it is so needed thank you :D.

9. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Attila congratulations for your awesome work with aluminium... you are awesome... a grand master on the art of cutting and molding aluminium :thumb:

Wonderful!
    [​IMG]

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Very very very impressive Atilla!

11. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

dont have any word its just like nothing else :O

12. BigGuy2

BigGuy2 What's a Dremel?

dude srsly, jizz in mah panties :O

everytime you touch the alu with that file im out of words

13. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Excellent work! Hopefully not too much of this alu skeleton will be covered up - it looks so good!

Side question: what type of tap and die set do you have? - you seem to be getting a lot of mileage out of it... And prices online can vary greatly with various set sizes, SAE vs metric, etc
    Any advice?

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Absolutely stunning! :jawdrop:

With a CNC, this would be really really cool!

Made by hand... I'm struggling to find the words... But at least 50 times cooler! :clap:

15. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Awesome work Attila, you continue to amaze me with your hand tool aluminium production skills :thumb:

Have you tried RDG they have a large range of quality taps and dies: http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Right_Hand_Taps_and_Dies.html

Also sometimes its cheaper to buy an entire set of taps and dies than to just get individual ones.

16. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I love the fact that "scraping stuff together" for Attila would be a major undertaking for anyone else ;)

Looking great. Really looking forward to the spin you put on the water-cooling layout...

17. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

The new front grille just SCREAMS "Autobots" - I'm thinking Optimus Prime. Very, very cool.

18. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Amazing work as always Atilla.

Out of interest, how much aluminium will this build use all up? It seems awfully expensive

19. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Attila beautiful grill design, and of course all your effort. :clap:

Is the design from early style auto, tall narrow rad, headlights and curved side panels? ;) :hip:

20. nhenhophach

nhenhophach Bit-tech

WOW, Extremely