1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling I5 2500K Fan Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slackda, 24 Aug 2011.

1. slackda

slackda Is aiming for a Headshot!

Now my rig is being packed up and sent to the fleabay

Hopefully going to pick one of these bad boys up, now not sure what cooler to get, have about £25 to spend and going for M-ATX case so its going to need to fit in there.....

Also looking at SSD 60GB for OS and maybe Battlefield 3 (when it arrives :D), is it worth getting 120 instead or stick to the 60GB, as im a complete SSD Noob, whats a good price point for a 60GB and is there anythign to avoid?

cheers

slack

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Crucial M4 is a really safe bet for 128gb. It's about £150 everywhere. The Corsair Force series 3 can be found cheap for 120gb at around £130. The M4 is good as there are supposedly some issues with new sandforce drives resulting in random hangs and bsod. The m4 being not a sandforce drive that is. £80 for a 6ogb is fair new.

As for the 2500k, it's happy with quite low end cooling options isn't it? Maybe just an arctic freezer pro or gelid tranquilo.

slackda likes this.
  3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hey matey!

Ok, well for £25 you can get the Gelid Tranquilo which is currently the in vogue CPU cooler for the 2500k. Things like the Thermaltake Frio will probably be overkill. Its not too big either, so should fit in the MATX case you are after (which is what, by the way?)

SSD wise, you have three main contenders, Crucial, with their M4 series, Intel, and 'everyone else' with variations of the 'Sandforce' series (sandforce is the controller chip inside the SSD). At the moment, very generally, Crucial tend to to be slightly cheaper, whereas Sandforce tend to be slightly faster (having said this, the real world differences will be almost unnoticeable) and Intel slightly more reliable. A 60GB install should be enough for windows, and BF3, and price wise you should be aiming for something a little over £1 per gb

If you were going to go for a 60GB drive I'd suggest you buy a Sandforce, as these are the fastest drives in this price range, as the Crucial get slower, the smaller capacity you go (read up on this if you like) - A OCZ Vertex 2E would be a good choice

If you were going to get a 128GB drive I'd suggest a Crucial M4 as its super quick, and is amongst the cheapest drives at this speed (also, if you have Sata 3 6GBps then thats a bonus) -

There are faster drives, the OCZ Vertex 3 (newest version of Sandforce) retails at £104 for a 60GB and given the real world performance difference you'd see, I can't say I think its worth the extra £45.

slackda likes this.
  4. slackda

slackda Is aiming for a Headshot!

Thanks for the Answer, very interesting.

Not Decided on a Case yet, still ahve some full atx's kicking about that i will use untill i make the decision, gonna have a read around the forums to see whats good/not good air flow access etc, looking for 2 DVD bays, one for hot swap drive and one for DVD, and at least one 3.5 to fit my card reader in.

5. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

I went for the Freezer 7 pro, they're about £12 on amazon right now.
    I should be installing it on my 2500k today so I will let you know how it works out.

/Dante

Edit: Cooler hasn't been delivered today, should be here tomorrow

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011