1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Worth waiting for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 14 Aug 2011.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have been weighing up the pros and cons of getting an iPhone, and am ready to buy one.

The only thing standing in my way is the iPhone 5 looming in the not too distant future.

There is a load of speculation over price, but nothing concrete - as expected.

So what do you lovely lot think:

1. Wait for an iPhone 5 and forget the 4
    2. Wait for the iPhone 5 to be released and THEN buy the iPhone 4 (at a lower price)
    3. Just buy the iPhone 4 now

Android users don't worry - I have an HTC Legend that will be kept for my personal phone, the iPhone is just for business :thumb:

2. RaisingCain

RaisingCain What's a Dremel?

I'd wait for the Iphone 5 and see what price it is, if its to much then buy a iphone 4 at a lower price.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

As you already have a Legend I would just wait. No sense in wasting money now.

4. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

I've heard the iPhone 5 is coming out this September.

I want the iPad 3, I went my iPad 2 back because of the bleeding on the screens backlight :(

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

o2 have told be after much persuasion that I will be guaranteed an iPhone 5 at launch for free, so for me, it is worth waiting. I currently use a 32GB 3GS handset and it works fine, although the camera seems to be very grainy these days. Maybe it just needs cleaned internally, may have a look at that some day. But otherwise it's pretty much fine and will hopefully last until I get the iP5.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

The iPhone 5 is barely going to be an upgrade of the 4 so it really depends on the prices I'd say so either way you need to wait until the 5 is released.

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

The Legend is used with my own personal SIM. The iPhone will be my business SIM - currently a Nokia E63.

I support a large number of clients now with iPhones - and talking them through the menus blind is a little tricky!

I love the Legend phone, and was considering getting an HTC Sensation or a Galaxy S 2 - but have made the decision to go iPhone... It could be a good or bad decision, but this thread was more to decide on waiting or not...

I have seen similar threads about how the iPhone 5 will just be a bit of a cosmetic change along with a faster processor.

Was there much of a drop in the price of the 3GS when the 4 came out, or was the 4 slightly more expensive?

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Go for option #1 or #2.

No sense buying now with 5 just around the corner. For all we know, it could be a dramatic change and as you said, there's the possibility of picking up an iPhone4 on the cheap.

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

But when is the actual release date... I am impatient... :waah:

10. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

If you're already on Android I don't understand why you're even looking at Apple. I've had an iPhone 3G, 3Gs and iPhone4 and after switching to Android I would never ever go back to the horrible nazi fascist world that is Apple. My 2 cents. Otherwise if you absolutely must fund the dark side just get an iPhone4 there's no point in waiting as it's barely an upgrade. They just want to sell you another phone for a higher price, please don't feed the troll...

Shirty likes this.
  11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Someone with common sense!

12. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I ordered a......

....HTD Desire S

I will get an iPod Touch to use for supporting my customers with iPhones etc (setting up / testing email and network connections).

I was going to go with a Sensation - was very close to getting one, but to get one at a low enough price to make it worth buying, I could get the Desire S and an iPod.

Desire S should be here tomorrow. Will wait for a bit to get the iPod as they will probably update to the new OS shortly after the iPhone.

13. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

No one really knows what's coming with the iPhone 5. If I were you I'd wait till the phone is announced then decided if it's worth the price over the iPhone 4.
    Worth noting though is that normally the previous generation of iPhone gets the full iOS update while older only get a partial update. For example the iPhone 3GS has the same features as the iPhone 4, but the iPhone 3G does not get some things like custom wall papers (I think).

iPods are traditionally updated in September.

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Someone will leave a test iPhone5 in a bar soon so we should know whats coming in the near future.

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Steve Jobs proctologist will find it in his hidey-hole.

16. DaveBC

DaveBC What's a Dremel?

I would wait. There are rumours that there is not just an iPhone 5 but a possibility of a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 - iPhone 4S? However this cheaper version will obviously have had things removed to justify making it cheaper.

I'd keep an eye on MacRumors Mac Buyer's Guide for up to date information on the iPhone.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Pretty hard to know whether to wait for something that no one knows about.

18. telephonebox

telephonebox What's a Dremel?

Look up the galaxy s 2 its the best thing around imo

Edit: sorry just realised you've ordered a htc desire

19. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

The Samsung would be great without the overlay. If it had HTC touch it would be fantastic.

20. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Yes sir, Samsung's TouchWiz UI (or whatever it's called) is 100% horrible. I have a Galaxy S and would never recommend their stuff unless you're ready and willing to root the phone and wipe it in favor of a custom ROM. So I look at the Galaxy 2 with some pretty crooked eyes...