1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

thanks. i have no games for the pc :eeek:

i tend to buy games for the xbox, but after my recent pc build (which was a few months ago) i made sure i can play pc games, and want to play BF3 on the pc.

So i have no experience with pc games or mumble or friends list.

trying to get my self setup for it all.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Add me on Steam once you get a few things installed, will walk you through it if needs be :)

I'm sorry to all in this thread, but there really is far too much knee-jerk reactionary comments on how things "will work" when you haven't tried the system and assume it will not work because it's "not the norm"...

I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone here with this now.

The server Browser runs very smoothly and the loading times are fantastic. Even I expected them to be pants, but with the lack of logo screens and title screens, it's great. Again, we all get to find out how it runs in September. Can we not just wait until then istead of assuming the worst?

MiT likes this.
  3. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

:clap:
    thank you very much kind sir
    +rep for your help

i guess i better sign up to steam then

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

MiT, check your Private Messages.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Surely an in game browser could run very smoothly, and surely load times could be just as short?

What gets me is that none of the advantages seem to be unique to the server browser being separate, yet most of the first hand reports seem to cite these aspects as ways to rationalize the switch. When you look strictly at the differences between using a different window to browse serves as opposed to using an in game menu there seems to be no point.

6. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Battlelog worked OK. Don't worry! I did find it annoying how origin seemed to take longer to start up than the game itself, but hopefully that will be sorted by release.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im sure many people here remember how much fail BFBC2's server browser was on release? and how long we had to wait to get it fixed?

with BF3's system, DICE can choose to fix whenever they like, no need to wait to put into the next game patch. hopefully fixes will come thick and fast, considering DICE's track record.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd prefer a in game server browser instead of a memory hungry web browser but whateves, I'll probably only be playing on one server anyways

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed using Battlelog during the Alpha. Games always fired up for me very quickly and whilst I was one of those where the game froze a lot and had to kill the game exe, it was always super quick to get back into a game which I originally joined with a friend via Battlelog.

Stats seemed to sync pretty quickly too (the ones that were active during the Alpha anyways) and I don't mind the social element either. If it means I can play with the people I want to easier then that's good enough for me :)

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I pre-ordered on Origin. I am really excited to finally play this game and I'm looking forward to the beta. Personally I think Origin is fine. It's responsive, easy to use, and it doesn't shove anything in my face that I don't want to see. I really think all of this "controversy" surrounding the game is nothing more than people bitching and moaning about stuff for the sake of bitching and moaning.

There's definitely nothing wrong with people who just plain don't want another digital distributor on their computer since Steam works great and they likely have all of their other games and friends/community already on there. It's the notion that EA is somehow evil or underhanded for wanting their own platform. That their ripping off their customers or treating them like dirt for requiring Origin. It's an annoyance. One that, if the option were available, I would certainly avoid. That said, the service works fine and I even managed to find the copy of Red Alert 3: Uprising on there that I forgot I had.

I would bet that if the same people belly aching about Origin actually installed it and used it they would actually think it's ok (though they would never admit it). There are a lot of outlets on the internet like Kotaku and Destructoid that drum up controversy for the sake generating hits. Towing the "EA is evil" line is a perfect way for them to do just that. All they have to do is write an inflammatory headline with some out-of-context piece of unverified information and people jump on it like flies on ****. You didn't see these same outlets running "Valve is evil" stories for all of the retail games that require a Steam install such as Fallout: New Vegas.

Perfect example is an article Destructoid ran the other day about the lack of split-screen co-op for the console versions. It was a total attempt at another hit piece against EA that took only one factoid from an interview to run as their headline but also left out some other great information such as the fact that there are something like 20+ hours of unique co-op missions that don't just recycle the SP missions with two people playing instead of one. It's a perfect example of how one of those gaming blogs masquerading as a news source will cherry pick whatever information that fits their narrative, no matter how weak, minor or inconsequential it may be, and run it as a headline to get people riled up.

tl;dr version: I'll be playing the crap out of BF3 when it comes out and having blast, not sitting around stewing over my own misguided sense of entitlement:thumb:

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

My beef with Origin is not the software, but the fact they are trying to limit the distribution channels so that they can reduce retail competition and control the pricing. If it was also available to buy on other distribution channels then I wouldn't have a problem. Ok, it is still possible to buy a physical copy from places like Amazon, but I bet you that this will not be the case much longer.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

BF3 is available to buy on other digital distribution channels, you only have to look at http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/bf3-digital-retailers. It's also available to purchase a physical copy from all normal retail outlets. If EA are really trying to limit distribution channels by using Origin then they're not doing a very good job at it currently.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Good interview with Karl Magnus Troedsson (audio with screenie)

Bede likes this.
  14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wooohooo, score based co-op.

Bit-tech BF3 co-op league? :D

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I simply cannot stop watching the Caspian Border video....

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You and me both matey! Whats your favourite part? I like the bit when they are in the 4x4 and drive over the hill, only to see a whole armada of tanks, cars and quads, and then a chopper swoops in low and races through the trees!

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

The bomb disposal robot.

18. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

If you pause the video right when the soldier gets stabbed you can see through his sunglasses that his eyes are rolling up into the back of his head. That's.... pretty disturbing... actually.

You can see where the player shoots the guy on the rock then turns and shoots the guy on the turret that they are the same dudes that are in his squad in the other parts of the video.

The 3rd person heli strafe and the flying formation of jets got me super excited.

19. DaveBC

DaveBC What's a Dremel?

Has anyone seen this article?
    http://www.modmywhat.com/article/Ov...-the-Battlefield-3-booth-at-GamesCom-2011/858

Apparently a few PC's are fried at the gamescon booth and the author claims it might be due to the game not being optimized. Yes the game probably isn't fully optimized since it is still a work in progress but I would suspect the PC's are dieing because of poor cooling and they are running under load all day everyday!

20. Kurze

Kurze What's a Dremel?

I had that pointed out to me the other day. Took me 5 goes before I managed to see it myself, the attention to detail is indeed wonderfully disturbing.

Very intrigued by the comments regarding the co-op scoring. Sounds like it could be amazing.