1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Aug 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Unfortunately hell is still as hot as ever and Homeworld 3 is still not looking likely to happen in the near future. Why? Well...

- Sierra/Vivendi Universal (VU Games) own the rights to the Homeworld Universe as a part of the original publishing deal for Homeworld.
    - Relic Entertainment is the developer of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.
    - Barking Dog is the developer of Homeworld:Cataclysm.
    - Neither Relic Entertainment or Barking Dog (who were bought out by Rockstar Games Canada) are able to make another Homeworld game unless hired to do so by Sierra/VU.
    After the release of Homeworld 2, Relic Entertainment were purchased by publisher THQ, and now exclusively make games for them.
    - The CEO of Relic Entertainment and originator of Homeworld, Alex Garden, has left Relic and THQ to pursue other projects.
    - As THQ do not own the rights to the Homeworld Universe, it is extremely unlikely (read: not going to happen) that Relic will make another Homeworld game (if they even wanted to).
    - It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.

In a nutshell, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see a Homeworld 3.

I'm not going to say it will never happen, as they do have a habit of reviving movies & games years later (see Battlestar Galactica for instance), but I highly doubt that it is going to happen in the very near future.

2. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Casual observers can get off their backsides and learn something about their game for once, and I hope that's not a reason to mark it down in the review. Whatever I knew about Table-Top Warhammer I'd forgotten by the time Dawn of War came around, never bought the first game but got the sequel and Chaos Rising - classics, have to pick up the other one before this on Steam to complete that set.

Will check the price, but it's on the buy list along with Deus Ex.

3. Phalanx

That and the fact that there is no previous canon for Titus, so even the fans of 40k will be learning with the game.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Excellent, thanks!

Oddly, it wouldn't work in Firefox, but did in IE. :confused:

5. Phalanx

Weird. Worked fine in my Firefox.

6. DrugCrazed

DrugCrazed What's a Dremel?

I don't know why, but the combat didn't seem visceral enough for how I imagined it. I let DoW1 get away with it because it was an RTS, but it felt like Darksiders to me without the mechanic theft...

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Demo impressions: will wait for it to be on sale.

The overall package is good. I like what they've done with the anti cover system, seamless shooting to melee and back, and the jet pack, but imo none of it is excellent.

-The melee combat doesn't feel as good to me as God of War did, and that came out years ago.
    -The shooting is functional but so arcadey none of the weapons feel like they have a real kick.
    -The chainsaw kill animations aren't as intense as in Gears of War.
    -Of course the demo was so bare in story elements that I don't care at all from that perspective.

If you absolutely hate cover and must have shooting in your 3rd person action game, then sure, go for this. But I can't help but feel that this game would feel a bit bland for non 40k fans.

8. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

9. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Played the PS3 demo last night.

I think the health leech system needs a bit of work. When I've executed an orc to leech health, a bunch of others are still attacking and it's subtracted all the health I've just leeched in the same time.

The jump pack controls I found were a bit awkward, may be better if the player was facing downwards automatically once he has jumped so it's quicker and easier to target a landing spot.

Gonna fetch the PC demo later, playing with keyboard & mouse could be better, dunno.

10. Phalanx

So the game needs to make it easier for you just because you couldn't clear the area before doing the execution? :p Just no. :)

On the PC that's not a problem. The controls work seemlessly and are spot on. For consoles you could always try turning the sensitivity up to maximum. Or look down as you start your jump, should see you sorted.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I have to say, I enjoyed every minute of the demo (PC, with 360 controller). Both levels. Shooting Orks in the face with a Bolter never gets old. Everything thing feels like it is ****ing something up in a major way. Shooting to melee is seamless, fun, and makes you look like a badass. Basically, I agree with everything in this preview.

My only gripe (and I have yet to see this mentioned anywhere) is how damn boring the melee is in terms of user input. As far as I can tell, the only combos you ever need to remember are:

X, XX, XXX, XXXX
    and
    XY, XXY, XXXY

And with some weapons you don't even get all of them. They all have the same effect as well (i.e. XXXY will always end in an AoE stun attack). It is incredibly boring. I think it all stems from the "stun" mechanic (before you can execute an enemy, they need to be stunned) and how it is mapped to the Y button. Seeing as you only need to stun something before you grab it, it makes no sense to have Y anywhere but the end, otherwise you would stun them (but do less damage with the strike), and then hit them some more before they regain awareness. But the thing is, once smacked upside the face with a chainsword, they stagger anyway, so it would serve no purpose.

And therefore, we get left with an abysmally poor melee meta game. It gets very repetitive, very quickly. I was incredibly bored of pressing the buttons before I even thought the animations would get boring.

If Y was a heavy attack instead, and certain combos would end in a stun, they would have been able to add much more depth to the game (XYXY, XXXYX, YXXXY, etc etc), and had different combos for the different weapons, reflecting the speed, damage etc of each weapon.

You might argue it's not that kind of game, but personally I think they missed an opportunity to make an excellent melee game out of this. To be honest, I have more fun shooting things, thanks to how much it gives the impression that you are seriously ****ing up someone's day. Sure, you get that from melee, but you don't feel like you are actually doing nearly as much. At least shooting takes some skill.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I so wanted to enjoy the demo.

...and didn't.

Something just doesn't feel quite right playing it. A bit like how The Force Unleashed felt wrong to play.

Will keep it in my Wishlist and buy it when it's <£10 in the Steam sales I think.

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

GRAHHHHHH! Why is the demo not available in my region (UK) and when I click the link posted earlier, just comes up with a dead address no matter which browser I use >.<

14. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Not sure about which browsers it works in, didn't work for me in chrome, did in ie

EDIT: Also a silly idea, but I copied the link into the address bar manually to get it to work, didn't click on it

Last edited: 25 Aug 2011
  15. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Tried FF, IE, Chrome and Opera. No dice on any...

Also joined the honour guard thing on the space marine site to get access. I get the code then Steam says I already have the demo in my account, which I definitely do not. Annoyed? Yes!

16. Phalanx

Have you actually checked the Library? Under W.

17. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Man do I feel silly...

Of course I checked the library :p
    Everything I have on Steam is categorised into genre so it'd appear at the bottom of my list regardless. It's not even appearing in the Steam client when I search for it in the store.

18. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

That's because in the UK we are shafted by some stupid agreement so it can't be displayed, only way around it is that link. You have tried copying and pasting into the address bar?

19. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

It's chain SAW old chap.

20. Salisant

Salisant What's a Dremel?

Nope my old mucker, it is indeed chain SWORD...

Tags: Add Tags