1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cool things for Android

Discussion in 'General' started by Plastic_Manc, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Hey,

Had a bit of a search and couldn't find anything in relation to recommendations for the Android platform. I've had both an iPhone (work) and a Blackberry (Personal) in the last 6 months but yesterday got myself a new contract with a Samsung Galaxy SII.

So the question is, what do I need to be getting my hands on? Sadly it seems Sky Go is still a couple of months away but I immediatedly got myself Winamp which seems loads better than the standard gubbins and Sky Remote Record for the times I forget to record what I want to see on the box.

What else?

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a dullard and as a result, I only have the really boring utility apps :p However, I can recommend Trillian as a great chat program that is light and uses Google's C2DM push API, so it uses virtually no power.

Erm, if you want aesthetics, MinimalistText looks great and is a nice alternative to full image widgets.

Tapatalk of course, a great forum app that hopefully will improve with time, with more features.

Some more may pop into my head soon. I can't believe that I've forgotten when I've only been away from my phone for a week! (Gone back under warranty :()

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Here's a few that I use on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Sky+ App - If you have Sky+ or Sky HD then you can use your phone to remotely record things.

TuneIn Radio - so far the best radio application I've tried, gets all my favourite internet radios at good quality and local stations as well of course.

Google Translate? - I don't really see much reason for it, but its always fun to speak a phrase and see how it comes out in another language.

Amazon & eBay applications of course, they're must haves for anyone who likes to buy stuff. :)

Solo Lite is a good quality acoustic guitar application, I spend good amounts of time strumming on that when I'm waiting for a bus.

c:geo if you enjoy wandering around doing Geocaching.

Recipes - if you're like me and like to cook, it's a really good little application.

Sound Meter - useful little application for testing noise levels

Advanced Task Killer - I'm not really sure how good this one is, generally all the different task killing applications seem to do the same thing. I just went for this one as I like having the little Android Mascot as the icon.

4. lamboman

Do NOT use a task killer! They are not needed and can drain battery life as your phone constantly has to restart processes. Also, Android's memory management is extremely good.

Another good one to have is Google Goggles, as it is quite a useful app as a whole (for shopping, etc).

Navigation? Maps? Street View plugin? Those kinda things too.

5. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

If you are into electronic music then DI.FM is a must.

6. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

i'd recomend you SMS Scheduler, as the name describes it, great app to send short messages to be sent at a previously set time.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you can't remember if you already have that DVD/Book/CD/Game, or who you loaned it to, I'd recommend "My Collection Elite" (or Pro if you can live with ad-supported apps).

You just scan the item's barcode with your phones camera, the app wibbles away to Amazon & downloads all the details to it's database

[​IMG] <- scan this to install My Collection Elite

The Official NASA app gives access to all things NASA, up to & including NASA TV.

[​IMG] <- scan this to install NASA

My Taptu is a Multi-Feed reader for hundreds of news sites & web comics etc.

[​IMG] <- scan this to intall My Taptu.

Then there's Juice Defender, for extending battery life by shutting down wifi & data connections when they aren't being used.

[​IMG] < scan this to... well, you get the idea.

Gunsmith likes this.
  8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I don't have any source that claims opposite but I thought that was the point of task killer? I've certainly noticed and improvement of battery with it. All it does is close down all th programs running in the background, including its self?

9. lamboman

It depends how your are using it. If you are manually closing stuff constantly, then I'd stop doing this, using it only to kill tasks that have crashed. If you are using it to manage your memory, again, not much point, as it's essentially having to fight with Android's own management to do so.

I dunno, maybe because the Galaxy S2 uses little power at idle it improves battery life (which will be the first case that I've heard). I'd give both a try :)

10. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I'm getting on for 300 apps on my sgs2. I'll pick the best ten and get back to you......

Battery life is a bummer.

I've been in london for a few days with my kids. Phone, text, mms, Photos, videos, satnav, facebook, web search, tube map, transport planer, street map, price comparison, carpark finder, trafgic jam monitor. Battery got hammered, even with a usb booster I didnt have enough juice for a day.

sent by my spamming tapatalk-thingy

11. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Droid shooter
    My fitness pal
    Photoshop express
    Pushups
    Android vnc
    Bar code scanner
    Rac traffic
    Crackle
    Wapediad
    Shaknchange
    My tracks
    Lookout
    F1.com
    Call meter
    Go weather and wallpaper
    Whatgaspetrol
    Instant heart rate
    Binural beat stuff
    bump
    Parkfree
    Aa parking

I've left out most games, shopping, voucher, satnav choices. feel fre to ask.

I've got a bit of a fitness drive so listed a few above.

sent by my spamming tapatalk-thingy

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I generally use it when I've been running too many things to the point where the device starts to slow a little, rather than go turning off specific apps I prefer the option to kill them for a second and let the main system ones just reboot.

I haven't found it to drain the battery much when I use advanced task killer, only about 1-2% less which isn't too bad if you're only going to do it once in the middle of the day.

13. lamboman

Oh, if that's the case, then I guess that's alright. But doing it too much does completely mess up Android's own memory management, and can kill battery life as a result.

To the OP, try chompSMS (very fast and simple) or GoSMS (heavier and might have some issues still there), both great SMS apps that are powerful, faster, more featureful alternatives to the stock SMS app.

14. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hey

A great feature is that you can down load areas in to google maps so that you can use them when you have a slow data connection.

Personally I have put litening rom on my SG2 and its great. Check it out on XDA. I would also recomend that you check out a launcher like go launcher. its so much better than touch wiz.

I also use jorte as my calender wigiet. Swift key is a great keyboard. so much better than the samsung one you get with the phone. beautiful weather is also rather nice and circle batter widget. Bobclock is cool too and I use elixer to creat small icons such as one to turn the ringer off etc. Finally have a look at light grid, prismatic and solar winds for live wall papers.

15. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

I would reccomend using tapatalk for forums, it is compatable with many, including bit-tech .. its not free but its well worth it

16. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

there is a new acer 4.3 inch android dual core phone dodn't know the name. despite 4.3 inch screen it not that large because it is 21:9 aspect ratio
    going seacrh it for on google

17. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

saving the name somewhere

18. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

19. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Carrr Matey (Prirate themed car location program)
    IMDB app (saves on trying to load the whole website all the time)
    Call Confirm (never pocket/accidental dial again)
    Ringdroid (chop audio tracks down to make small ring/message tones)

20. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Tapatalk - a really good app for forums