1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. DJ101010

DJ101010 What's a Dremel?

Currently I am reading "Carte Blanche" by Jeffery Deaver. It's a new James Bond novel written by one of my favorite authors. When I finish that I'll re-read my favorite series of all time: "The Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazney. If you are into science fiction at all you should definitely check out that series!

2. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Currently reading Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams.

Series was hard to get into at first, but I'mreally starting to like it.

Gonna read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghost Story next

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Reading Lolita by Nabokov - a very controversial book (naturally; it's about a guy who has the hots for a twelve-year-old girl) but the prose is fabulous and it's captivating and very, very funny.

4. _Luddite

_Luddite What's a Dremel?

I'm a huge fan of both THHGTTG and Last Chance to See.

So...you read the entire works of Adams in a week? Impressive. Actually, that's not quite true. If you want to be a completist then pick up The Meaning of Liff and the Deeper Meaning of Liff, which are quite funny. The Salmon of Doubt is also a posthumous collection of essays, short stories and other random bits found on his computer after his death. A bit hit-and-miss, but some of it is Adamsian gold and rip-roariously funny.

theevilelephant likes this.
  5. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I'm reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It's a pretty chunky tome but I'm really enjoying it. It's a fictional historical account of the development of cryptography.

Really interesting book, and I like Stephenson's style, having already read Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. Definitely worth a look and it's got me nagging to visit the museum at Bletchley Park!

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Now reading The Hobbit - fancy something a bit lighter for a change lol.

7. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I was on holiday so I had plenty of free time and had my kindle with me :) I will check out the other books you mentioned, thanks.

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Just finished The Hobbit, and about to start Lord of The Rings.

9. BillMurray

BillMurray What's a Dremel?

I've just read Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg, very funny and worth a look if you're a fan of his work.

Am currently reading The Fry Chronicles by Steven Fry, about his life from university into his comic career. I wondered after I bought it if I was going to lose interest and not finish it, but I'm really enjoying it now.

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Slowly plodding through this! So hard to read at 6.30am on the train!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

11. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Am almost finished the first book in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' - yes I watch Game of Thrones... I am pretty impressed by the way they managed to get most stuff in the book into the TV show. Roll on the next book and series :)

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Just finished Dale Carnegie's How to win friends and influence people; a truly fascinating read and one of the most useful books I've ever read, although its advice should probably be wielded carefuly and subtly.

13. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 What's a Dremel?

La Divina Commedia- Dante Alighieri

This translation is by Robin Kirkpatrick and is very good so far

14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Now on Bill Brysons - A short history of nearly everything. Excellent if you are curious about science and question everything on a daily basis. Just HOW did they discover all this stuff etc..

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

SUCH a good book! Been reading his books again recently, very worn now :D

16. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Coinkidink!

I recently put this on my phone and had been flicking through the chapters while sat on the bog etc.

I was surprised by it - given that it is a well known title I was expecting something different from it but was disappointed it read like it could have been written by anyone - just full of endless anecdotes that could quite easily have been made up.

While there's no arguing with the points made in the book, I would say it is pretty much stating the obvious - if you can be nice to people, in a genuine way, then they will like you.

The problem lies in having to be genuine. The book is just telling you to be nice to people that you like in some way in order to be sincere. What the book seems to omit discussing at all is the fact that some people like me find an awful lot of people annoying and would find it hard to be sincerely nice to them.

My problem, I admit, but I don't think this book is much use for people like me. Obviously I need to try harder to find attractive traits in people, but as soon as I start trying I can't help but think the insincerity will start creeping in.

17. Kurze

Kurze What's a Dremel?

Recently bought Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb, so have spent the past few months working my way through The Farseer trilogy, The Liveship Traders trilogy and am now on Fool's Fate - the final book of The Tawny Man trilogy. Been many years since I last read through them all so seemed like a smart move to get myself back up to speed before moving onto new material in the same universe.

After that, back A Song of Ice and Fire!

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Euthyphro by Plato. It's pretty fantastic and pretty amusing too.

19. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Lord of Light is one of my favourite books, so I think Ill pick up a copy of these to read - thanks for the pointer :)

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Agree, I love it, but I've never finished it. It's a very, very long book, mainly because there are entire chapters about chemists, and seismology, and other stuff I find very difficult to be interested in. He does the best anyone could to make it all interesting, but when he got into the history of geology I gave up entirely.