1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

1500th reply :D
    Looking forward to my frames :thumb:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

1500 replies wowzers :D.

Just cut the laminating sheet to size, I ended up just cutting required size & rolling it up instead of individual sheets works better & is far easier to install, placed all the lighting in the hdd fan holders & can say already it works perfect but the front fan doesn't look good to me, waaaay too shiny & bright which spoils the look of the copper alu panel so I'll either use a different fan or paint the first 1 as even with the light switched off it's just too much with it being plastic chrome just for the first one though but I suppose I could add a dense mesh behind the grill but I do think a different fan is in order really the uv light alone looks good & it's very subtle in the front.

Yeah I think I'll paint the one which is too much bling for the front possibly with the copper paint not sure yet.

3. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

That's coming along very nicely, brilliant work!

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb:.

I was told I was noisy by my bro last night so I left it, would have got quite a lot done but I sure don't want to be a PITA neighbor from hell :hehe: so I thought on about buying a sound measuring device so I could find out if I am audible when I do the loudest tasks like drilling or scroll sawing stainless steel & then I realised we have an old video camera :idea:.

So I'll set it to record on my window ledge with the window wide open, if anywhere it will be audible it will be there & set it to record & do the noisiest tasks I can think of to find out if I am a PITA for neighbors :D, if I am then I either need to sort my body clock out which will take months to change when my energy & focus levels peak or make key spots sound proofed so I can mod whenever I feel like it & not be a nuisance to anyone :) I think if there were a problem people would let me know if there were but they might be being too polite which would be bad as they'll be building a secret bundle of rage waiting to be unleashed on me at a random time :lol: all I know is if you have a problem with someone or something & you know they aren't a psycho it's best to get it out early as it will clear the air nicely rather than let it get you uber pissy inside :D.

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Soooo.... the fact that the house next door has changed owners 5 times since you started StealthLow didn't mean anything to you? ;)

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol::p

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oooh very awesome stuff, I just went to finish off a stainless steel sheet part on the scroll saw & it is indeed very noisy for the operator but upstairs with my window open the cam picked up on a neighbor speaking quietly on a phone & a dog randomly yapping many houses down the street but didn't pick up on any noise from the scroll saw so I'd say I'm good to mod whenever just as I thought, I really should have done this test ages ago & I'd have completed this a long time ago :duh: been having to mod around other peoples schedules which is a pretty huge part of why this has been taking me so long to do so it's awesome to have the piece of mind knowing it won't be bothering anyone nearby & to be honest I'd happily start up another project & get properly stuck in & have it done fast now I know :clap::D.

Anyway I can scroll saw anything whenever I want now I've run the tests & I don't have anything louder than the scroll saw cutting stainless steel other than the air compressor tools which I very rarely use anyway, main thing I use the air compressor for is mega dusting :D which is quiet :).

But a couple more workshop tests to do like drilling, jigsawing thick materials, high pitched file work & anything else I think might be noisy, if I can do that without noise then wooooo hoooooo :rock::D.

I just cut a 50mm circle in 0.5mm stainless steel & it just isn't fun to do & took 6 minutes to do but requires extreme hand control to stop it jumping around & cut where I want to so I doubt I'll choose it ever again, too damn tough, I said previously it wasn't so bad but nah BS I'd dread to know how difficult it is with much thicker material if it's that tough at 0.5mm :eeek::lol:.

If I ever do want some stainless steel parts doing I'll have to approach pro fabricators who have the right machines as it's just too much for my tools :D.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2011
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Just run grinding, drilling, jigsawing & high pitched file work & no noise at all, just yapping dogs :D brilliant this means I could get this completed this week as long as I don't find I need any more bits :).

Also I'm looking for the drivers for the camcorder so I can put the occasional video together :) not high def but it seems to do ok quality :).

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Silence, maybe it doesn't want to pick sound up because of the nature of this product.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I was going to do a load last night but I left it too late, it's weird if I go over to start at about 7 to 9 pm it doesn't feel like I'm a freak as I don't care when I'm stuck into it but if I go over at 1 or 2 am I kinda do :lol:.

I installed the optical drive to guage the needed depth of the tray cover & eject button, got the measurements designed & printed the covers then I thought I'd power up the drive to make sure the tray pops out nicely & it didn't :hehe: better for it to be tight than a big gap :), so just filed the opening a tiny bit & it's sorted now & just took precise measurements again & I'll do a new design for it.

Some of the finishing touches of metal pieces I'll need to pre brush/polish the sheet before cutting else theres no way I'll be able to do them once cut with them being fiddly tiny pieces, I also scrapped the mirror stainless steel ssd cover piece it's just way too tough to work without bending it so I'll swap that for highly polished alu, it's just a top cover for the ssd which has a circle cut out & I'm adding a 50mm brushed copper/alu yin yang piece inside the circle, should be nice :).

Also working on replacing the stickers on the fans with copper/alu pieces & something for the psu where the sticker used to be.

11. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

That acrylic is looking sweeeeeet :thumb:

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks goooooood.:D You may get around to building a case from layers faster than me. :(

13. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I haven't chimed in as I've been watching the development of the new fan holders. To be honest, at first I had my doubts and didn't like the look, but with them all sanded flush and getting polished, I think they are turning out nicely. I'm also surprised to see that now the world knows what Wayne looks like. We are chatting with an actual, real person. After all of this work, I was kind of expecting a half crazed, blood-shot eyed person instead. :D

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Graham, did that dry as well :) did it first time around wet & gunk worked it's way between the pieces so went dry this time & no powder inbetween the sheets :).

