1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

63k+ point WU?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Fisher., 11 Aug 2011.

1. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

I was poking around the folding.extremeoverclocking points site, and I stumbled across this:

[​IMG]

Kinda threw me for a loop, as those two WU's account for about 90% of that user's total points. Are those sort of numbers even possible? Not complaining, trying to get anyone in trouble, etc., but if these are legit then I'm crunching the wrong numbers :hehe:

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

WUs can provide well more than 63K.

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Check out the weblink below my sig (valid for the next couple of days) ... some of the current WU's are geared for about 350k :naughty:

Points tend to increase in the order; single cpu, -smp, -bigadv, -bigbeta ... if you've got the right hardware :dremel:

4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, those units are -bigadvs, running on a 2600k. You can read this his post, on how he setup up his new computer to get those results, http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=214229 .
    What hardware are you running Fisher? There are certain hardware requirements to run the bigger units.

5. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Whoops, didn't even occur to me that was the same person!

Right now I just have one client running in the background on a dual core i5, but I'm in the process of looking for new hardware. I got out of the game for the last year or so (mostly due to my apartment) but I was previously up to 3 GTX285's folding 24x7 and a couple random CPUs.

In skimming through the folding threads over the last few weeks, I think my money would be best spent on a 2600k (or better :naughty:) due to power/heat/size concerns, since I already have all the necessary equipment to put any new hardware under water.

IIRC, the GPU's were getting WU's worth at best 2k, but you'd run through them more quickly. Seeing a single one for 30x that just didn't look right to me, but I guess that's because I've never run -smp, -bigadv, or -bigbeta.

For now, I'm just jealous :D

BTW, anyone looking for some older 285's?

6. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Just remember, its all for science:D If you are running a dual core i5, you should be running an smp client. My i3-540 when clocked at 4.6, would do 8k a day(it does have hyper-threading to help). Those that are money conscious, not just in the initial cost but the running cost, the 2600k is a pretty good cpu to use. Running GPUs is expensive for the power to points ratio, although they can help heat your house in winter.:brrr:

7. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Do you have FOUR i7-980x's? :jawdrop:

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

He probably does, but I think that mammoth points estimation is from bigbeta, rather than bigadv :hehe:

9. DocJonz

Sort of ..... Two 980X's and two 980's :thumb:
    (Much quieter, cooler, and cheaper to run than all the GPU's I used to have Folding :D)

10. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

I've noticed that three of them are doing p6903/4s, is this still on -bigbeta? I've been away, come back and just fired up one machine, I've had now 4 normal bigadvs on the bounce :( before my break it was doing p6903/4s one after another :confused:

11. DocJonz

I've got the 980X's set for bigbeta, and the 980's set for bigadv (all running Ubuntu64) - I'm guessing P6904 is bigbeta, and P6900 & P6903 are bigadv .....

12. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

Pot luck I guess, and you seem to be luckier than me, I'm now on my 5th normal bigadv on the trot, and I tried the other machine with -bigadv as a one off (I've started to keep a close eye on the leccy meter) and that picked up a normal one too.