1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steve Jobs resigns from Apple

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Aug 2011.

1. Stonerd

Stonerd The monkey's out of the bottle, man

Jobs and apple were never going to find that much sympathy or pity in the Bit-tech forums...
    I cant wait to see apple rot away...(see what I did there?)

I'll get my coat.

2. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This day has been long awaited by many and shall be long remembered

There will be much rejoicing in the streets

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Jonathan Ive should take most the credit for apple's turn around in fortunes. Apple could have come up with the elixir of youth, but if it didn't come in a pretty bottle and packaging no one would buy it.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

+1

5. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

There is one particularly thorny issue surrounding Apple's Mac/Macbook lines - they're popular, so they provide stiff competition for Microsoft products. If Apple starts losing sales on these lines due to quality/originality/design (obviously not on the technology side of things), Microsoft's competition will be considerably reduced. Reduced competition more often than not leads to exploitation of a cornered market - higher prices, reduced quality, etc. As long as people buy Apple stuff, I can sit with a slightly smug expression as the hardware I need stays cheaper and higher quality than they would be otherwise, knowing that Apple customers have been...well, I don't want to say ripped off, but...

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

The resignation of the CEO of the biggest company in the world (by market value) is big news anywhere, especially on the tech websites. In addition to that, Jobs was clearly unusually influential (for a CEO), an influence that is felt by anyone who uses an iPhone / mac daily.

If Ballmer or Michael Dell or Yoon-Woo Lee (CEO @ Samsung - I had to Google that one) resigned, another suit would come and fill their shoes and the impact on the company and products (and probably stock price) would be minimal.

This isn't Apple fanboyism at all. Whether or not you like Apple products or agree with the way he worked, this is simply big news in the world or tech.

7. veato

veato I should be working

I'm surprised at the vitriol for Apple/Jobs. Do you not think every other company whose products you willingly purchase get embroiled in price fixing and patent trolling, etc I seem to remember Intel pulling a fast one with system builders to make sure their CPUs were used and not AMD. How many people berating Apple currently have a Core CPU sat in their rig?

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Ive used MacOS, iPhone and iPad on a daily basis. Not a big fan of either at all.

Jobs going WILL have a huge effect on the company. At one point, no marketing literature, Ad campaign, Posters, Website was launched unless he had seen it and personally approved it. No this company paid people lots of money to come up with these things but it still Jobs personally who approved them.

Whether they have people as dedicated still in the company I don't know. It was Jobs baby, he cared about it more than anyone. Does anyone else as much?

9. rafamel

rafamel What's a Dremel?

Que pena.........afectará en algo a la salida del iphone 5 en españa?

[mod edit]Too bad ......... something to affect the output of the iphone 5 in Spain?[/mod edit]

10. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Guys the guy is retiring because of health problems have a little pity at least. He may not be our favourite person in the technology world but there is no need to rejoice at a mans poor health.

Apple was always going to fall, but I would reserve that day until they fail to invent the next big consumer product. Steve Jobs has quit but all mac fan boyism and general public appeal of Apple products hasn't gone away.

11. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Like some have said, the company its almost around one person, Thanks to this guy the company didnt go bankupt, Steve Jobs took the CEO chair back in 1997 and in 1998 Apple was releasing the iMac, then the iBook (and as you can see started a brand trend there, so noneed to mention the introduction of the iPod) and the G4 Cube, the beautiful 30'' 2560 * 1600 LCD. This single man saved the company and made it what it is now

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Apple has more money in reserve than the US govenrment. That is why Steve Jobs' retirement is such big news. It would be big news if any CEO of a major tech company resigned. Don't let your anti-Apple fanboyism cloud your supposdly informed geeky judgement.

All the petty ridicule aside, would anyone like to clarify exactly why it would be so good if Apple just folded altogether? Or is that asking a bit too much from the crowd-that-is-just-as-elitist-as-the-Apple-fanboys-but-is-too-proud-to-admit-it?

13. blohum

blohum What's a Dremel?

how many kids does he have!?!?

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

huh?

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I bet Apple will become less tight butthole with Jobs gone. They'll still make great hardware but it will be more fun and less surgical. Rainbow colored Macs anyone :lol:

And that's coming from not an Apple fanboy

16. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Cash reserves are nothing. The US takes in $375 billion per month, Apple's $50 billion in savings is a drop in the ocean.

It would never be good if Apple folded all together - but they're fast gaining a massive share of the electronics market. The idea that apple could make a turd and sell it for $100 has never been truer. No one wants a company that is too big - and it's becoming hard for other companies to compete (i.e. HP). (FYI I own many more Apple products than is healthy).

Also, big tech companies CEOs resigning is not normally big news. When Eric Schmidt moved from Google CEO to Chairman (effectively what Jobs has done) there were NOT features on all the news channels about how he helped change the search market.

17. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I understand what he's achieved, but my point is that he personally doesn't come up with, design and market every product. He's given Apple the direction they needed but him changing role won't have the company collapse as some seem to think.

18. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Apple will be fine, the over reaction is just a pitfall of a company having such a strong figurehead and brand like Jobs. The big story to me is the personal one, it's so sad when someone gets ill with cancer, it's a terrible disease that affects so many and nobody is immune. All the technology we have today and all the money Jobs has, but it's nothing against the big C. Very sad.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I would like to thank Bit-Tech this time around for not focusing on Tim Cook sexual orientation as apparently thats all other news groups seem to focus on (bunch of bigots) I think he will do a great job if anything he may do a better job since Steve was stuck on just making the iPod bigger and bigger lol.

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

We have a community here that is a lot more grown up than others but some posters do try to turn it into an immature one.

Tags: Add Tags