1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma III . . .

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wira, 19 Aug 2011.

1. Wira

Wira Spoderman

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Really wanted to get into ARMA2 but i just was to dam hard to play... ended up wasting £25 on it... but this sounds like there making a bit more accessible this time around so good news.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've had ARMA 2 (non steam) a while now but its only this week I've found a populated server that isn't Russian and full of idiots blowing the home base up. I now like it as much as ARMA 1.

Glad Bohemia have added physics and movable steering wheel, hopfully they will replace the stupid robot voices with proper talented voice acting.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

What - Wrong - With - ARMA2 - Voice?

[lol i know, kinda kills the feeling of the game]

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

If you playe with the ACE mod, you can turn off the voices. Also there are various ways to do it with scripts also.

I have to say that it is looking very good indeed. Part of me was worrying that they would dumb it down to appeal to a wider audience, but it looks like all they have done is expose some of the more esoteric actions. Mind, you even if they had dumbed it down, the community would have just dumbed it back up again!

What I really love about Arma 2 is the huge amount of community mods out there and the fact that BI themselves support the modding community so well. You don't have to 'break' the original game to play with mods - play one mission with mods, quit and reload without them and you're back to the vanilla game. You even run the beta versions as a mod, which means you can switch between beta and non-beta really easily.

If they make mods 'hot swappable' in game for Arma 3 then this would be even easier.

Hopefully also the work they are doing at the moment with 'Inerpolating the Future' will come to fruition in Arma 3.

This is going to be something very special indeed I think!

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

The minute they make ARMA accessible it is no longer ARMA, thus a load of bollocks.

7. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Sorry to be blunt but these are all stupid complaints.

First off, what do think is difficult? It's supposed to be like a simulation, so shooting a guy at 700 metres after you've just run up a hill with 60+ pounds of gear on your back, isn't supposed to be easy. As for being shot at, you can crouch and you can lie down completely, you can hide behind trees and rocks and buildings and vehicles and you can lean out to take shots safer. You can snipe out of windows and balconies and rooftops, so the game provides you with everything you need to be sneaky and reduce the chance of being hit.

Basically, everything seems to perform and handle pretty close to how it would in real life, so I don't see how it can be criticised for being difficult. It's no more difficult than it would really be to shoot someone with a rifle or rocket launcher or tank or whatever else. If they change that, then it is no longer realistic. If you want something that is a bit less realistic and takes more of a fun approach, then surely that is what games like Battlefield 3 are for? Why try to drag the Arma down in to the typical FPS genre with everything else?

Base hunting: I am assuming you are talking about the CTI mode? Each team has a base, and killing the other team's base is one of the ways to win the game, so I don't see how this is stupid? Your base is MOBILE meaning your commander can sell up the base and move it to a new location and rebuild. The average map size is what, about 60 square kilometres? So if your commander can't find some sneaky remote location to build a base that wont be seen, then your commander is the one at fault. If they have moved the base but it keeps being spotted, then your team is at fault for not doing a better job.

Without base hunting, the only way to win is to capture every single town in the entire map. Even with base hunting I have seen games that have gone on longer than 12 hours straight. If you demand that the only way to win is by town capturing, then you are in the minority who doesn't mind a game that goes on and on and on.. Then again, there are servers where base hunting is against the rules, so play those?

The Russian: I think you got the wrong end of the stick on this one too. Talking about Russian servers doesn't even make sense but here goes... Firstly, it doesn't matter where a server is located, you can still play it and have a good game, so long as your ping is good enough. You can sort the server list by ping, so there should be no reason why you are choosing a server that does not have a good ping. Secondly, there are only a few factions in the game, and seeing as it's EAST vs WEST, one or two of the factions are Russian speaking.... This doesn't mean you are playing on a Russian server, it means you are playing on the Russian team. All the equipment is Russian, and in CTI, sometimes the voice will be Russian. All the text in the game however is always in English if that is your chosen language, so there is nothing stopping you from playing it. You might hear "Bla bla blah Chernagorsk" instead of, "Enemies spotted near Chernagorsk" but you can still see what is going on in text, and it doesn't stop you from playing a good game and winning.

The Voices: The voices ARE talented voice actors, there is no robot voice. The only thing that sounds weird is the way it chops up the words, but that is just the way the game works, it is nothing to do with the voice actors. The voice actor recorded a huge bunch of numbers, and then a huge bunch of locations, and then a huge bunch of objects and descriptions. So when you see a tank at 50 metres to the north, the game can put the right words together to say "Tank spotted, 50 meters, north." It sounds a bit weird but there is no alternative. If a voice actor had to record every single possibility of thing you could see and distance, there would be about a billion lines of dialogue. The voice actors did fine, and the game is doing the right thing, it just wasn't very tight in the original release. Get Operation Arrowhead and it is improved. And if that's no good, then wait for some technology to improve that kind of thing, or again, play Battlefield instead.

There are things I would like to see improve with the game, but come on... at least make them sensible. And On Topic: Thanks for the link :p

Last edited: 19 Aug 2011
  8. Canon

Canon Reformed

Last time I checked, for me to get into a prone position in reality it was a complex combination of instructions from my brain and feedback from my muscles and senses. NOT pressing 'Z'.

