1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Partially upgrading, what can I keep?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjhujh, 26 Aug 2011.

1. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

its been a while since I posted here, but now that I'm thinking I might upgrade a bit to make my system more current I was wondering what components you guys think I might also need to upgrade apart from the obvious CPU/RAM and Mobo...

So currently I will definitely be upgrading...

G0 Q6600, 4gb DDR2 and the ASUS P5K premium mobo

things I will upgrade but am willing to wait a while longer for...

Sparkle GTX 275

Things I'm not sure about...

TRUE120 and my PSU which is the Corsair TX750

I'm, kind of assuming if I want to do any kind of OCing then the TRUE will need to changed anyway... I'm thinking If I only need to change the CPU/RAM/Mobo then I should be able to do the upgrade in between 300-500 pounds depending on how close to the top end I want to go

as always any and all input much appreciated!

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The psu is fine and probably a silly question but what is TRUE?

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

TRUE = ThermalRight Ultra (120) Extreme, only the best CPU cooler ever made :D

You could easily upgrade for £300 if you sell what you are replacing; eg the Q6600, P5K prem and DDR2 should fetch £100 easily as a combo in the FS section.

i5 2500K £160
    Any 1155 mobo for roughly £100
    8GB DDR3 £40

£200 total spending for a kickass upgrade :thumb:

4. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

TRUE still holds its own, but lack of updated mounting hardware (and cheaper alternatives) gave it a bit of a knock over the last couple of years... but I'm still rocking my TRUE and will be for a long time :)

6. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Looks like your still rocking the TRUE although a swanky pants copper one, how does it hold up? edit: looks like you posted a reply while I was typing...

Would you say the smart money is going for an i5 and over clocking the stockings off it then? I mean on a bang/buck situation?

I am really out of date with my knowledge I kind of stuck my head in the sand after the Q6600 build as I kept wanting to swap things out, so going to need to do a lot of reading I think!

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah the TRUE is still a monster, but the copper one weighs 2KG which put a lot of people off lol :D I love it and have decided I want to keep it because I love benchmarking and need the cooling headroom - it eats 4GHz for breakfast :)

As for bang4buck, the i5 2500K is the most popular choice because it's a great CPU and overclocks really easily (and usually very well, 4.5GHz pretty much guaranteed). The next step up is the i7 2600K, and the main difference between the two is hyperthreading, meaning you get 2 threads per core, so it's essentially an octa-core CPU even though it has only four physical cores; same as my 920, but faster and more refined. Most people don't feel the requirement for so many "cores" so they settle for the 2500K with its four cores.

Reading is a good place to start, and there's plenty knowledge on this forum so read around and ask questions as you go; you'll pick it up quickly I'm sure. :thumb:

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

PSU is absolutely good, I actually have one myself.

So you're looking at basically the usual mobo/CPU/RAM like you mentionned, though personally I would actually start by slapping a new GPU in there first since the base system is still entirely usable (unless you can upgrade everything at once then go for it).

9. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

The only reason I have one is that I won it in a compo on here, which I felt a little guilty about seeing as it was my first ever visit to Bit-tech...

I was just looking through Custom PC and was just thinking maybe I could change the GFX first and see how it performs.