1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The attention to detail on those fans is amazing Wayne.

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I am so amazed by this worklog that there is nothing left to say except from this : :jawdrop:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers Nutman, Shouldn't be unbalanced I hope :D, all same size & placed directly in the middle & that's mostly why I put the copper ones down first with it being heavier so the weight should be distributed nicely I'm more worried about them staying in place :D they have been curing over night but they popped off easily so I just cleaned them up & stuck them on with a epoxy resin so currently waiting for that to set :).

:D Cheers Jase :thumb:.

Thanks Alex :) honestly the ssd cover looks sweet in it's place & should look even sweeter when I put the mirror floor back in :D.

Flipped the case on it's back & stuck the eject button & optical tray in place :) something that needs to be done while it's in the case so it aligns properly, should have got that part done last night really if I want this done by the end of today, I won't be able to do anything on the case until the tray & eject eject button have set & since it's 4pm now I think it's gonna be a late night for me & I'll be quite amazed if I do get this finished today :D.

4. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

GO GO GO :D

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers mate I found 1 of the fans corner tabs broke so I got some epoxy resin on it & put a weight on it, should fix it :).

Ejecting working correctly :) had a tiny bit more filing to be done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nutman likes this.
  6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

That is looking so dam good Wayne...surely you must be close to finishing it now.

7. Kurze

Kurze What's a Dremel?

This is looking absolutely astounding. Those fan mods alone are fantastic, can't wait to see the finished article. Though judging by the length of this project you probably can't wait to see it finished either!

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Wayne that looks amazing!

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Really. What's left to say Wayne? Even the very first update was totally amazing to me, it's at heart attack level now.

10. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

So what gonna be on the hardware modding list?

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Jeff :thumb: it is very very close to finished I'm still aiming to have it all done today or the early hours tomorrow :D, the most tricky bit left which isn't tricky is working out where I want the extra cable holders & then drilling & tapping & placing helicoils in them.

:D Cheers Razer :thumb:.

:hehe: Cheers mate :).

I haven't really thought about modding any hardware other than the cover for the ssd & the psu cables but warranty is still intact on both :D, said laters to the warranty on the fans though :D, modded hardware fetches a bad price when it comes to upgrading so is something I rely on heavily to soften the blow of cost for new tech :D.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I want to make babies with that thing.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol:

I found again the acrylic adhesive is ONLY for acrylic :hehe::duh: so had to re-stick the alu discs on the backs of the fans again.

I marked & drilled, tapped & added helicoils for the copper wire holders & the the joints where the extention is I will make a bar to act as a clamp to hold the connector to the mobo panel.

Currently waiting for the epoxy resin to set well but I'm still determined to get this done tonight :lol:.

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

You madman!

Here, have some rep. :thumb:

15. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Awesome Wayne. :thumb: The drive cover looks great, and those three photos? Very tasty.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Cheers Nutman :thumb:.

:D Thank you Attila :).

Last fabrication update I think :D depends on how the sata data cables are if they need a clamp piece adding to keep them tidy or not.

So I added all the required mounting holes to the mobo tray to support the cable holders.
    [​IMG]

I also decided to make a cable clamp holder also, I added the mounting holes for this before making the part & took the cable to be clamped & took measurements off it with the digital callipers & got to it on sketchup to design & print the needed piece complete with cut/bend lines & excess length so it could be trimmed down & rounded, couldn't be bothered setting up my basic bending brake & just did a quick setup with plywood & the vice & manual pressing which is easily doable when material isn't very wide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Held the piece where I wanted the piece to be & marked where the mounting holes are & then drilled the holes in the new piece, needed an accurate drilling with me not being able to clamp this down so the drill press came in handy as it sometimes does :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done for this piece & all the mounting holes & that's all for the fabrication of this project, now it's just the power/hdd activity switch wiring & a molex cable & installing the lighting :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So might not have completed the project yet thanks to me using the wrong adhesive for quite a few parts & having to re-stick them with epoxy resin but all the challenging stuff & slightly challenging stuff is done I'd say :D. Hmmm actually I have a mass of cabling to pretty up :lol::duh: & it has to be done with windows being on both sides :lol: it's the sata data cables I'm unsure about looking tidy but if they are a nightmare I could make a couple of clamps like I did for the 24 pin extension.

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

outstanding :D you're getting crazy with the Hell saw I see. :p (btw love the pict of Marty lol) I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting for you wiring as well. This has really turned into a masterpiece my friend.

18. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Looking more and more amazing as this progresses :D. And very shiny :eek:

19. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

When will this one go into production? ;)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Yea that scroll saw is such an awesome cutting tool :D thank you Loose :).

For the wire tidying I'm currently only planning on the ? clips & the clamp bit I made so depends on how messy it all is from the sata data cables if I make something else, I could make pretty simple tasty casing for it all which removes as 1 piece for access to the cables but with it being nice sleeving I'd need to add some windows for the casing :lol: & I think I'm crazy enough to do that now I've seen it in my mind :D this could extend the log for another week or 2, you guys with your expecting something more & then me thinking something more :wallbash::lol::D the finish line just got pulled further into the distance (if I do go for it ;)) :lol: if I don't go for it I could be installing hardware today ;), decisions :waah::lol:.

:D Thanks Tech_Jakl :).

If I had the money to form a little factory right after completing this :lol::D.

Done the power swtich hdd activity cable & right this moment making the molex cable which is almost done but I do still need some good strong double sided tape, the tape of the gawds I have doesn't seem to be good at holding stuff upside down so need something stronger I think.