9. rogerrabbits

10. Canon

Canon Reformed

11. rogerrabbits

That video was pretty amazing.

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The problem I have with Arma II is not the realism aspect - that's why I was attracted to it in the first place. It's the fact that you tend to spawn in a deserted base with no clue as to wtf is going on, where your teammates are, how to achieve your objectives and fulfil your role. That is not realistic. That is lazy game design.

For all it's myriad of faults, even Operation Flashpoint: DR did a better job of immersing you in the game world.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Some of the big missions like Warfare, Evolution etc are a bit like that if the servers aren't full. Personally I am not a big fan of the huge traditional missions. I prefer to play the smaller community made missions. Unfortunately not that many public servers play these - they are mostly on the private servers. It's easy enough to join a squad though - there are plenty of them around looking for members and they are not all uber-realism squads!

One of the many things I love about this game is there is endless scope for any type of mission. Also, if you don't like what you see, you can get in there and make one yourself. Which is exactly what I do!

14. Wira

Wira Spoderman

exactly the same experience for me, they really need to update their interface.

15. rogerrabbits

That is just so wrong :(

What you are talking about there is not even made by the company who made Arma 2 at all.

Arma 2 is basically just a framework for wargames. With the game you get a single player campaign and some single player missions, a gigantic map to play on (basically an entire country), and then a really powerful editor so that people can make their own missions and share them with friends or run their own servers. That is main feature of Arma.

If you joined a Team Deathmatch server then it would have been different and you would know what to do. It's just two teams spawning at either side of a town and killing each other. You can also just make a scenario and play it by yourself or host a server and play it with other people. Find a part of the map you want to play in, put down some enemies and a tank or two, and then have you spawn on the other side of a hill, and you have a mission. In that case, it's up to you to either type in the mission briefing what to do, or to tell the people who join what to do.

What you most likely joined, is some kind of warfare mod like Capture the Island. Again this wasn't in the original game. It's a mod made by some guy called Benny (and there is another version) that puts capture points in every town on the map, and then splits everyone in to two teams, each have their own base and you have to beat the other team by blowing up their base or capturing all the towns. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever played, and it's the only thing I do in Arma 2.

I agree that it's totally obscure at first, I didn't know what was going on either. But that's not Bohemia Interactive's fault. They have made a 'game' that is FAR more complex than most games out there, and their design is incredible. If anything, it's the modders and server hosts who should put some guides on what to do, but you can also just find this out for yourself by looking on the official forum. A lot of them provide you with a teamspeak channel you can join and ask questions on. Personally I just played and asked a few questions and figured it out myself. It's not hard to work out, and once you know, you can play that same kind of scenario over and over. There are only several different scenarios to choose from so it's not hard.

Like I said before, there are some improvements I would like to see to the Arma series, but you've got to at least criticise the right stuff. They have provided a lot of training missions and there is the forum which is packed with information. It's not very fair to criticise them for not knowing what to do when you have all that at your disposal.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

As rogerrabbits said, there are plenty of guides out there. Here is a link to the user missions official forum thread. Here you will find discussions on all the big boys like warfare, evolution and domination as well as the vast amount of missions made by the rest of the community!!

Each mission usually has it's own thread in the sub-forum - best to search first before you ask a question.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

This is just silly. The voice thing in ARMA 2 doesn't just have to say 4 lines in a linear scripted mission, it has to give you accurate info in real time. No matter how talented the voice acting is it will sound chopped up because it is chopped up so that the game can put sentences together as needed.

If you want to hear the proper voice acting go play the singleplayer campaigns.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

And, after a while you stop noticing anyway. It is one of those things that is immediately noticeable but then quickly forgettable. Most people I know have it turned off anyway.

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

@ rogerrabbits

They were Russian run servers full at idiots team killing and blowing up everything in own base. They were 1 team vs AI Evo and Domination Coop servers not CTI. And they were the only servers at the time that had a decent ping as well as having more than 6 people playing on them. I know the difference between a russian run server and just playing on a team using russian soldiers and equipment, but thanks for insulting my intelligence anyway.

@ DragunovHUN

I realise arma can't use long fluid sentences for delivering info but singleplayer scripted acting is awful. Even though its read out as proper sentences, conversations are jerky and delivered without any sense of context or emotion. Thats what I meant by getting talent in for future games. It was only a minor quibble i'm not really that bothered as SP is not that great.

20. rogerrabbits

Can you blame me after looking at the gripes in this thread?

As for your issue with that crappy server, I sympathise a 'little bit' seeing as the servers are a bit thin some days, but come on... when I sort it by ping there's at least 20 or more populated servers with green pings to choose from. And if not, why not make your own? I used to host my own games all the time and that's when I used to have 75Kb/s upload.

You make it sound like the game is full of morons, but it's just nothing like that at all, especially compared to other FPS's. Unlike other games, if you do stupid stuff you get banned from the server, and it bans your entire profile. You can even be IP banned.

I've been playing the game regularly for over a year, and in all that time, I can think of only a couple of occasions when people team killed deliberately, and they didn't last long.