1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Why do console kiddies play driving games using external view? I just don't get it. I don't want to see the character I'm playing, I want to be the character. Can you imagine Mirror's Edge in 3rd person?

2. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Is it just me that thinks the graphics look poor?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

No it's me too. It must be a console game eh?

4. DrugCrazed

DrugCrazed What's a Dremel?

[insert comment about score being wholly inaccurate here]

Well, leaving aside that scores mean nothing to anyone but PR reps, you and Tom Francis have done a great job in making me feel happy that I did preorder it. Plus I got TF2 items, which is totally the upside of everything.

5. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

20 hours, really? But developers say they can't make 8+ hour games anymore and people don't want to play games that take longer than that. <sarcasm hat off>

I seriously was excited when I saw 20 hours of gameplay and then the 90% was icing on the cake. I wasn't interested in buying this game till now. :)

6. altdoom

altdoom What's a Dremel?

Seeing this get a good review gives me hope for Thief 4.

7. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Nice review, love the intro paragraph.

Still waiting to hear from Joe, but I think it's safe to say I will be getting this now, just need to find the best deal.

Richard/Joe,

Any more info on the augmented edition, do you think it's worth it? Which version did you play?

Cheers

8. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I play GT5 and Forza 3 with hood view and I play PC racing sims in hood view.

9. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

"Any more info on the augmented edition, do you think it's worth it? Which version did you play?"

Just the core game, not the extra Tong-focused mission. Nothing in the special editions interests me at all, TBH, but the bonus credits would actually be a bit of a detriment - they'd buy you two extra augmentations very early on, and you'll never be particularly short of money if you do the side-quests.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've been so enthusiastic about this game. The "play through diaries" done by PC Gamer served only to get me wanting it more...

...and yet, somehow, oddly, this review makes me nervous.

Sure, Deus Ex wasn't perfect (I think many of the imperfections people moan about now were limitations of the engine used or technology at the time) but I really, really don't want 3rd person cover mechanics. They're horrible; suddenly my character can see round a hairpin bend of a doorway down a corridor, without sticking his head out. At least the vision aug in Deus Ex let you see through walls for a reason...

Also very disappointed that they felt the need to stagger the release across the globe. Worldwide releases do work - very well - why do so few publishers utilise them? :(

11. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

That's true, though it's less of a deal than you'd think (and I expected going in). Using in-fiction mechanics - assorted augs - he can also spot those people on a map, visualise their thought processes and see where they're looking. Being able to magically squint round a corridor isn't that jarring.

12. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Nice honest review. A lot better than the junk that someones posted on the gametrailers website

Can't wait to play this :)

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I suppose they could have got advanced with the sound so you listen to their steps/breathing/sneezing/farting/burping etc why the heck do characters not fart or do any other random noises humans make in games :lol: how awesome would that be if on a stealth level there was a chance you could let rip a large one & you had to run & hide from the enemies :D wonder if game devs will ever think about adding random realism like that, it would rock & be quite hilarious imo :D.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

No it wouldn't.

15. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Just wait till we get our smell-o-vision and they'll be implementing the farting idea pronto.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I refuse to read the review, as I'm trying to keep this as unspoilt as possible...

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'll be giving my thoughts later, once I've played it. Richard, as far as I know, played the Standard Edition.

We'll be having Deus Ex: HR writer James Swallow on the podcast this Friday, by the way. Any questions you want answered can be tweeted at us to @bit_gamer, or sent to us at Podcast@custompc.co.uk with QUESTION in the subject line.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Well it would add some much needed random game action to any game I think which would be good for replayability, games need a little randomness else you work out a boring pattern which lets you fly though a game & this method of gameplay gets boring, maybe not a fart or whatever but maybe the occasional trip up which makes enough noise to alert the guards but for me a squeeky fart would be crazy funny in a serious toned game that makes you have to change tactics for on the ball quick thinking.

Me too I just checked out the score & that was good enough for me :) if it would have scored poorly I'd have read the review to see why :D.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Snap :p

20. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

How about the Direct x 11 support?

Tags: Add Tags