1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's been an up & down year for life but for modding it's been goooood, interesting, frustrating but most of all satisfying & fun & that lifts the blues nicely, thanks GNU :D:clap:.

Freshly thought of, designed, printed & cut pieces for the sata data cable casing, now it's time to bend them :D.
    [​IMG]

2. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Cable management is always a pain!! Very clean wrapping, though, I would have tucked them in tighter, like closer together somehow. You should make a copper conduit piece to hidden all the wires. That would look pretty awesome, keep up the good work.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Cleveland216 :) got it all figured out, adjusted 2 of the clips I had spare which hold it all in better & working on the sata data cable tidy case :).

I would have had something pretty sweet to show today but found I have run out of epoxy resin :(:lol: so had to call it a day after searching all over the garage for adhesives.

While I'm out posting KidMods fan bits I'll pop around to B&Q to find a quality strong adhesive, all the bending is done though & all the pieces are brushed, it basically is conduit but fancy conduit :D should look nice & in tune with the theme.

Caught I think my first cut of the mod during making this update :lol: was cutting an extra piece to aid in placing the bits spot on & the blade worn out & broke, turned it off & gave the sheet alu a fast wipe with my hand & it felt bad like I just dug in & slashed myself with a razer or something, looked at my hand & part of the blade had dug itself right into my finger about 8mm in with a couple of mm hanging out with the teeth going in the worse way to pull out :lol: so carefully yanked it out :lol: & cleaned it up, damnit thought I'd get through this unscathed :D but near the begining of this log I dropped a vice on my foot but very luckily just had a very sore foot for a while I'm amazed I didn't bust my foot properly from that :D.

-----------

Got some epoxy resin & posted KidMods fan bits :D now it's time to pick up where I left it :).

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wooo hooo got the epoxy resin, I went for 1 I've used before & has proven it's worth (araldite rapid steel) since there was no JB weld at B&Q lol I almost bought a tube of liquid metal but I figured with such a huge amount of adhesive for only £3 more than the araldite which you get a tiny amount in comparison I figured it wouldn't be as good.

Anyway on with this sata data cable case update, it's a mix of 2mm alu as a 5mm strip with extra ears with mount holes in to attach to the mobo panel which goes from near the bottom of the 2nd level to just below the 8 holes I made for the pass trough's so it bolts on when all the cables are plugged into the mobo & 1mm alu & 1mm copper bent to make a nice cover to hide the horrors of the sata cables :D had to get my bending brake out for these though for the 5mm ends was too much for the weak ply wood & had to use the brake in a conventional & unconventional way to get all the right bends.

Here's what it all looked like after thinking, designing, printing, sticking & cutting & before bending.
    [​IMG]

All laid out waiting to be stuck.
    [​IMG]

A kind of half arsed jig :D it was the middle piece that cut me, simple basic piece like that compared to all the other bits & that cuts me lol :D.
    [​IMG]

Couple more shots of the pieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the extra copper details that I nearly put on the fans but scrapped the idea, they look kinda nice on this piece but undecided if I'll stick them on or not, if I do I'll cut some alu pieces to place on the copper bits too :) kinda looks like some kind of marzipan :lol:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time I finished placing the last couple of pieces with adhesive it had already started setting so had to remove the last 2 & clean off the partly dried adhesive & re stick them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once things had set after 10 minutes I went all around the piece with a razor blade to take off any excess adhesive & took a few shots, it takes about 8 hours for it to fully cure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up next for this is to very carefully brush it as 1 piece & then lacquer it :).

Razer2007 likes this.
  5. robi09

robi09 What's a Dremel?

Look very nice, how you bend the alumnium? :D

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Oh my oh my that is puuuurrdyyy! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Sweet.
    Just plain awesome, love it!

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

That's STUNNING - simply put.
    I'm SO glad you got that good camera - fap fap FAP!

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Oh, I like it better without those "eye"-things on top. Just the bent pieces side by side.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks robi :).
    One of these, had it since my 2nd scratch build & it doesn't get used much but is there for when I need it & sometimes do :), I did try doing it with ply wood in a vice & was doable for 2 of the bends but the 5mm end ones needed something stronger so got my brake to work, had to use it the regular way & an irregular way because of the closeness of the opposing bends so for those bits I just used the break for keeping it clamped while I pushed it with a piece of ply wood :D.

:D Cheers Razer :thumb:.

Thanks KidMod :).

:lol: Thanks Nutman :).

That's 1 vote so far not for the extras :D, it'll make it easier & be done sooner anyway if I keep them plain ;) thanks for the feedback on that mate :).

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

that is just soooooooooooo beautiful.

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

YEAH! I hoped you would do something about those:D And also knew it;)

Taking it up, and up, and up, and up several levels at a time buddy!

13. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Yay :D More shinies :eek:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you jokkos :).

Cheers p0Pe :).

:hehe: cheers mate :).

To install hardware :rock::lol::clap::naughty::jawdrop::blush::dremel::D:eeek:.

15. Razer2007

woooohooo man!

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:rock::D Cheers Razer :thumb:.

Updated the mobo bios to the latest & got all other latest updates ready for a switch over yesterday, then got started at around 8 PM putting hardware in & getting the cable work done & installing win 7 & finally got it running, fully up to date & fully optimized & made a ghost image, took all night to do it all but I'm now typing from Stealthlow right now :D & woooooooo it's really nice & quiet & looks really good running, I took a good few photos of it during the night while I was putting all the hardware inside so I'll get them up in a mo ;), the noisiest part is the GPU, the RGB power cable though I'll need to get a new one, I was slimming it down so I could slip it underneath the hdd platform & I believe I cut an internal cable on it so need a new one so I haven't put the side panels on yet since it needs that last thing sorting but won't be able to get it until next Wednesday, other than that though it's all done & I can finally get stuck into a good game :thumb:.

Still a night with lights & day photo shoot to do on this also :).

17. Razer2007

Now wheres the pics???!! come on, post 'em!

18. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

wow... that sata cable duct looks awesome :)
    congrats

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D

Thanks mate, only problem now is I kind wish I made it so it covers them completely, I just did it so it goes to just below where they pass through, but it's good still :).

Righty oh then :D.

All done except for the RGB lighting which will have to wait, (knackered the power cable for it) but I can finally relax knowing that's the final bit, everything molex or fan related cables is nicely stashed underneath the hdd's :D so with the mass of wires going through the small mouse holes I had to make them bigger because of the switches for the lights on the fans so this pile of shots in bad lighting will be the last picture update until I get the RGB lighting sorted & then I'll put some effort into the photos at day & night, so I'm gonna get the weight back on & enjoy some good games until I can resume this, been feeling starved of some good gaming :D.

32 photos so might have to do 2 posts in at least 2 forums I post at.

Like this under both hdd cages :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old
    [​IMG]

New
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In use finally :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the unique light the fan holders project :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, a little wait for the new RGB light power cable & then final shots, these are just to show it's now in use, mostly crappy shots I know but it's 99.9% complete now yaaaaaay I keep getting random big grins knowing it's in use now :hehe::D.

When I walk into my room I can't even hear it & it's sat right next to my monitor so it's awesomely quiet, just the gpu that I can hear & that is with the side panels off :), :D time I got around to completing alice madness returns at last :D but I'll have to start from the begining again since I'm on a new os install on the super duper corsair force 3 120GB or the Yin Yang 120GB as I'll call it, here is a quick bench I did on the reads, veeeerrrrrry niiiiiiiice :D:rock:.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah the temps are better than air cube to my amazement, was expecting warmer temps but it out does the air cube by a few celcius which had much more air flow but this I really thought about the flow on how to make it work best & I'd call this my first perfect design :eeek::D:rock:.

Forgot to weigh this beast so I'll weigh it when it's done ;).

20. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

magnific work! congratulations