1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OnLive will launch in UK on 22 September

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Aug 2011.

1. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

This will NOT have a good reception here in the UK. Without going into statistics, it's fairly obvious that the majority of house holds will not have the necessary connection to run this. Say half of those (being generous)
    will be interested in using it.

It just reeks of fail. Come back in 5 or 10 years maybe

Mike

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Not for a long time yet. You would need an entire server farm to render it for each and every person playing.

3. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Umm...

Have you read the article?

The subscription is free ;)

4. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Meh. Give it five years and it might be worth doing. Early adopters are going to take some pain on this one, methinks.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I like mods, tweaking, taking full advantage of my hardware, gaming without input lag and all of the other benefits that come with running my games locally on my own gaming PC.
    I dislike the shift towards cloud computing and handing over control of my gaming to major publishers even more than they already demand, as well as all of the other inherent downsides of OnLive.

I also dislike the precedent this kind of thing sets in an already increasingly anti-consumerist market so I still hope to see this entire thing flop.

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

your thinking 10 20 30mb VM broadband (well they do have an upload cap on 50 and 100mb service thought but it still faster then most download speed you can get on BT where FTTC is not around)

7. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I've had the pleasure of using onlive for about 2 weeks over in Canada for my vacation.

The service works fine for me in this short space of time as i can't bring my rig and i only have my crappy notebook that can't run anything past 2002. I wouldn't recommend purchasing full games on the service but it is really cool how you can pretty much play anygame on the lists for free for 30 minute limits very quickly. Some games even have rental fees where you can pay a minuscule amount to rent it.

I was surprised by how good some games were (homefront MP/FEAR 3) by buying the playback bundle which nets you 70 games for 10 bucks(a lot of which are rubbish) to play fully for 1 month. that's a lot of entertainment for 10 bucks.

The only negatives i'd say are:
    - that there is a noticeable difference in mouse lag for FPS games. It's similar to some sort of mouse acceleration and takes a while to get used to.

-some games have their graphics settings capped at lower than max or at console quality levels.

-you can't play some of the co-op games with someone who doesn't have onlive.

tl;dr- onlive is best used as a rental service for now.

8. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Well I'm looking forward to trying this, I've got a 50Mb down and 5Mb up unlimited fibre optic connection from Virgin media.....ping is also very low so.....hopefully I'll get as good an experience as the service offers.
    I've signed up for it....it's FREE.....If I end up using it for nothing more than game demos or renting a game I'm thinking of buying for a couple of days to see if I like it then it will still be worth while.
    It will also mean I can game on my low powered general purpose pc rather than having to retreat to my gaming rig in my man cave......lol.

9. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Lots of folks moaning about their data caps and poor broadband. Way to miss the point. Although i agree this will fail, you've got to credit OL for trying something new and something that pushes the limits of our current infrastructure.

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Not when nobody can use it, no.:eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags