1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Counter-Strike: Global Offensive gets cross-platform multiplayer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2011.

1. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

When oh when will the penny drop..

3. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

That function hasn't worked as long as its been there. Autoaim is an sv_ variable in early half-life.

Besides, Console vs PC has already been done. Quake 3 Arena was released on the Dreamcast and a map pack was shortly developed to allow PC's to connect to Dreamcast servers. The rape that followed was hilarious.

Controllers will never rival KB+Mouse for FPS.

4. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

The game lacks iron-sights. So it looks 5+ years old.

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Iron sights aren't that great. I prefer not having them, otherwise machine guns have too much of an advantage.

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

CS came out before optical mice, I specifically remember players making the switch to first gen opticals like the intelli-mouse explorer and the logitechs. They were around 800 dpi. But remember the game still has an ingame sensitivity, I recall most top level players (when I was active in tournaments) using low sensitivity and using relatively big gestures.

If some people want to play with smaller wrist movements, simple enough to turn up the sensitivity. In all my years as a FPS player I have never once fidgeted with DPI

7. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Any serious efforts to make one big happy family is fine by me.

8. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

But a family means kids! :worried:

9. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

have to love how everyone is confusing sensitivity with DPI.

Yes increasing DPI will increase the sensitivity, but they are not synonymous. Metarinka here came close, I play with a high DPI mouse (4000 DPI) but have the games sensitiviy LOW.

Higher DPI is primarily meant to SMOOTH the movement, and be more ACCURATE, rather than speed it up.
    think of a 10MP photo vs a 1MP photo. Which more accurately shows the original subject? Or HDTVs vs Standard Def TVs. Which shows smoother, more accurate images?

You would be dumb not to use a high dpi mouse. Yes the higher dpi increases sensitivity, but both windows and 95% of PC games have a slider to reduce this.

High DPI is like Anti-aliasing for mice.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dear lord iwill buy this just to inflate my own stats.

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Hopefully they keep the "Player List", Muted option. The good thing about dedicated servers is they have admins that mute players for whatever reason (or for no reason).

Does the PS3 still only have 1 keyboard/mouse that works with it or will any USB set work?

12. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I doubt MS will ever give in to SW integration, which kind of sucks. I still love my 360 though.

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I was going to make that dinstinction. the point I was going to get at is that you don't need an X DPI mouse to play competitively, if all the best pro CS players made due with 800 DPI intellimice and the likes than your pidly 2000 DPI modern mouse will probably fare fine. The first thing is very good aim, the second is a good surface. I would say those make a bigger difference than running at 800 DPI or over 9000

14. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

For me higher resolution helps give me more accurate control of the mouse, hence better aim.

I'm not saying you can't play well with low dpi if you're used to it, but higher dpi does help.
    It's like saying competitive gamers used to play on dial up Internet, so anyone using broadband is wasting their time.

Just for clarification, in most games my in-game sensitivity is set to below 3. My 8yr old Viewsonic mouse plugged in at that setting is like dragging the mouse through treacle lol.. A full swipe across my 12" wide mouse mat would turn me maybe 20 degrees. I still need reasonable gestures to move around. Not little wrist twitches.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference

Tags: Add Tags