1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think it may simply be the stewards recognising that it takes two cars to cause a collision which, if so, is an stance I'd like to see them take more often. Yes Maldonado was at fault but it can't be denied that in the situation Lewis could have probably taken more avoiding action.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Like? Mind reading ? Telepathic control ?

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No, they're called brakes. You apply them and your car slows down.

4. faugusztin

And please explain me how could Hamilton know that there is going to be some Maldonaldo guy going through his path in Eau Rouge ? Good luck next time someone goes in your lane on road from the blind angle.

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

It looked to me like Hamilton moved into him a little as he moved into Hamilton, mostly Maldonados fault, but Hamilton could possibly have done more to prevent it.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Unless Hamilton was driving with blinkers on then he would have known that Maldonado had moved out to go alongside. In fact Hamilton himself has said that he when he moved right he saw that Maldonado had come out which is why he moved back across. In the circumstances it would have been of no detriment for Hamilton to have slowed sufficiently to ensure that Maldonado had passed him. Not that it excuses Maldonado who shouldn't have done what he did and is at fault for the incident which the stewards have identified by giving him a penalty.

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

90% Maldonaldo 10% Hamilton for the second incident after crossing the chequered flag. I do believe it was accidental as Maldonaldo himself pointed out that neither of them had an incentive to drive aggressively never mind making contact since the flag had gone. In that respect, a 5 grid pen for Maldonaldo seems fair (even if a bit lenient) as it was a dangerous move regardless of intention. Reprimand for Hamilton is a borderline (he gave Maldonaldo plenty of space) but not outrageous. So to sum up, the stewards didn't do half bad.

For much lols, trying popping by the Autosport forums. The thread there is polarised on this one as expected for anything involving the use of the word "Hamilton"; half want Maldonaldo's head and a race ban and the other half claims it was all Hamilton's fault moving in on the Williams. Normally it's PlanetF1 that's troll central but it looks like the summer break has everyone on edge, lol.

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I think even Hamilton said that he had been in Maldonado's blind spot when the touch happened and Maldonado confessed to "not knowing what happened" regarding the incident.

Sounds pretty much exactly like what I said two pages back.

EDIT:

[emphasis added]

[emphasis added]

9. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Other way around: "So I went back and then he was in a bit of a blind spot". Means that Hamilton couldn't see him. Its quite hard for Hamilton to be in Maldonado's blind spot when the blind spot is behind you... It's quite easy to see a car ahead of you.

Quite honestly I don't see how anyone can possibly be defending Maldonado in this situation or laying any blame on Hamilton (for the incident itself, not the events before it).

Maldonado comes behind hamilton
    Maldonado draws alongside
    Hamilton notices and pulls to the left (you can see in the footage), now close to the edge of the track in a wide section
    Maldonado cuts in in front of him

What do you expect Hamilton to do? I heard some people saying he should have braked. Really? You expect that Hamilton would somehow be psychic and know that Maldonado was going to drive into him? By the time Hamilton noticed Maldonado would have been on top of him. You really think it is reasonable to expect a car to break heavily just because another car has drawn alongside it on a wide section of track just on the off chance that the guy behind the wheel is a nutter and it going to drive over your front wing?

100% blame on Maldonado, no other position can be reasonably argued. Of course Hamilton could have prevented it (by not driving for instance), but that doesn't mean Maldonado gets off some of the responsibility.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2011
  10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm not saying Maldonado is above blame, all I'm saying is that it wasn't deliberate and he's not the vile scumbag most people (including the Beeb commentary team) are making him out to be.

Frankly, it was entirely Maldonado's fault but I don't believe it was malicious intent - just sloppy driving.

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I am not a happy bunny, I've been called into work.

12. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

tape it

13. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

What a first 5 laps!!!

14. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Ferrari are so fast up the hill!

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

What the **** is that stupid **** doing?

EDIT: Go on haters, blame that ****ing one on Hamilton.

16. faugusztin

Driving in straight line on the side of the track ? The question is what was Hamilton doing ? Why did he pull on Kobayashi ?

PS: And no, this is not about being haters. They were side by side, Hamilton pulled on Kobayashi. It is a racing incident, but Kobayashi is hardly at fault for the crash.

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm sorry but what the **** are you talking about? Hamilton was in front and positioning himself for the corner. You can't drive up the outside of a car and then just decide to turn in. Kobayashi was entirely at fault for attempting an absolutely impossible move.

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Are you ****ing blind? Watch the damn replay, he didn't move a damn inch. Perfectly straight, no movement left or right and had just, a split second before impact, applied the brakes for Les Combes.

19. faugusztin

I did watch the replay. It was Hamilton who moved a bit to the left, so he would have a bit better turn to the right. And that was the moment when the crash happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u36Zs_1IAds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPg4ZirsJII

Actually, both were going in the straight lines. The problem is that Hamilton was going to the left side, where his rear right wheel crashed in side of Kobayashi's car. And no offense, but Hamilton should have checked if the space where he is going is empty.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

********, Kobayashi shouldn't have been sticking his car into a gap that wasn't there. He didn't move across it was the racing line after being defensive.