:D Cheers Cheaps, I'm such an un-busy person so have a lot of spare time & even more spare time since I often stay up for 2 days straight :lol:.
    I love cutting acrylic with the scroll saw, so easy compared to metal but need to master drillng the stuff without cracking it :D, so might do an all acrylic build sometime soonish :thumb:.

:hehe: Cheers Gary :)
    Was you expecting something like this :D.
    [​IMG]

Update

Installed the optical drive to gauge what depth is needed for the tray cover = 5mm :) & same for the eject button but an extra piece on top so it's pushable so decided on a 3mm piece of alu & a mix of 2mm copper & 2mm alu for a tray cover, figured I should power it up to make sure the tray can eject :D it couldn't but only needed a tiny bit of filing to let it work which required me to tweak my design a little again.

OK the good stuff :D.

I pre brushed the panels & then masked them up because some of the pieces would be impossible to brush once they are cut (many tiny pieces), then printed, cut up & stuck my designs on with prit stick :D it really works excellent, far nicer more accurate & faster method than marking manually saves me many hours so I'll do this all the time now, putting this student version of sketchup to good use :).

So here's the scraps from what I done.
    [​IMG]

And here you can see fan label covers for front & back, a plate I did for the psu side where the label used to be, eject button bits, optical tray cover which needs a little filing so the middle fits inside the copper one & lastly the ssd cover with yin yang alu/copper placed inside the circle :) I didn't think I'd get much use out of the scroll saw for the rest of this project but I guess I couldn't resist :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ssd cover was going to be mirror polished stainless steel but I gave up trying to cut it well so tried polishing some alu sheet but wasn't anywhere near as good as the steel so brushed it instead & I'll paint that piece matt black (has to be a different look to the alu/copper & black should be sweet :D could get some brass but then I'd end up adding brass trim bits all over the place also :D), bear in mind the bits you can see here are the rough ugly side :D the nice side should pretty sweet :).

---------
    It's a big task but I'm gonna try to get this finished this weekend :D.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  15. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Have you tried using a thin cutting disc on a grinder to cut the stainless, then file it down after?

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Got an angle grinder but I'm an absolute newb at using it, tried it once couldn't see what I was cutting so never bothered with it again, not got a dremel currently.

I tried placing the yin yang in so the brush finish goes against each other & makes it look like 2 different materials when viewing from different angles so can skip paint :).

Stainless steel I'll avoid completely from now on, my tools aren't up for the toughness, to be honest I have no idea how I managed cutting that floor panel, the scroll saw tickles it :lol: but I really mucked up on this piece as I could have got the external cuts done first but I cut the circle out first so this is why I can't cut it well on the scroll saw, flicks it out of shape easily, suppose I could cut a new one should be easier than sorting the botched one :D.

17. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Ya, stainless is a pain in the butt!!! I would use a pneumatic die grinder with a fiber cut off wheel. That way you see you are cutting on the line. Stainless can take alot of heat, so when cutting you can hold with your bare hands. Triphane was mainly all Stainless Steel 304 grade, it took forever to get that simple mod done, ugh!!! The metal was free and I wanted a challenge.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Yeah it's a very different challenge to alu or any other materials I've tried, polishes up fantastic though, this is why I went for only 0.5mm as I didn't know what I'd be in for :D.

Turns out I didn't need to try the grinder & just popped a piece of bandsaw in & it made it incredibly easier & waaaay faster, ramped it up to nearly half speed which is a crazy blur, not tried it out on full speed :eeek::D very glad I bought a bandsaw blade to chop into pieces now, it really shown that steel who's boss :D.

I'll carry on & get as much done as I can tonight so a daft O`Clock update probably :D needs to be done if I'm to get this finished by Monday :D.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D No cats or dogs for this log, just this little curious guy sat watching with all the shiny stuff about :D.
    [​IMG]

Got the stainless steel cut, I ended up using 1 of the band saw sections in the scroll saw which changed a half hour job into a minute :) & this is after a coat of metal lacquer on all these bits.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The corsair force 3 120GB which I bought the other day, need some double sided tape though to make it semi permanent & it still fits in the case :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Optical eject button made with 5mm opal frosted acrylic which I'm kinda hoping will catch optical activity light & create a slight glow around the 2mm copper top.
    [​IMG]

Replacement for the psu sticker.
    [​IMG]

Covers for the labels on the backs of the fans.
    [​IMG]

Pattern covers for the front of the fans.
    [​IMG]

Optical tray cover & friends :D.
    [​IMG]

Randoms :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

List of things to do in order of which I'll tackle first :) on the final steps woooooo I could dance like a freak with or without music :D.

Work out exactly where I want the cables to be & add extra mounting holes to mobo panel
    molex cable
    Fix led strips cables from molex to a fan adaptor or to work with the fan cable = half done
    Lay gap filling material next to all faint gaps where there will be light.
    Make a block that helps keep the light control box stay in place next to psu.
    Fix light strips to curve bars.
    Install hardware :).

Get a pile of junk food & beer & get that 30lbs back or not I'm liking the extra energy levels I have with that gone :D.

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Those fans look insane. I really hope the added weight doesn't make them spin unbalanced.