1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Counter Strike: Global Offensive (IE: CS 2)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tennisball, 12 Aug 2011.

1. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Wow, this was so far off my radar it wasn't even on my contemplation list. CS:S works great but new guns/grenades? Interesting ideas if they fit into the current balance.

Guess it mostly remains to be seen as it's all a bit of conjecture and rumour at the mo.

EDIT: Also, in before WHERE'S HL2:EP3?!

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Valve seem to be doing everything they can to avoid making ep3

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doesn't actually sound like a "new" CS though, it sounds like Source++ really. Not that I'm complaining, just saying there won't be that many devs off Ep3 to sort this out. :p

5. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Once again Valve wasting from time and money on something other than HL2:EP3

Sorry guys, but I know now for a fact the EP3 is never coming out - no matter how many times valve stutters "but, but, but..... look! Crowbar!!!"

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Screw Ep3, if this is any good you can erase the Half Life series' future starting now. I love it but....Counter Strike is.....everything.

It has a really silly name but focus on 5v5 is something that interests me, I always found BF's focus on larger numbers of players really annoying, I like to find someone, work them out over a couple of rounds and dominate them. Penetrating bullets and molotovs however...what the hell?

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm a bit skeptical. I never really warmed up to CS:S because, although it looks nice, it never has handled as well as the original CS or CS:CZ. That certain "feeling" just is/was missing from CS:S. I hope they can bring back some of it with this new attempt, but like I stated initially, I'm skeptical.

8. Canon

Canon Reformed

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm ready to bet 5$ that everyone will complain that it's 'not cs' anymore. I know this because CS is a broken game with terrible gameplay that players just managed to take advantage of (bunny hopping, awp jumping, spraying etc etc)

I had my share of fun in CS but, as a whole, I always knew it was a terrible game. the only thing fun about it was the fact that everyone was playing it (for some reason)

10. Canon

Canon Reformed

I think it's also down to how balanced the game is for each player, no silly level ups, no perks, no downloadable extras at a premium and very polished and sensible server add-ons that allow you to enforce rules and alter the servers behavior on the fly. Not to mention that Counter Strike Source will run on almost anything within reason.

I do understand why people find it a little irritating but even when I am the last person to play the game, I will carry on with some extra difficult AI because I simply could not function without Counter Strike :waah:

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

As long as the AK and Scout are still freaking awesome I couldn't give a damn what they do. I clocked up more than a thousand hours on Source and it got me completely hooked on PC gaming.

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I may be overly cynical and suspicious but the fact that it's getting released on consoles as well fills me with dread.

I'm not intending to start yet another PC vs Consoles debate BUT the fact remains that whenever something which is PC based has a sequel released on everything it suffers in some way.

DNF, Crysis 2, Fallout, Portal 2. Ok so Portal 2 was still absolutely awesome but the difficulty was slashed to a fraction of the first game and it had stupid fluff bollocks for your co-op characters to wear.

I am eagerly awaiting this one but i have fears, not to mention the fears already prescient surrounding BF3 (if they **** that up i swear i will go mad).

Fingers crossed, i love CS:S and a nice shiny new one will fill the void left by the rapidly dying TF2 for me so get it right Valve! FFS get it right!

13. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I really want this to be cross-platform. Showing my friends on consoles that PCs are far superior would be so sweet.

It would also mean I could forgive Valve for releasing TF2 as a F2P game days after I buy it.

14. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

That's exactly the reason I'm 99% sure it won't be. It's bleedingly obvious that the accuracy of a mouse compared to a controller will make any competitive cross-platform FPS exceedingly unbalanced. The use of aim-assist for controllers could possibly balance it out but it could just as easily make it unbalanced on either side, and you'll always get complaining from the PC players about how the consoles effectively have "hacks".

15. Canon

Canon Reformed

I doubt anyone would ever be so silly as to suggest aim assist for Counter Strike lol

16. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

still wont beat 1.6 competitavly in my opinion.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I hate this game. I suck so bad at it and everyone else is so damn good at it. Therefore I just don't play it. Not because I don't like the game. But because everyone else makes me not enjoy it. Valve, please fix!

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

There is only one way of fixing that, and it's simple: play more, get help, get tips, and then you'll get better. The reason people are "so damn good" at it is because it's a competitively played game, there are tournaments for it worldwide and some people have been playing it for 7 years now (myself included). I was terrible at a time as well, but as someone who's played CS:S since launch (actually I beta tested for a short while too) and who's played it at a competitive level, I had to get better to be able to hold my own against the level of players and teams that we were coming up against.

If this is released as cross platform I will cry. It will not work and it will not be good for the series. I have my many problems with CS:S in it's current form; the last update was a major mistake from the player's point of view - it only made Valve a lot more money by getting new players to purchase it because of the "revamp" - but things like the achievements, the new weapon damage model, the removal of 100 tick servers, the new hit reg/interp system and the new greande damage/effectiveness model just ruined the game for people like me who had gotten extremely used to playing it and playing it damn well the way it was, after the small '08 update that changed things like the crouch height. Perhaps the thing that pissed me off most about the 2010 update was the fact that they changed the configs and console variables so much that it broke many plugins, custom client configs and servers. That was the real dick move of the update IMHO. Had I still been runnign public and match servers when the update hit, I would have been even more pissed than I already was. I admit, the game is probably in a better state now than it's ever been, but the drastic changes took so long for people like me to get used to (I spent a fortnight re-writing my client config...) that it just annoyed many of us who'd gotten used to the previous build.

I can already tell that this new version will probably piss me off as well... because as someone has already said, it's not 1.6. Source had it's problems and could have been so much better than Valve managed with it in '04 but IMO was an improvement over 1.6 - which I only played for just over a year before CSS came along. A simple example of what I mean by "could have been better" are the maps, which I always thought could have been better. Take a look at maps like de_season, cpl_mill or de_nightfever and you'll see what really good CSS maps look like. Those custom maps make the standard maps look like amateur hour. Anyway, back to the new version; CS:GO probably isn't going to please me, although I may be wrong because they seem to be now aiming it more at 5v5 teams for competitive play. That's one thing that the new CSS update ruined IMO. I likened that update to changing the engine map of an F1 car before a world champion went out on track to race for an important victory. He'd really struggle with the new settings and would want the old settings that he had been winning races all season long with back. That's exactly how I felt the first time I played a 5v5 after the new CS:S update. Thankfully I wasn't playing in a competition or tournament.

I've since gotten mostly used to the changes in CS:S. I still don't think I'm back to the level I could play at in 2008/2009 but my reactions, aim and ability to use everything in the game faster and better than other players has come back a bit, and I can hold my own on a good day. I still have bad days where I don't play well, but I'm now half afraid and half relishing the challenge of mastering CS:GO when it's released.

And yes, that does answer the question: "Will I get it?" Of course I will, It's another version of CS... I wouldn't miss it for the world ;)

[edit]

LOL, it was only a matter of time before someone starting making jokes! :hehe:

Last edited: 14 Aug 2011
  20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

to be fair, CS is fun with a group of buddies at a lan but online, i find people take it too seriously.

I've noticed that the same choke points are 'nade spammed at the beginning of a match. All people use are the AWP, AK, M4 and Desert Eagle. For some reason the semi-auto sniper is always banned. I still can't get my head around how bullet spread works in the game. Aiming for the chest is pointless and i always find that the kills i make are lucky kills.